Walls of Jericho Trail

Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hytop, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

Not gonna lie, this trail is tough. Deserves the hard rating. The description says the trail is 6.6 miles, but my tracker says it was 8.8 miles. It’s not a loop trail, you go up the same way you come down. The initial descent is easy, but it was completely uphill on the way back. I felt like it would never end and we would never get there. Make sure you bring more than enough water. I brought a filled 17 oz bottle and four regular sized water bottles, and that wasn’t enough. I would bring 6-8 bottles. The elevation gain is intense on the way back up. You should probably be in fairly good shape to hike this trail. I would go in the fall because it was really hot during the summer. Also, wear bug spray. Bugs are flying around you just about every second you’re hiking. And while going down the trail you walk into spiderwebs pretty much the whole time. Some of it is overgrown, so I’d be sure to check yourself and others for ticks when you get done. The views were decent, but not the best. It was just an okay hike, not really worth it in my opinion.

Great trail! Section along the river is far better than the rim overlooking it. If you like waterfalls, rivers, cool rock formations, you will love this one. If not, why are you hiking?

great trail. return trip kicks your ass. take your time it's all up hill

Beautiful trail, make sure to bring enough water (at least 3 liters). Steep elevation gain on the way back.

Took the Tennessee Trail head on June 2.
This trail is a lot harder and longer than the Alabama Trail Head. Total trip was 9.3 miles with an elevation gain of 1750 FT. My total in motion time was 4.25 hours. Average pace was 27:16/m.
A couple areas on the trail it took a little to find the blaze. It could be marked a little better but you can tell this trail is not heavily traveled. I only saw 2 people on the Tennessee Trail before reaching and after leaving the main trail down by the creek bed.
You meet up with it at the first water crossing.
Found a beautiful living spring. This is a tough trail so be ready for it. Pace yourself. It is beautiful. You do get to see the vista of the gorge from the rim on part of the hike. It is not marked on the app so you will look like you are way off the trail.

What a trail! Definitely not easy but wasn’t too difficult. Once you get to the first waterfall, be sure to climb over and see the end of the trail with a cave at the end. We were so impressed and will definitely be back to hike it again!

I did this trail a couple weeks ago starting at the Alabama trailhead. It was fairly dry and I only had to worry about wet boots trying to cross into the amphitheater. There was no waterfall at the actual bowl of the gorge. There was still plenty of water to cool off in, though. It was 3.5mile downhill hike and 3.5 miles uphill. It doesn’t seem difficult going in, but man-oh-man, will it test you going out. Its a good workout. I’ve done harder inclines. I would rate this as a moderate/strenuous hike and very well marked. Happy Trails!

A pot of gold at the end of the rainbow... or in this case a refreshing spring-fed pool awaits anyone willing to tackle this 3.3 challenge.

There were a couple of neat features including a small cave and a natural spring.

Bring your A-game for the 1.5 hr. hike back to the top!

Super solid trail! I wouldn't say that this is the most difficult trail, it's kinda just what you make of it. The rock formations at the end are definitely where things can get technical. Took us about 3 hours round trip and we went faster through it than I would have liked as we were pressed for time.

Unfortunately the waterfall at the end was dry when we went, guess we'll have to come back!

I live 10 minutes outside Nashville and I'm running out of hard trails in my area. So, I guess I leave the state sometimes now.

This is one of those times it was worth it. It's pretty much switchbacks a good portion of the way, with some interspersed downhills here and there. It rained on me for everything but the first 10 minutes, and I was still happy I did it.

The end is where it's at though. As others have said, when you think you're at the end, keep going. On the right when it looks like the trail dead ends in water, there's a trail that goes up the ridge further. That's the real end. Look at the pictures on here for what looks like a big stone bowl. If you aren't seeing that, you aren't done.

This was my second time doing this hike. Little did I that I would become the unwilling chaperone to about six other hikers that were as green as they come. PLEASE, if you are an inexperienced hiker, get a few treks under your belt before tackling this one. Today very well could have turned into a rescue effort. Hard on this app means HARD.

We did the Alabama trail in and out. 2nd time doing this hike. Several unique features along the hike and the destination is really cool. Took us an hour and a half in and an hour and a half out. We spent about an hour exploring the different falls and streams. Make sure to climb all the way up. We brought swim suits and took a quick dip. Water was VERY cold. I would not recommend jumping right in. It will take your breath. The hike out is pretty tough. Apple Watch measured and roughly 3.75 miles each way. Hiked 5/10/18. Started 6:20 Am. We were the only ones there but saw several people coming in as we were going out.

The hike was approx 3 miles each way and took us 1:45 in and about 2 hours out. We spent about 5 hours total. We took it pretty slow...it could definitely be done faster.

