Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Sipsey Loop Trail is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Hope, Alabama that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.5 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Lovely secluded area, waterfall, THE BIG TREE, views of sipsey canyon. 204 has basically ceased to exist south of the sidetrail to East Bees Branch falls. It definitely requires bush whacking and a lot of compass work. The features on this trail are amazing, East bees branch falls is well worth the hike and toward the southern end there are some beautiful and secluded areas. HOWEVER, south of the side trail to the falls the trail becomes impassible in places and requires a huge amount of care and patience. The sheer number of blow downs (more than 50 percent of the pines) creates a dagger like maze of snags and brambles.

Great day and awesome hike!! I add a couple of extra miles to visit Big Tree and waterfall (and, got off course around mile 5...got to cross little creek to stay on 209). But, great hiking!!! Definitely some blow down spots but for most part, easy to go around, under, or over. I love these trails in Sipsey. Do your homework, though, and use the AllTrails Pro or have some gps unit! It is rather easy to get crossed up out there.

I hiked my own loop starting from Randolph on 202 and continuing to 209/204a/224/208 back down 206/201 to my car over 2 nights. It was about 20 miles. I would rate this as moderate for the avid backpacker. I found all of the trails to be well maintained with no route finding issues. The Gaia GPS app helps smooth concern. In the future I would hike directly to 204a and back out. I would not recommend 208 and 224 - nothing to see. My dog loved this trail too. Top 2 in Alabama no doubt.

This is a great trail but not very well marked. We were glad we spent the money on the premium Alltrails subscription. There were a few markers, but even the ones that were there were hard to spot because they were natural wood with no paint. We took a few wrong turns and luckily realized it before we went too far. There is no cell service but we were able to follow the app through GPS. The trail is somewhat challenging with lots of creek crossings, deadfalls and rocks. The Alltrails app severely underestimates the length of the trail. It says the loop is 11.3 miles and we started out at 10 am expecting a 4 hour hike. At the point where the second shortcut trail crosses, the app read 6 miles, but our Garmin InReach said 9 miles. We were only about half way around the loop at that point and because of the time, we decided to take the short cut which was rated as hard. It was a great hike, but altogether, even with taking the shortcut, our InReach (which has been calibrated) registered 14.7 miles! If you like some challenge and a trail that is not highly trafficked, this is a great trail. Several pretty waterfalls along the way. The trail that cuts across is difficult, but more scenic. I recommend it, but I wouldn’t do it in the summer. It would be way to hot, buggy and thick.

204 was pretty much impossible to follow after the first mile due to the blowout and all the fall leaves. 206 was much nicer, easy to find. River was almost completely dry, possible to get water in some pools but not flowing anywhere

I hiked this loop July 27, 2019. Blowdowns were to a minimum. We had to crawl over only a few blowdowns. Once you move away from Sipsey the hike gets pretty boring. No water on the second half of the hike. Water wasn’t very high so we didn’t get wet at any of the crossings. We didn’t see any snakes but ran into a ton of spiders. I wouldn’t do the loop the again. I’d either hike all the way to Sipsey picnic area or do and out and back.

This was a great hike. I took a youth group ages 13-18 and one of my leaders is 60. Two of our guys were first time hikers and they handled it well. There is NO waterfall, but the trail is in great shape considering it’s a wilderness trail. We took a wrong turn at one point and didn’t realize it until we were about 1.5 miles down. The trail makes a complete u-turn and goes through a campsite when it turns around. There were people at the campsite when we got there and the trail appears to veer to the left... it does NOT! (We went to the left after you walk across the bridge at the beginning.... this is the opposite way most people go- if you go the opposite way we did, please consider this when you get to the campsite u-turn) Other than this spot, the trail is very easy to follow and the blowdown is very minimal considering. They have obviously been doing maintenance. The hogs were very active as we went about a half mile and every tree was rooted around from them. They also sniffed out our campsite while we were sleeping, but didn’t bother a thing. We wouldn’t have even known had a leader not woken up and seen/heard them. We also saw a copperhead on the trail and it was not happy with us, but did slither under a tree finally. All in all, great hike!

Sat May 18 2019

Really beautiful trail but very muddy in parts. Wear bug spray! Tick alert! There are parts that are very full of foliage and you have to climb through.

Fri May 10 2019

my daughter and myself hiked 4 miles in and then back out due to weather, we chose not to camp that night. we thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful scenery and easy to follow trail. someone has gone through great lengths to cut alot of the blowdowns out of the trail. this trail I would consider moderate. great views of wilderness and the river. we will return to do the full hike and camp.

Wed Jan 24 2018

I almost died

Thu Dec 14 2017

Nice trail with plenty of water and shade. Some spots not marked very well, a bit tough to follow at points.

Sun Oct 30 2016

We had a blast on this trail. This was my first time doing a legit hike. we camped about half way through. 5 of us went. we chose to take the un-maintained part of 204, and even with packs it was very do able (though we did have to climb over and under trees). Over all it was a wonderful time and I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hike.

Thu Jun 02 2016

Heading south on tr204 from tr224 you will eventually hit a fork. Left is the maintained 204 and right is the "non-maintained" 204a. I have hiked down both ways and both have lots of things to see. The 204a will lead you down to two water falls and a small canyon, good place for lunch. There are a couple campsites around as wellbut be careful as some of the ways down are steep and i could see them getting slick after a rain. Past the falls on 204a the trail gets very thick with lots of down trees. I had some problems getting over some of the trees that were too high to go over but too short to easily go under, I'm a tall guy so I had some troubles. The regular 204 has some beautiful sights as it zig-zags down towards tr209. Nothing too difficult and some beautiful terrain. Overall liked the two trails

Wed Jun 01 2016

Took us all day to hike this loop, about 7 hours plus a hour break at the Sipsey river for lunch and water fn. The terrain was not overly difficult but it was a LONG hike and we were beat by the end. We had a couple instances of confusion when it came to trail connections. There are many non-marked and non-maintained trails that separate from the main trails and can be a bit confusing. We brought three different maps that we found online, each had slightly different trails marked and there were still some that were not on any map, a compass helps as well. I would recommend reading the trail descriptions that Sipsey Wilderness Hiking Club have published online they are very helpful.

Wed Apr 13 2016

definitely worth the difficult hike! absolutely beautiful and peaceful!

Fri Jan 17 2014

This trail was moderate to strenuous because of the downed trees on the path. We went through this area with large packs and it was tough at times, but well worth the hike.

Tue Jan 07 2014

We found two waterfalls and the big tree at the end. The sight was quite breathtaking. Beware this was a hard trek. I am 37 and experienced hiker and my son is 15 and in excellent shape. The downed trees almost broke us near the end. And we did not have our packs. It is possible without a pack but really hard. With a pack you would be a dead fool I think. That being said you will be highly rewarded at end especially after some rain.

recorded Sipsey Loop Trail