Walls of Jericho Trail

Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hytop, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

22 minutes ago

Went out on a misty, wet, Sunday and had a blast. Took our time and it was about 1.5hr down to the falls, and 1.75-2hr up so not bad at all. Everything was flowing great! I was pumped to get to visit while it's not a drought.

Great trail, although all of our phones were tracking closer to 8 miles (Iphone health app, not sure how accurate). Half of our group stuck to the main trail, the other half took two or three trails that looked like short cuts. They went straight down and would meet back up with the main trail. It probably shaved 30-45 minutes off of our time going down. These were pretty steep going back up. We went this past weekend, and everything was so green! Most of the trail before the creek is dirt, but after the creek it gets a lot more rocky. We got a late start, so by the time we reached the falls there was not much sunlight hitting it. I would suggest starting in the morning if you want good pictures. Don't forget to keep climbing. The trail doesn't end in the big bowl shape - you can climb over it to see another waterfall.
Hike back was pretty much all uphill - you definitely need lots of water.
Also, if you can help it, go when there has been more rain. It was pretty dry when we went, although still totally worth the hike. Beautiful place!

Worth the trip if the waterfall isn't dry.

I am a Girl Scout Leader who just led a group of scouts ages 12-14 on their first backpacking trip on this trail. I have to say that this trail was the absolute perfect place to take the scouts for their first experience. It is long and strenuous enough to give them a taste of 'real' backpacking, while at the same time very accommodating for group camping and novices. The trails are clean and well-maintained, impossible to accidentally get off-trail for more than a few feet without realizing it, nowhere for anyone to really get lost, plenty of space for multiple groups to camp - with fire rings, and a nice satisfying 'destination'.

Yes, the hike back up is exhausting, and by all accounts on our devices, the full round trip is closer to 9 miles than 6, but it's still very doable. We aren't exactly an athletic group, but we handled it with 20-30 lb packs, one step at a time, and made about the same time up as we did down. (Though we consumed a lot more water on the way up!) Some negative reviews about the strenuousness gave some cause for concern while we were preparing this trip, but having been through it now I am confident that anyone who is of reasonable health & knowledgeable in standard good hiking practices can manage without a problem. We observed some woefully underprepared hikers on this trip, and I suspect perhaps these people are among those who have written reviews about how this hike was such a killer. If you do not have any prohibiting health problems & enough water, food, and appropriate clothes & footwear, you will be fine. Exhausted and sore, but satisfied. "Moderately strenuous" is a good descriptor. That is to say, accessible to non-athletic people, but expect several water & rest stops, and a sore bod when you're done! Even day hikers should plan on 3L of water and a good, comfortable day-pack to carry your extras. Lunch, snacks, incidentals, and possibly some spare shoes or water shoes if you plan on exploring all the way to the farthest Walls, especially if the water table is high. It's navigable without stepping in the water, but several of my scouts took a tumble and were glad for the extra set of shoes I had insisted they bring. I myself, removed my hiking boots and put on some rugged sandals and walked straight through the water to the rocks. I'd also recommend a good walking stick. Not too necessary for most of the hike, but approaching the Walls and on the rocks therein, that three-points-of-contact rule of thumb saved me from a tumble several times.

Another Alabama surprise! This hike is a wonderful day hike or a great camping spot! First two miles is simply a walk in the woods, but after the 2nd foot bridge it turns into a nice trek up the rocks! When I arrived March 9th I was surprised to find snow on the ground. Then the snow melted into a nice muddy clay. Leaving me with little tread on my hiking boots. Nice slippery walk! So watch your footing & take it slow. Great trail for kids & dogs but watch them close as a few parts are steep! The trail is well marked with red spray paint. But once it's time to cross the shallow river the trail disappears. Walk to the left after crossing the river into the amphitheater! It's breathtaking! I thought it was cooler than the waterfall! You'll then climb up a opening in the rocks & walk straight back. Then climb up a few more rocks & boom! You're there! Take your time, drink lots of fluids because your easy two mile hike down is two miles straight up!!! Happy hiking! Pack it in pack it out!

Loved it !

Great trail for hiking

BEAUTIFUL trail, I think, one of the best I've ever done. I started from the Tn side, all the way to the walls. The way down to the wall is easy, the way back is hard, the whole trail is around 12 miles, but believe me when I say, it is worth it! make sure when you get to the walls, you climb the two rock levels, and keep going all the way to the end, there is a surprise. If you want, don't bring water, so you can have less weight, but bring a good way to filter it, there is plenty of natural streams.