Sumatanga Mountain Trail

Sumatanga Mountain Trail is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gallant, Alabama that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Great!! I ❤ Sumatanga!!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Great hike! Beautiful view from the top!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Great hike!

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Great hike. Coming down can be tricky when its wet.

Monday, March 17, 2014

This is a great hike, definitely not the easiest I have hiked... but the view from the top is amazing.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

This trail is rated as moderate, but there are portions that "could be" challenging for someone not used to an extended, uphill trek, which this trail definitely has on some portions. Also, even though this is supposed to be a loop trail (unless I just missed something?), I found it to be a point to point trail. There are yellow and blue markings on the trees, which I assumed were the trail indicators, but there are no descriptions as to which is which. We followed the blue markings, and I'm pretty sure we followed the right one. You are in the woods for most of this hike, so there isn't much to see until you get to the top, where can follow the sign the the cross or the wedding Chapel in the opposite direction. There are some pretty good views from there.

I would recommend doing this hike at a cooler time of the year, as there is not much breeze for the largest portion of the trail and, the humidity and gnats flying around your face can make for a very unpleasant hike. I'm glad that I did this hike, but was also disappointed by the overall poor trail markings.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This trail is very short but the view is great. The directions are quite thrown off . Fortunately I live in the area and grew up to it being a hang out spot.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

This trail is not a 4 mile loop. It is a point to point paved trail that runs beside a drained lake. It looks like there used to be an old road that spured off to allow you to go up the mountain,but it is overgrown and impassible after a half mile or so. I would not waste gas money to drive to this trail for any sort of serious running or hiking.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

There is a mapping problem with this trail. When you click on DIRECTIONS, the map comes up with directions to Birmingham Southern College in downtown Birmingham, Alabama which is about 45 to48 mile from Steele, Alabama where Camp Sumatanga, a United Methodist Camp is located and this rtrail is located.