Smokerise and Sugar Tree Trails Loop

Smokerise and Sugar Tree Trails Loop is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sunset Cove, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started at trailhead from Huntsville Land Trust parking lot on Cecil Ashburn Dr. Took Smokerise and followed to Sugar Tree, which led back to the parking lot.

Lots of rocky hills to walk up. Challenging and gets the heart pumping!

We walked sugar tree down and smokerise back up to the car. Nice walk!

Good climbs

Started hike at the Sugar Tree dead end. Went Sugar tree to Smoke Rise, then cut back across to Sugar Tree on the Lowry Trail. then back to Sugar Tree start. Weather was low 40's high 30's during the hike. Disappointed this is not a listed trail option on All Trails. I submitted the option so hopefully it will be reviewed and approved.

My first time on this trail I discovered that the loop is not idiot proof and I ended up coming out back at my car but in the neighborhood at the top of Weatherly Rd but the second time I hiked it I successfully made it back to my car but I also came across deer twice on Smokerise Trail. This will definitely become one of my favorite go to hikes. The uphill portions felt like a good workout for my cardio.

This trail is nice. Not too many people and it's peaceful. There are several little streams where my dog can drink so that's nice. Not too many bugs other than grandaddy long legs. Sometime you can see a doe with fawns on sugar tree.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Hiked the Sugar Tree/Smokerise trail a few weeks ago. I started o the Sugar Tree, and hiked back up through Smokerise to the trailhead. Sugar Tree is very, very rocky and requires a lot of coordination. Sugartree kind of gave me the creeps, but Smokerise had a lot of good creeks and what not. I also noticed a lot of damage to the area, I assume it is from a tornado that touched down. All in all a good hike. Would like to do it sometime in the fall. The abandoned car is kinda creepy.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

good trail. heads up. small path near connection of sugar tree and smoke ride on back of path....leads to be neighborhood.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

great trail if you need your butt kicked!! Total leg workout!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017