Smokerise and Sugar Tree Trails Loop

Smokerise and Sugar Tree Trails Loop is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sunset Cove, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Started at trailhead from Huntsville Land Trust parking lot on Cecil Ashburn Dr. Took Smokerise and followed to Sugar Tree, which led back to the parking lot.

My first time on this trail I discovered that the loop is not idiot proof and I ended up coming out back at my car but in the neighborhood at the top of Weatherly Rd but the second time I hiked it I successfully made it back to my car but I also came across deer twice on Smokerise Trail. This will definitely become one of my favorite go to hikes. The uphill portions felt like a good workout for my cardio.

This trail is nice. Not too many people and it's peaceful. There are several little streams where my dog can drink so that's nice. Not too many bugs other than grandaddy long legs. Sometime you can see a doe with fawns on sugar tree.

Hiked the Sugar Tree/Smokerise trail a few weeks ago. I started o the Sugar Tree, and hiked back up through Smokerise to the trailhead. Sugar Tree is very, very rocky and requires a lot of coordination. Sugartree kind of gave me the creeps, but Smokerise had a lot of good creeks and what not. I also noticed a lot of damage to the area, I assume it is from a tornado that touched down. All in all a good hike. Would like to do it sometime in the fall. The abandoned car is kinda creepy.

good trail. heads up. small path near connection of sugar tree and smoke ride on back of path....leads to be neighborhood.

great trail if you need your butt kicked!! Total leg workout!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015