Rock Garden Trail

Rock Garden Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 731 feet Route Type: Out & Back

You will see the glory of god when you hike this trail from start to finish. When you reach the top you can see for many miles. It’s a steep one, & bit more difficult then you would think. Trees are down & you have to go under & over them, some steep rocks have to be climbed as well. You will not end up at the rock garden when you finish this hike. At the very end of this hike there is a sign saying the rock garden is another .7 miles. It will take an inexperienced hiker hours to get to the top of this trail, even though it’s 1.4 miles, but coming down will take about 20 min.

Beautiful spot, go after a good rain to see seasonal Ange Falls.

Very cool trail that gets steep and remains steep very quickly. I would say this is the most fun trail to use to get to the tallest point in Alabama as it’s only .5 mile away from the turnaround point. The trail is very well marked with blue paint and has some great views towards the top. Overall amazing route that is somewhat strenuous but very rewarding.

Thu Feb 07 2019

First hike I’ve COMPLETED with the elevation over 400. Difficult but me and my pup felt super accomplished afterwards. I see why they call it rock garden. Literally a bunch of rocks haha. Great hike!

Sat Feb 02 2019

Parked at the lake. $5 per person. Started thru the woods on the Blue trail. Within the first few minutes the trail begins to climb. The last 1/3 Mile is very steep. Easy but steep. Got to the top and then passed some cabins and walked the road to the highest point sign. Had a nice picnic in one of the empty primitive camp sites on the way back down. Very fast to get back down. Creek was running the whole trail so the sound was lovely. Very good leg workout. Great day with my bride.

Fri Jan 18 2019

A steep climb, but not that difficult. My wife did it while 5 months pregnant. Cheaha lake is a nice place during the summer with plenty of family fun in the warmer months. Everything you need there with a camp ground right across the road.

Thu Oct 11 2018

Tackled this one with Venture Crew 749 because it was adjacent to our campsite. The views at the top are well worth the climb. We particularly liked the overlook near the top where we could look down at the lake far below.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Very fun trail even at only 1.4 miles. The steep climb to the top will let you know what kind of shape you're in and the views are nice, I enjoy it every time I hike it.

Mon Feb 19 2018

My wife and I are wanting to get into hiking. Got this app and found this trail and read the reviews. The trail is rated easy but as beginners we found it to be challenging. The trail itself is well marked and pretty well traveled. However, it was very very steep in certain places. Guess we are really out of shape. LOL! Although it is short the steepness should make it moderate. The view at the top though was well worth the hike. Cool waterfall and scenic views! We will definitely hike it again.

Wed Aug 02 2017

My husband and I just did this. We are both inexperienced and little out of shape. It was perfect for us. Gets a little steep but nothing too bad. The view at the top is worth it.

Wed Oct 15 2014

This trail really starts at Cheaha Lake and is called the Lake trail. Only a small portion at the top is actually the Rock Garden Trail. But all together its a nice way to hike to the top.

Wed Oct 08 2014

Great hike! It is short - but steep!! Worth the hike to the top for the views!!

Sun Nov 12 2017