cave

This is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to! It’s a short hike out and back but I would rate this on a moderate level of difficulty due to the inclines and slick trails. Trail heads are clearly marked and it’s immaculately clean/well kept. Permit is easy to obtain and the guys who issue them are super quick to respond and very friendly. I went once in early April ‘18 and back again the following month. The trail holds water pretty well, be sure to bring some good hiking boots and prepare yourself to get a little wet/dirty. When I first went in April, it was still fairly cool so the vegetation was light. I went back about 2 or 3 weeks later after the first real warm up of the spring season and boy did it change! Super lush! Vegetation brings the critters, so pack some deep woods insect repellent. Definitely have a headlamp just in case, it can get dark in some spaces. After a rain, the cave is very wet, but manageable if you stay smart and watch your step. I spent probably 1.5 hrs inside the cave each time, there is such much to see and soak in! There are two waterfalls on either side of the cave, both beautiful and very unique in their own way. Heed warning on the left side....me and a friend did some “off trail” hiking above that waterfall and there were a couple of scary moments. There is a spot for camping on the right side above the cave entrance. It's extremely primitive though, just a heads up. If you’ve never been, I would advise bringing a buddy with you the first time. It’s an incredible spot to share anyway. The most ideal time to go would be fall or early spring. I can’t wait to go back! Really enjoyed both trips and it will forever hold a special place in my heart!