Waterfall Branch Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Guntersville, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 492 feet Route Type: Loop

Off the Campground Road

100% do not recommend this trail for literally ANYONE!!! The trail that is used to track what’s here on AllTrails is actually 2 or 3 other trails , and when you’re supposed to hit the waterfall and continue back through to loop back where you start at the lodge, the ‘trail’ that may have existed at one point that they want you to follow is washed out and just about impossible to follow and trails up Taylor mountain - you literally have to climb the mountain which almost looks like a cliff face! On top of it all, the trail isn’t exceptionally beautiful and there are a bunch of wood bridges you have to cross that are a little sketchy and some stone make shift bridges that are washed out. Beyond that, the waterfall you’re supposed to come up on through this trail is literally called dry falls. Supposedly the falls are supposed to be really incredible in the spring, which is why we decided to go ahead once we saw the name... It was totally dry, barely even some trickle from the rain water caught in the falls. We literally ended up taking the trail to where the falls are supposed to be and ended up hiking all the way back to the base where the road runs directly alongside the trail and followed the road back up to the lodge where we started and parked our cars. I don’t know who put this trail on here or who decided this should be ranked easy, but they definitely need to take this whole ‘trail map’ off of AllTrails IMMEDIATELY! The misinformation led to a lot of problems since I had two younger kids with me!!! If you’re coming to Lake Guntersville State Park for hiking check out the trail maps on the state park site! I will not be using AllTrails for any of the other trails in the park for the duration of our trip seeing as how badly this one went!

They are updating the trails in this park so towards the end you have to take the more traveled trails because this app map is waaaaay off lol. Also of you take waterfall trail you have to take old still trail THEN take Cascade trail Super hard to miss and get lost lol. from Cascade take Taylor MTN trail and your set from there. Also this app says easy but this is a TOUGH hike. It was rough terrain all the way around and my 8 and 9 year old were not happy I dragged them through the woods lol.

I did part of this trail along with Moonshine & Butler Pass to make a loop. ( App does not agree with State Park Map, showed Terrell Trail) app notified me few times that I was off trail but signs in woods says Waterfall and app was correct later no real trouble finding my way, pretty trail and actually had water but more like small cascade instead of falls ***zoom in on map to see that there is NO trail on left side instead you will follow The Terrell Trail***

Nice trail. Only exception was that the All Trail route took us off of the real trail at around 2.6 miles. Easily found our way back though.

Kind of a rough hike waterfalls dried up

Mon Mar 04 2019

Poorly marked. Had to call lodge desk to make sure that it was the waterfall trail.

Sat Aug 04 2018

IF you follow the trail loop as outlined on the map, you will undoubtedly agree this isn’t an easy trail UNLESS you are a triathlete and/or used to hiking in the Rockies. What the heck? Easy going back up to the top on the Taylor Mountain trail? Come on. Really? If you are in average shape, this is a workout...again, the whole loop as diagrammed above. Poorly maintained and apparently not so frequently used. There are prettier hikes. Also, longer than 3.1 miles.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Nice peaceful hike with the family. No waterfall though at this time. 8/29/2017

Sun May 14 2017

Should have read Marshal's review. Everything was peachy until we reached the waterfall rocks. What the actual hell. We finally backtracked to the road and called it a day.

Mon Apr 17 2017

The trail was very poorly marked and somewhat overgrown once you got to the cascade part of the trail. As a result there were several times that we got off the trail and had to backtrack two or 3 times. The biggest problem is I was following the trail on my phone but at the bottom where you start up the hill and along the rock where the water should flow, the trail indicated here is not accurate. The line follows the rocks/water flow but the trail actually only crosses the path and then heads uphill north of the path and somewhat parallel to the rocks for a while then heads north to the "bear cave" and runs in the middle of the loop.

Thu Jun 02 2016

The trails we hiked were not kept up or clearly marked.

Sun Oct 19 2014

There wasn't actually a waterfall, but it was still a beautiful trail! Lots of beautiful flowers, and it wasn't too hard to hike. Went geocaching and found the "Bear Cave cache"... So much fun :)

Sat Jul 05 2014

Well, there was no real waterfall to speak of. It was a good exercise and plenty of wild blackberries to eat along the mostly uphill hike. It is mostly shaded and is nice scenery. There are a few places for your dog to get fresh water, on top of what you'll want to bring for her. It's definitely not the trail for you when you are in poor shape (my husband and I struggled a bit and we are not in awful shape) but my 15 year old was unphased. Next time we go it will be on a day with MUCH less humidity.

Mon Jan 14 2013

very short trail with nice views and a bit of history.

Sun Jan 13 2013

the waterfall was a disappointment. Although the rest of the trail was great and we had lunch sitting below the cliffs. It connects to Old Still Path.

Sat Mar 19 2016