South Plateau Loop

South Plateau Loop is a 3.3 mile loop trail located near Huntsville, Alabama. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I really enjoyed this trail. Found lots of geocaches along the way, too.

nice and easy hike. We missed the leaves by a week. good hike overall.

This would make for a great running trail - if you're into that sort of thing.

My tripod dog and I did this and had a great time. It was very easy for both of us and gave him a couple of places to splash in shallow water. We ran into other hikers, runners, and bikers.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Beautiful views.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Its a fairly boring trip. Not much to see and most views are covered by trees unless you do it during the winter months. Worth it if you are in Huntsville area, but I wouldn't drive to see this trail

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

beautiful hike on Thanksgiving, nice views . can't wait to get back

Monday, November 21, 2016

It was a very nice hike. Perfect time of year for seeing colorful leaves. Course was just what we were looking for to start off hiking. We took our dog who absolutely had a wonderful time.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Very easy 3 mile hike. We saw some friendly deer that just watched us from 15 feet away. There were several other hikers as well as some mountain bike rider. All-in-all it was a good way to get a little morning exercise.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Had a great hike on this trail. Very easy to traverse. Lots of over looks and rest sites. My only negative would be the amount of foliage at the over looks obstructing the view. Will defiantly go back in the late fall or winter to get the "Big Picture". Also came up on a downed power line at the 2.5 mile marker. A storm the night before blew a tree down on it. Was lucky to see it in time. I notified the park rangers and it was taken care of by the power company.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Great for trail running with a not to hard technical level.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Fantastic. Quiet easy stroll through nature. Crossed paths with a deer, a stick bug, and a number of butterflies.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Really easy hike. I really enjoyed all the break offs from the main trail. Not challenging at all, but a truly beautiful way to enjoy being outside.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

This was a super easy hike in my opinion, was mostly like a stroll. There were a few spots that had rocks and tree roots in the path, but it was mostly traveled on dirt. Gorgeous views! Great easy day hike.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

There was snow on the mountain but trail was pretty clear. A little muddy in places. Normally a level trail with some good views was much nicer with snow. A routine trail walked a number of times was much nicer.

Thursday, January 07, 2016

I have ran this trail a hundred times and never get tired of the amazing scenery. Winter, summer, spring or fall...just an all around great easy trail.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Very pleasant, an easy walk for any age.

Sunday, November 09, 2014

I did this trail loop 3X today while running. for a total of 10 miles. Good trail for running, for the most part. There are a couple areas that are rocky, so watch your step. Today all the leaves had fallen, hiding some treacherous roots and rocks. Took a hard, ungraceful fall right in front of three women. Thankfully no broken bones, was able to get back up and finish my workout.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Beautiful day and well maintained trail, easier than we usually like. Several other people out today. More like a nature walk than a hike.

Monday, January 06, 2014

I loved Mont Sano State Park and the drive up to the trail head. Great winter hike on Mont Sano with views of the surrounding mountains and scenery that we could not have seen in the summer due to hardwood tree cover. Had the trail to ourselves and surprised three whitetails and a yearling near the lodges at the north end of the trail. Highly recommended, but dressed in several layers for winter weather and winds and some water and drainage on the trail.