Walls of Jericho Trail

Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hytop, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

Always enjoy this day hike trail. It took my husband and I two hours each way (4 hours round trip) and I am feeling it in my legs today! The majority of the hike is in the middle of the woods so you are in the shade mostly, which is a plus here in Alabama. Very little water running yesterday but if you go all the way to the end where the waterfall usually runs you will see some pools of water and serves as a nice swimming hole.

My husband and I hiked the trail yesterday for the first time. We left the trailhead at 8:30am and saw almost no one on the way down. The hike in took us 2 hours and 10 minutes, with some photography stops along the way. The water in creeks and falls was low as there hasn't been recent rain. The falls were small in the first canyon opening and the upper falls area had none at all. Towards the middle of the day, more hikers showed up in the canyon, around the falls. Everyone was very friendly. The hike up was strenuous, but we were able to do it in just over 2 hours (and were grateful for our trekking poles!) We enjoyed the hike very much - lots of pretty flowers, interesting trees and rock formations. We would like to go again after a rainy period to get a different view of the creeks and falls.

Challenging hike. My friend and I started at the AL trailhead. It took us about 4 hours. Seemed to be uphill both ways. We stopped and had lunch, took pics and looked in a couple of the caves. Someone told us along the way that when we felt like we were there to keep going past the waterfall area and then it would open up and you would be surrounded by rock walls. She was right. It was beautiful. Photos do not do it justice. Pay close attention to the red blazes. It got a little hairy about 1.5 Miles in from fallen trees.

The hard part is coming back up but it's worth it for the waterfall area. Beautiful hike!

Actually started at the Tennessee trailhead instead of the Alabama trailhead which made the hike a bit longer which I did not mind at all. When you hit the Alabama/Tennessee line the trail is not marked but you follow part of the horse trail going right and you will see a small foot trail a little ways down to your left. That will get you across the creek on a footbridge. Enjoyed the hike very much. At end end of the trail before you start back is very fun to explore. Have to climb up a few rocks up past the small waterfall to get the real view of the whole area. That part can be a challenge but well worth it! Going back out was mainly uphill so it was rough. Needless to say I feel it in my calf muscles lol. Have fun hiking. You won't be disappointed.

Really enjoy this hike. Make sure you have a hiking stick of some sort during the last quarter or so of the trail. It can be very very slick.

Well worth the hike! The waterfall was beautiful! We were able to do the hike in around 3 1/2 hours. We didn't waste any time! We crossed the path of a couple of snakes. Watch out!

Took several hours for my son & I to complete. . At times was strenuous. We paced ourselves & it was just fine. We had to use our sticks. Very scenic so take your camera. Take some extra time around the waterfall to explore. We would most definitely do this again. Next time I would like to stay to camp & have more time to explore the area.
No garbage cans available so you must take out anything you bring in & one port-o-john in the parking area. The area was well maintained.

Consistent with other reviews.. hike in was downhill and relatively chill. Hike out was no joke. I also couldn't relax at the walls since I knew I needed to conserve energy for the steep hike out. That is my own neurotic problem. Passed about 6 groups of people catching their breath on way up.. so I would really say "hard" is accurate. Took us about 5 ish hours including about 30 minutes at the walls.

The waterfall and the Walls are beautiful and definitely worth the hike! The hike in is very easy but on the way out it can be a little difficult but not to bad! We did it as a day hike and it took about 6 hours including an hour and a half break at the swimming hole/waterfall.

Trails is mostly forest and can be boring at times. Not difficult at all. Final destination is beautiful and the water while cold is refreshing and deep enough to swim. Depending on the time of the year the waterfall at the top/pond may not be present; was not in August.