Ruffner Mountain Nature Park Loop Hike

Ruffner Mountain Nature Park Loop Hike is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Birmingham, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trails... old mine ruins... beautiful overlook of Birmingham I started the hike by following the 5-Mile Trail. At Gray Fox Gap, I took the Hawk's View Overlook trail to where you are offered a beautiful overlook of the skyline of Birmingham and views down into the old quarry. From Hawk's View, I hiked up to Sloss Peak, then followed the Hawk's View Trail back down to 5-Mile Trail, where I continued to follow it's loop back to Gray Fox Gap where I took the Ridge & Valley Trail (the park's most demanding trail). I followed the Ridge & Valley Trail back to where it rejoins the 5-Mile Trail at Miner's Junction. From Miner's Junction I took the Hollow Tree Trail which eventually leads back to the main trailhead. This hike is one of my favorites. There are several more smaller trails that could be worked into a loop hike. The views are amazing and the history of this location is very educational. There are many old mine ruins that can be explored during your hike. There are over 11 miles of trails in the 1,000 acre park.

Took Ridge & Valley trail... continous inclines and declines that are very challenging on legs . Decided to take Crusher trail along the way.

Great trial!!!! Love the views. We came on a Sunday and it was pretty crowd, I would recommend coming during the week when there is less people. You have to hike this trial.

Favorite place for running in the area. There are not many people around because it is fairly hilly. the trails are fun and very different from one another.

Monday, April 11, 2016

I've hiked this trail to the overlook probably 10 or more times. It's my favorite in Birmingham. Very easy, but not mindless, especially if you come back up Silent Journey. That'll get your heart rate up. I just went with my Hike It Baby Birmingham group. We got a 5 year old, a 3 year old, a 10 month old, and a 3 month old, plus 4 moms and 2 dads all the way to the overlook within an hour and a half. So, like I said, this trail is easy but not mindless and there are some super beautiful views.

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Awesome. Great leg workout. Fairly easy. We hiked from hilltop to hilltop near the shooting range. Awesome view.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Great view of Downtown Birmingham, and cool to watch planes take off and land from the airport. Its a nice active walk. Its not difficult but its not a mindless walk, either.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Awesome place to spend the day or even a few hours. Trails are in great condition. Great for trail running, hiking and geocaching. Great views and all kinds of things to explore.