Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsboro, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,348 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Hiked part of this trail in July, unfortunately there wasn’t much water so the waterfalls were dry. We were slightly disappointed by the views but it was a fun challenging hike (or at least the first half was).

I was hoping the streams were higher after the many rain storms. The Walls were completely dry. No running water. Still beautiful though.

The trail 'There and Back' is 8.3 miles! I tracked it with Garmin-Instinct watch. The trail is nice and very rewarding when you reach the walls; the waterfall was dry. It took my wife and me two hours each way with 30 minutes of snack and picture taking at the walls. The way back is challenging as you are climbing up for a mile or so; remember, when you cross the second creek bridge, stay right. You will see two poles mark read-n-white, turn left at the red pole which is the 'southern' trail. From there, you are about 3/4 of a mile and not .5 miles. We enjoyed it and it was a great trail to build my wife's confidence.

The woods were nice...on the way down! Climbing back out to the parking lot was miserable. There are large trees blocking the trail in the middle third of the hike (cemetery to the pool) that were challenging. That section was very slick (even where the rocks looked dry) and muddy. We brought extra water for the hot day (90) and used almost all of it. Above the pool, we couldn't climb up the "steps" that were over hip height for me without abandoning our packs. I love hiking but am not much of a rock climber! The walls themselves are interesting. The bridges were all sturdy. Trails were well marked.

This was a decent hike. All Trails says it was an out and back for a total of 6 miles. We ended up doing 8.3 miles somehow. I would say it's more on the moderate side of "difficult". The trail was easy on the way down, and just barely difficult on the climb back up. Short and sweet. Unfortunately the beautiful pictured waterfall that's sort of in a cavern was dried up and we didn't get to see it. There is a spot about half way through (after the second log-bridge- when you hit a camp site) where it's not very well marked and we couldn't tell which way to go, which makes me think this is where we went wrong which added a few miles onto our hike. Otherwise it was a great day! So, have fun!!

We absolutely loved this trail! One of my favorites EVER! Definitely “hard” for the last third of the hike headed back uphill so save your water and energy for that! Stunning views and water at the end make it 110% worth it and I look forward to going back! We were out for about 4.5 hours so make sure you plan for that time or more if you hike slower. Would suggest taking older children who are ready to put the work out in only!

We decided to camp overnight at the campsites nearest the falls. Since we camped, we carried pretty heavy Ospreys. The hike down was quite enjoyable, we did run into several large groups and had to wait to pass. The hike up and out was super tough for me. I’m thinking without the heavy pack it would’ve been more enjoyable. I also think trek poles would’ve been beneficial with the steep and rocky terrain. With all that said it was AMAZING! It was cool due to all the shade so staying overnight was breezy and nice. The fireflies gave us an amazing light show at night. I’ll be back once the water returns. It was quite dry but uniquely beautiful.

This was a great hike. I was a bit apprehensive due to the difficult hike ratings. However, I didn’t find it difficult. I would personally rate it as moderate. The trail needs a few more markers to keep you on the right path. There is a very large tree down across the trail that is a true hazard as the drop off is extreme if you slipped. I hope this is removed soon. I loved the Walls of Jericho. So cool. It is worth climbing to the top to see the scope of it all and the basin was cool. We did climb down into it as well. The hike back up wasn’t as taxing as I had feared. I will definitely do this hike again. Great weather and great day!

Awesome hike.. Be warned though hiking to the Walls is mostly down hill so coming back is definitely a beast. The hills will have hills ..

Very nice woody trail. Some areas not well marked. Really enjoyed the hike and the falls at the end. Beautiful! I would consider this a moderately difficult trail, but only at the end, otherwise it's pretty easy.

I ran the full 15 miles of this trail with a group of friends this weekend. We started on the Alabama side and parked an aid station (nicely stocked camper van) in the TN parking lot. Since it was Memorial Day weekend the beginning of the trail was busy but once we turned on to the TN route we were the only ones. I suggest taking this route to see the Blow Hole. It was already getting steamy out and once we climbed down the temperature dropped to a very comfortable level. Since the water was not very high we ventured back in to the cave a bit.... the water felt great on our feet. We then continued to the TN parking lot for some cold drinks and some snacks. It was then back down (and up a few times) to head to the water. By the time we got there we were ready for a good soak and it sure did feel amazing. I will admit that by the time we headed back up the last climb the heat started kicking in and there was not much running left. In total this run was 14.5 miles and 3400 feet of climbing.

Pretty cool hike. Not much to look at until you get to the end but it’s worth it.

great trail, but when I was there a couple of years ago, it wasn't well marked

Beautiful but demanding hike with a big payoff at the end. The trail into the actual walls was rocky and uneven so trek pole or walking stick helps. Defiantly don't stop at the first waterfall. If you wade across the stream, you can continue on to the real beautiful section. Save a little gas in the tank for the walk out. It should not be taken lightly.

Easy hike in. Tough hike out. But so very worth it! Skip the campsites by the river and you can camp at a little island right by the falls. The site was flooded by butterflies at dawn. Make sure to explore the spring sourcing the falls. This is my favourite spot in the area.

Always a big pay off when you reach the walls but one heck of a hike back up the mountain.

Great trail, though quite strenuous coming back out at the end of the day. Very interesting karst topography.

loved it. very beautiful.

This is a beautiful hike! It can be difficult but is worth it! The signs aren't exaxtly the greatest for getting you there...but it's manageable. In the summer you can swim at the bottom of the trail at the Walls of Jericho...very cold but refreshing!

trail was great as always .. blue bells where out . on the trail heading back to tenn from Alabama.. !

Be sure to bring an extra pair of shoes that you can get wet, especially if the water is a little high. You'll definitely want to get up close to the falls which requires crossing the creek. The 1,500 ft climb on the way back can be tiring otherwise I would not say this hike is all that difficult especially for experienced hikers. Trail is very well maintained and marked. Just be sure to bring lots of water, you'll need it for the hike back. It's worth it though!

This hike was on my bucket list and it did not disappoint. My family hikes a lot but this was by far the hardest hike we have done. Definitely worth it!! Save most of your energy for the hike back to your car. There are places to stop and rest on the ascent. Beautiful!! Recommended doing this hike when you have a whole day to enjoy!!

Pretty trail. If you hike a lot and would consider yourself in good shape then you can classify this trail as moderate. The ascent isn't bad - I trail ran 90% of this trail. Be careful when it drizzles, the roots and rocks become slick.

It's a great hike.. but like many others have said, save enough gas in the tank for the ascent! I've been doing daily hikes for a few weeks trying to prepare for hikes like this, and I think I still have a ways to go. The tree bridges are a really cool feature. I saw multiple people on them at the same time, but I'd advise against that.

This is the third time for me this year to do WOJ!”0 The trails were dry and the water low enough at The falls to get to the other side and climb up to where the water comes out of the cave. We came across a cluster of butterflies to the right of the first bridge going in. This is a great trail and I feel like anybody can do it if they take their time coming out.

The trail contains beautiful scenery with wildflowers, streams, and lots of trees. Our trip was closer to 8 miles total per my watch. Be sure to cross at the first waterfall and keep going to the very back of the area. Worth every step. My advice is to give yourself extra time coming back since it is quite a climb back out. No cell service after you get about 1/2 mile or so into the trail which is a huge plus in my book.