Walls of Jericho Trail

Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hytop, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

Gotta go back to finish. Definitely harder than it looks with a kid strapped to your back. Mostly uphill on the way out.

This was an awesome trail. Don't be fooled by the lovely hike down, going back up will take some stamina. Trail is slick close to the water fall but worth it anyway. The swimming hole is great and also beautiful!

Very challenging coming back up.

relatively sightless hike down unless you love staring at trees, a little tough hiking back up to the trail head, tons of bugs including a couple hornets. but my goodness i cannot wait to go back ! it takes some coaxing but when she gives up her secrets it is awe-insiring . recommend hiking up the river bed as far as your skill level allows, so worth it

Hiked it on the 4th of July. It was a little treacherous towards the end due to the strong rain storm earlier in the day. I blew out the sole in my old boots so I could not make the final climb past the swimming hole. Shoe became too slick. But I will do the hike it again. It is well worth your time. It is a great adventure if you take your time. Trail is well marked. Was very slippery but still manageable. Be prepared for this trip and if you are not in good shape you may not enjoy it. The descent of course becomes the assent and it is over 1000 feet. It will test your limits somewhat so be ready. I am 61 and I did it in 5 1/2 hours with a stop at the swim hole for about 40 min.

Great hike. The only downside was the trail was extremely slippery in certain areas. My 57 yo dad and I still made it to the falls and out in around 5 hours with a 30 minute lunch break. I would love to do it again but next time I plan to camp.

Challenging but a great hike

My hike was a year ago, but I wanted to add something no one has touched on yet. The group I was with camped in the clearing near the Cemetery. The night sky was breathtaking. There are very few light sources there, and it was a wonderful bonus to an awesome hike. Definitely a consideration for those thinking of overnighting.

Trail was marked well. Steep decent means steep ascent. We are slow hikers so it took us about 7.5 hours roundtrip with a short lunch break at the falls. Good places to stop along the way. Saw lots of mushrooms and some flowers. Worth doing. Take plenty of water.

Great hike! Good info on the reviews. My friend and I got there around 9am and were back on the road by 230pm with a long swimming /lunch break. The path is shaded and the swimming hole is a perfect reward for the steep downward hike. Trailhead and trail marked very clearly, no way to lose your way. Be sure to hike past the swimming hole to the final cave/waterfall depending on recent weather. A few primitive campgrounds are available.

Really enjoyed it. I would definitely agree with the hard rating. Downhill practically the whole way in and uphill the whole way out. Good workout no doubt. Nice falls. Be sure to climb as far back as you can. Be careful can be some slippery rocks along the way.

This hike was a blast, I highly recommend. Trailhead was easy to find from the highway-make sure to start at the hiking trailhead, not the horseback trailhead (they are indicated by separate signs). Once on the trail, decent descent via switchbacks to get to the main falls area, including two bridge crossings. The biggest mistake my group almost made was turning around when we got to the beginning of the main Falls area. Luckily, two gentlemen told us to cross the stream and continue on a trail up to the main falls (the one pictured at the top of the page). It is essential to have waterproof shoes/boots to do this but crossing the stream and continuing was VERY worth it. The Falls were beautiful!!! Does involve a little climbing to get to after crossing the stream. Decent ascent back to the trailhead, but nothing overly strenuous. Did see a snake-thought it was a copperhead but could have also been a banded watersnake. Decent amount of people throughout, so wouldve felt safe alone. Was about a 7 mile hike total.