Walls of Jericho Trail

Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hytop, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

You can also hike from the Tennessee side. Continue north on highway 79 crossing over into Tennessee. It is 7.5 miles round trip but the climb out is less steep. Trail is well marked. Parking area and trailhead are clearly marked. I jog/run this trail.

Great trail we did a day hike and the waterfall was flowing well when we were there. Hardest part is coming back up. We would definitely hike this trail again!

This is a beautiful trail. I’ve never been lucky enough to go while the waterfall is flowing. Be prepared for many stops on the way out.

Well worth the long trip there and the even harder trip back! It was beautiful! I went on 11/10/17.

This was a pretty pleasant hike with lovely sights at the Walls, which are deserving of the title. Like many others have said: beware the hike back. It's about 2-2.5 hours one way, so don't neglect your need for a breather and water, especially going back up.
Also, the water is cold as hell... so mind your footwear. Even with my favorite hiking boots, I manage to slip on a rock near the main part. Watch out for that.

The hike in was pretty easy, hike out was tough, especially the last mile or so. Beautiful hike, well worth it!

Challenging but totally worth it!

We were a week late for the leaves, but great hike and beautiful ending. gps measured 3.5 miles. 7 miles total. THE hike out is pretty difficult especially carrying a pack.

Loved this trail. They weren’t kidding when they said the trek up would be tough, but it was worth it. I liked how the trail was winding back and forth instead of a straight incline up. Definitely climb the rocks to get to the final falls, but watch your step! It can be slick. Also, there were lots of bees when we went last week - the parking lot was swarming with them.

Great trail! Tougher coming out so make sure you are prepared unless really experienced.

love this trail I go usually once a month. a little tough going back up. I usually tote a backpack and it's really not that bad. at the bottom (optional) be sure to climb the rock and go seethe hidden waterfall. it's so worth it and only a little farther.

Did both the alabama/tenessee trailheads. had a great hike but no water in the falls. looking forward to the trip again

Phew. Long but great trail. Creepy old graveyard in the trail.

Moderate difficulty trail, less experienced hikers need to pace themselves. the hike out is much harder than the hike in. Lots of young growth for the first 2/3 of the trail so line-of-site is pretty limited. Rock walls start to appear once past the cemetery, they really are amazing. I went on a Saturday and passed roughly 50 hikers.

We did the whole trail with our five dogs (which at times made a difficult trail a little more difficult

Always enjoy this day hike trail. It took my husband and I two hours each way (4 hours round trip) and I am feeling it in my legs today! The majority of the hike is in the middle of the woods so you are in the shade mostly, which is a plus here in Alabama. Very little water running yesterday but if you go all the way to the end where the waterfall usually runs you will see some pools of water and serves as a nice swimming hole.

My husband and I hiked the trail yesterday for the first time. We left the trailhead at 8:30am and saw almost no one on the way down. The hike in took us 2 hours and 10 minutes, with some photography stops along the way. The water in creeks and falls was low as there hasn't been recent rain. The falls were small in the first canyon opening and the upper falls area had none at all. Towards the middle of the day, more hikers showed up in the canyon, around the falls. Everyone was very friendly. The hike up was strenuous, but we were able to do it in just over 2 hours (and were grateful for our trekking poles!) We enjoyed the hike very much - lots of pretty flowers, interesting trees and rock formations. We would like to go again after a rainy period to get a different view of the creeks and falls.

Challenging hike. My friend and I started at the AL trailhead. It took us about 4 hours. Seemed to be uphill both ways. We stopped and had lunch, took pics and looked in a couple of the caves. Someone told us along the way that when we felt like we were there to keep going past the waterfall area and then it would open up and you would be surrounded by rock walls. She was right. It was beautiful. Photos do not do it justice. Pay close attention to the red blazes. It got a little hairy about 1.5 Miles in from fallen trees.

The hard part is coming back up but it's worth it for the waterfall area. Beautiful hike!

Actually started at the Tennessee trailhead instead of the Alabama trailhead which made the hike a bit longer which I did not mind at all. When you hit the Alabama/Tennessee line the trail is not marked but you follow part of the horse trail going right and you will see a small foot trail a little ways down to your left. That will get you across the creek on a footbridge. Enjoyed the hike very much. At end end of the trail before you start back is very fun to explore. Have to climb up a few rocks up past the small waterfall to get the real view of the whole area. That part can be a challenge but well worth it! Going back out was mainly uphill so it was rough. Needless to say I feel it in my calf muscles lol. Have fun hiking. You won't be disappointed.