Stephens Gap Cave Trail

Stephens Gap Cave Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Paint Rock, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The Stephens Gap Cave Trail requires a permit before visiting. The permits are free and can be obtained at: https://permits.scci.org/ Please note permits can up to 2 days before approval.

This is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to! It’s a short hike out and back but I would rate this on a moderate level of difficulty due to the inclines and slick trails. Trail heads are clearly marked and it’s immaculately clean/well kept. Permit is easy to obtain and the guys who issue them are super quick to respond and very friendly. I went once in early April ‘18 and back again the following month. The trail holds water pretty well, be sure to bring some good hiking boots and prepare yourself to get a little wet/dirty. When I first went in April, it was still fairly cool so the vegetation was light. I went back about 2 or 3 weeks later after the first real warm up of the spring season and boy did it change! Super lush! Vegetation brings the critters, so pack some deep woods insect repellent. Definitely have a headlamp just in case, it can get dark in some spaces. After a rain, the cave is very wet, but manageable if you stay smart and watch your step. I spent probably 1.5 hrs inside the cave each time, there is such much to see and soak in! There are two waterfalls on either side of the cave, both beautiful and very unique in their own way. Heed warning on the left side....me and a friend did some “off trail” hiking above that waterfall and there were a couple of scary moments. There is a spot for camping on the right side above the cave entrance. It's extremely primitive though, just a heads up. If you’ve never been, I would advise bringing a buddy with you the first time. It’s an incredible spot to share anyway. The most ideal time to go would be fall or early spring. I can’t wait to go back! Really enjoyed both trips and it will forever hold a special place in my heart!

I love this trail!! It's so beautiful! It isn't easy though more like moderate.

AH-MAZ-ING hike! I would rate it between easy and moderate. A lot of rocks and a good leg workout. Mostly uphill on the way in and downhill on the way out.
Path clear, easy to read and folks on trail are SO nice.
When you get to the end, you can go to the top of the waterfall or explore the waterfall inside the cave (off to the left).
*UPDATE: Hiked this for the second time today. If you plan in hiking this trail, you will need the pass code to get in! You can find the website and phone number on the sign posted. If you do not have the code, you WILL NOT get in. This is posted as private property and there are cameras. SO worth it! You MUST explore the cave while you are there!!!
AND PLEASE..... IF YOU HAVE DOGS, TAKE POOP BAGS AND PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG.

This trail is amazing. Definitely bring your hiking boots. I would also rate this as more moderate. It is definitely not for everyone. I went after a rain storm. The cave was beautiful and glowing with lots of water but was extremely slippery. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful.

I gave this a good review because of the vertical pit in the area. I have not seen a trail anywhere labeled as Stephens gap. but there is a nice cave back there. But people need to be careful or they could fall over 100 feet onto nothing but breakdown and boulders. It's a decent walk back to it.

great place to spend day exploring and relaxing. Rocky and slippery but awesome

More direct link for permit online. ^^; https://permits.scci.org/

Beautiful trail but leans toward the moderate side if you’re not real sure footed. Cave and sink hole were fantastic!

Great hike with a nice reward. Very hard to find, print your directions before you go, cell service is non-existent.

Does anybody know the best time of day this time of year to get photos inside the cave on the pedestal?

Stunning view from inside the cave. Great for spelunking. Get your permit from SCCi.org first.

did this trail back in May , nice trail watch out for ticks.......ugghhh...... rappeled the cave 145ish feet.......almost all vertical........met some cool locals.....thanks for letting me use your ropes........! make sure you got your permits......you need them to rap the cave......"scci"

Friday, July 07, 2017

Best time to see a waterfall is when the water is flowing. However most of the "trail" here is simply bare earth/rock where water channelizes to flow down to the creek. If you're gonna do this trail, BRING DRY SHOES TO CHANGE INTO. It rained on us while we were there and we walked through flowing water the majority of the time. There are also some creek crossings you will have to do. The trail is marked with yellow blazes. They're pretty easy to spot but the lower portion of the trail could be marked a little better. There's some tape on tree branches that help but there are so many little flow ways that look like channels that we took the wrong route once or twice. We saw some pink flags leading us up the hillside when we got close to the cave/waterfall and then caught back up with the yellow blazes.

The waterfall and cave is very cool. If you're looking at the waterfall, the cave entrance is to your left. It is fairly easy to climb down. It is mostly rock though and they can get pretty slippery when wet. The view from the pedestal inside the cave is cool but the climb down is a little risky, ESPECIALLY when there is water flowing over the rocks. If you're gonna do it, make sure you have a buddy help you up/down. It isn't worth falling to your death. Look for rocks to hold onto as well when you climb to/from the pedestal.

This is a great hike. Short, easy, and the cave/waterfall are totally worth it. Kids would love it but be careful with them. I wish I could give it 4.5 stars but I can't do I will give it 4 stars because of what I mentioned above.

Friday, July 07, 2017