Ruffner Mountain Nature Park Loop Hike

Ruffner Mountain Nature Park Loop Hike is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Birmingham, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Start this hike by following the 5-Mile Trail. At Gray Fox Gap, take the Hawk's View Overlook trail to where you are offered a beautiful overlook of the skyline of Birmingham and views down into the old quarry. From Hawk's View, hike up to Sloss Peak, then follow the Hawk's View Trail back down to 5-Mile Trail, where you will continue to follow it's loop back to Gray Fox Gap and take the Ridge & Valley Trail (the park's most demanding trail). Follow the Ridge & Valley Trail back to where it rejoins the 5-Mile Trail at Miner's Junction. From Miner's Junction you can take the Hollow Tree Trail which eventually leads back to the main trailhead. This hike is one of my favorites. There are several more smaller trails that could be worked into a loop hike. The views are amazing and the history of this location is very educational. There are many old mine ruins that can be explored during your hike. There are over 11 miles of trails in the 1,000 acre park.

Ruffner is really nice area, and is well marked.

The trails are well marked and modern. We will come back again. We did the white and orange trail. It takes 3 miles for both trail.

Lizard Loop is a fairly level 1 mile loop. Great canopy of trees and plants. Gravel trail in parts but narrows to a dirt path that feels more secluded.

This park is the best kept hiking secret in Birmingham. In fact, will people stop giving this five stars so it stays lightly trafficked? Thanks!

We had a great time. Challenging at times. Good views.

Staff was super awesome :)

Awesome trails and staff !!

Took Ridge & Valley trail... continous inclines and declines that are very challenging on legs . Decided to take Crusher trail along the way.

Great trial!!!! Love the views. We came on a Sunday and it was pretty crowd, I would recommend coming during the week when there is less people. You have to hike this trial.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Favorite place for running in the area. There are not many people around because it is fairly hilly. the trails are fun and very different from one another.

Monday, April 11, 2016

I've hiked this trail to the overlook probably 10 or more times. It's my favorite in Birmingham. Very easy, but not mindless, especially if you come back up Silent Journey. That'll get your heart rate up. I just went with my Hike It Baby Birmingham group. We got a 5 year old, a 3 year old, a 10 month old, and a 3 month old, plus 4 moms and 2 dads all the way to the overlook within an hour and a half. So, like I said, this trail is easy but not mindless and there are some super beautiful views.

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Awesome. Great leg workout. Fairly easy. We hiked from hilltop to hilltop near the shooting range. Awesome view.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Great view of Downtown Birmingham, and cool to watch planes take off and land from the airport. Its a nice active walk. Its not difficult but its not a mindless walk, either.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Awesome place to spend the day or even a few hours. Trails are in great condition. Great for trail running, hiking and geocaching. Great views and all kinds of things to explore.

Sunday, November 02, 2014

There are many trails that are super easy, so there was no problem taking my 5 year old. We did Quarry Trail to Lookout. The view was amazing. I'll definitely come back, and probably do some more challenging trails when I don't have my kids with me.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Went hiking with the family over the weekend. Was testing out a new backpacking pack with my son for Boy Scouts. Clear trails, beautiful views, easy access in and out. Highly recommended for families.

Friday, October 26, 2012

great easy hike with an outstanding view of birmingham at the end. also, for trail runners, the trail was kept clean and clear enough a few year back when i was running it regularly.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

We had a lot of fun. The trails were well kept up and easy. It was just kind of hard to find the trailhead if you aren't familiar with the area. The old quarry was pretty. Can't wait to go back again

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wonderful trail and a great place to take the kids for a hike or adults and get a little history of the mt.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

10000 steps
If I start on the Irondale side across from the baseball park and do the quarry, geology and on to the nature center trail and back I get 10000 steps which is my goal for each day.