The first half of the hike in was all descent so that meant the last half on the way out was a bit challenging. I’d say it was a moderate ascent.

We wore hiking boots and brought Chacos for the falls. We each packed a small towel and swam in underwear. The water is cold but refreshing.

The falls were small but beautiful. Make sure you climb all the way up to see the hidden falls and views. I’ve definitely seen bigger water falls but I was happy with our trip. It was a nice spot for lunch and our dogs enjoyed the hike.

We ( ages 63-68) enjoyed this beautiful hike ! We parked at Hytop. Took 2 hrs and 15 min to descend. We had water shoes so we were able to wade across and climb on the rocks. Had a snack and headed back out. The trail is well marked. I was expecting something very difficult but coming out wasn’t as bad as Stone Door. We got there about 8 and were the first ones. By lunchtime , there were 7 cars in the lot. I recommend his hike - just be careful on he rocks.

Awesome hike! We entered via the TN trailhead. May try the AL Trail next time. Falls were beautiful. We are planning to camp in the bottom next time so we'll have more time to explore.

great hike but milage is not acurate. its longer than site says.

went in the spring and hammock camped next to the cemetery. got caught in a down pour for 8 hours. the scout troop that were also there had 2 - 4 inches of water thru their camp. so if you plan on camping in spring time definitely recommend rain fly and hammock. the next morning the waterfall was raging and a awesome site to see water shooting out of the rock face.

Beautiful hike, the trail is rocky and slick in spots due to the mudd but well worth it. The hike in is very easy for the most part you are hiking into the valley so it's all down hill, coming back out can be challenging but not difficult. The waterfalls were full due to the recent rains. the swift current in the water crossings could be a problem for some. all in all great hike would do it again.

A fun day hike! Challenging enough to make you feel good when you reach the car but easy enough that my 12 year old was able to do it as his first ever hike. Variety of terrain and great views. Definitely would do it again!

Great trail! Brought my Chacos and they were perfect for crossing the river right before the waterfall. Keep climbing for a bonus waterfall. Love this hike.

Went yesterday. As everyone says, the hike in is easy- back, not so much! But worth it because it’s beautiful right now. Saw wild roses, geraniums, irises, trillium, phlox, violets, larkspur, and catch-fly (bright red). We caught a glimpse of a pileated woodpecker. The water is flowing well. We brought water shoes to cross the creek and were glad because we had dry shoes to hike out. Bring plenty of water!

Absolutely beautiful!!! The hike out was definitely difficult but well worth it!! Took my 9 year old son, and we hike at least 2x/month, and he said this was his favorite hike so far. I would not recommend this hike for beginners.

We went after a good bit of rain, so the creek crossing (you step on rocks to cross, right before the waterfalls) was close to impossible without getting water in your boots. It was absolutely worth it to have wet shoes, because the water features were awesome. So carry extra socks. Also, due the the uphill climb on the return trip, allow much more time to return.

Loved the trail, it is difficult towards the end. Well worth it!

Fun trail but as the reviews before me said, it is a valley so the hard part is in the second half of the hike. I think it's a pretty good trail for a range of hikers - if you're an avid hiker it's not a challenge but it's still nice and if you're newish it'll be difficult but manageable. There are definitely prettier waterfalls in this part of the country that take less effort to get to but if you want to get some exercise in it's worth checking out.

The trail is pretty easy to follow and completely empty when I went. I started from the Alabama side though so I'm not sure how it is from the Tennessee side. You hike down through some woods, across a creek, past a small cemetery, and end up in a natural amphitheater. The trail just sorta ends and you can explore the area. I sorta wish I had brought some sandals when I got to the end b/c most of the rocks were submerged so I ended up getting my feet and shoes wet trying to get closer to the waterfall (and hiking in wet shoes is never fun). Do be careful while exploring the area though. I slipped and fell on the wet rocks and got bruised pretty bad.

Beautiful. Completely worth the time and effort!

My garmin tracked this at 4.8 in and 4.8 out. Not sure where AllTrails get 6.6 in/out. Not accurate. It’s well over 8+ Miles. Also, If you are a avid hiker, I would disagree with the rating of Hard. Out is up, but if you are in pretty good shape this is not a hard day hike. Beautiful!

This was an extremely challenging trail, but it doesn’t get challenging until close to the actual falls and of course the OUT and UP part.

We dropped a car at the Tennessee side and drove back to Alabama side and started there so that we could through hike. I think the through hike was the best idea because we got to see different things which kept it rewarding rather than an out and back situation.

It’s worth it but if it’s rainy it is quite slippery and a little scary. Trekking poles or walking sticks are essential in this sort of situation and would help even if it’s dry when you go.

A beautiful place! Easy hike in strenuous hike out.

Great Hike! But would not give it a "hard" difficulty.