Redoubt Trail Loop

Redoubt Trail Loop is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Spanish Fort, Alabama. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and horses. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

horseback riding Historic Blakeley State Park 34745 State Hwy. 225 P.O. Box 7279 Spanish Fort, Al. 36577 Phone (251) 626-0798

There are a series of trails located in this state park. It is Blakeley State Park. Cost is 4 dollars. Trails are marked and well maintained. There are horse trails and camp grounds as well. The only negative is the disgusting bathrooms which is full of ants, roaches, spiders etc.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Went in January and weather was perfect! It could get warm in summer time. Lots of trails and civil war history. Boardwalk on Tensaw River is nice. Staff very nice and give maps of trails.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Around 10 miles of beautiful, well maintained trails. I did about 8 miles and enjoyed them all. Located in Blakeley State park. The staff at the park was very friendly. Great hiking, cool historical sites, and up kept facilities.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

We hiked here for the first time last weekend. A excellent hike with wonderful surprises along the way. We are planning a return trip, this time spending the night camping too.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Great hike with some elevation changes, down into the bottoms and back up to the bluff ridge.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Very good hiking, and all the sites to see were very cool. Since it is a state park you have to pay to get in. But other than that very nice.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Very interesting little piece of history that took place in the area. From hiking to just sight seeing it was an overall great experience for a fall afternoon/evening. Would like to go back earlier in the day to see more. The ghost town was by far the coolest thing there. had an actual working well and a tree that people were hung from in the 1800's. The town's old jail is actually still in tact- the genuine concrete that is. highly recommend!

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Lovely piece of Alabama history. Only wish there were more plaques describing old Blakeley ghost town

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Went in mid January when the weather was in the upper 50's and practically perfect for a hike. One of the best hikes for the area (which unfortunately doesn't have a lot). Good for families. Very easy hike, most people will most likely not strain themselves whatsoever. Best part about this place was the peacefulness and privacy, I don't think we saw more than 15 people in the 5 hours we were there.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Hiked this trail in 90+ degree weather and was glad to find numerous shade covered trails. The park doesn't have maps showing each of the trails (or where they start/end), so it was difficult to figure out which to take. I'm not sure we ended up hiking the full 6 miles we intended, but did a steady 4, for sure. The boardwalks we crossed were repaired and easy to traverse. The dog loved the small creek off the Appalachee trail. This is a great place to explore.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Love this place.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

We've done this trail a few times and it's always enjoyable. Lots of history and a variety of scenery. Great for a day hike.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fun easy hike with a very interesting history. Includes a Civil War battleground and the first courthouse in Baldwin County Alabama. Did it in January, after some wet days the part of the trail that traverses the marsh was pretty much impassable but easy to loop around. Saw white tail deer black snack overall a very fun day hike. Also lots of back country primitive cabins to rent. My guess is summer could get quite "buggy"

Friday, November 01, 2013

Good trails, well marked and pretty much on your own when I went this fall, this was second of two visits, trail out along Confederate lines well marked and easy walk, battlefield area are easy to explore, Union lines are well marked on the way back through the battlefield, but as the lines descend into wetlands, trail stops, with alltrails app it was easy to figure out where to go and to see that wet areas had to be traversed, not bad in the dry fall, could be a lot wetter. fun hike, will go back and explore some more.

Monday, October 03, 2011

Awesome little trail I have hiked many times with the scouts. Small elevation change and great for the beginning hiker. Lots of history to look at.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I hiked this today with my Black lab, Ripper. This was a great trail. Very easy with only a few up and down minor inclines. The scenery stayed beautiful and you also have the option to hop on to a self-guided History tour. Blakely State Park was the site of the final Civil War Battle. It occurred on the same day General Lee surrendered, but of course without modern conveniences, word didn't get down to Alabama to stop the battle.

The trail does need a little bit of upgrade work. The bridges that take you over small ponds and creeks have deteriorated and a few don't exist at all anymore, which means you get a little wet in one spot. Nothing serious. There is also a little confusing spot at a northern part of the trail that leads you from the Confederate battle line to the Union battle line. I couldn't find the beginning of the trail as it reconnected from a road. This meant I had to pull out the old compass and map and figure my way through some tall grass. Once I found the trail It led me to a creek where, again, the walking bridge was long-gone. Luckily a downed tree trunk acts as a bridge on a short span of the creek. This in turn led me through some untamed woods, which was kind of fun, but other folks might be seriously lost. Luckily I had my iPhone and a tiny bit of service to show me where the road connected. I found the trail and I made a modification to the map's route and continued the total distance (plus about a half mile in my confusion).

Overall I loved it. The 6 miles fly by and there's solitude and quiet you can't get in a lot places around here. Ripper loved it, too. She's currently passed out in the living room.

Monday, January 30, 2017