Rainbow Mountain Loop Trail

Rainbow Mountain Loop Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Madison, Alabama that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The back end of the trail is poorly marked. I know the end of trail is to signify you can’t go in this direction any further and if you turn around you see the V go back the way you can or finish the loop. I use the gps and record my trek with all trails so if I do get confused I can just follow the dotted line - pretty awesome - I suggest a stick for this one if you are not sure footed

love this place!

Had a blast on this trail. There are definitely spots when you have to take your time to watch your footing, but the experience was worth it!

Love this trail just watch where you are going

rock climbing

A great hike, even better location.
And some nice V0-2 boulder problems off the main trail, if you're into that.

Rainbow loop trail is poorly marked.

Great walk, good variety of terrain.

I really enjoyed it. I took my 13 you Grand daughter. The trails could be marked a little better. I'm going to do it again soon.

Relaxing trail!!!! Love it!

This was a really good trail. I feel like I got a good work out in. I was disappointed that it wasn’t marked well. I got lost and it was close to sunset due to the poor markings. There are several other trails too so it’s easy to go down another path because the signs are so small. I am not too sure I would have made it out of there before dark if it wasn’t for my Strava GPS. That really helped show me which direction I needed to walk. If you head out here for the first time make sure to take a charged phone with you just in case you get a little lost too. It was a beautiful hike and I would do it again!

My husband and I got a bit lost due to an exit sign in the middle of a trail and then people have scratched off some of the signs. The signs are tiny!! And some signs were grown around by the tree itself. Very difficult to find our way out and it was almost sunset. If the signs had been correct- we wouldn't have been so close to sunset.

The trail is nice. The industrial noises take away from the experience. A very nice place to spend the day hiking and playing with the family.

I am new to trails and hiking so it was challenging for me. However, it was fun and the trail had benches for hikers to have breaks.

This is a decent trail run. The Rainbow Mountain Loop itself is pretty well marked. I've found the best run starts in the parking lot by the big water tower, so you're running in a counter-clockwise direction if looking down in the trail from above. The run down the mountain is tricky in spots, but that's what it's all about, right?? Once you start up, there are two distinct sections that will challenge you. The run lasts anywhere from 40 to 50 minutes at a slow to moderate pace.

Coming from WA this was very different. Every layer up the mountain has a different sound. Every layer had different underbush as well. The neddles disappeared after a short time. We took a off beaten pathway straight to the top and listened to the creek to find our way back down. The dog was right, we should have listened to him. Stopped and picked up some good local moonshine at Mad County Distillery off Castle and Slaughter on the way back. There's obviously some Aholes that think is ok to pollute by throwing their water bottles. Don't let me catch u. Pack it in, pack it out.

Rock formations along the western portion of the trail are an added bonus.

This trail is good when you don't have much time but want to break a sweat. There are a few steeper parts but I think anyone should be able to handle it. I did see a snake there once and it was about 4 feet long so that freaked me out.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Scenic and challenging. Just the right length for a good workout, but you can also make it longer adding the Jamooka ? Trail?
No real water features, just trickles.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Fun but it's easy to get if trail of you're not careful!!

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Nice trail for after work quick workout, enough incline to raise your heart rate, enough flat to enjoy scenery.

Monday, March 20, 2017

I've done this trail three times now with my dog. The first time was the day after a pretty hard rainstorm and had I known the terrain,i probably wouldn't have chosen that day as the trail is pretty rocky and the rocks were slippery. A few of the rocks proved tough for my tripod dog, but by the third time out, we only faced one small section that I had to help him over (rocks spaced too far apart for him). Every time we've been out we've run across folks using hiking poles, not a bad idea as the trail has a pretty decent descent/uphill with rocks and trees. In a couple places we lost the trail so I highly recommend using the GPS map on this app. The first time took 2 hours, the sound and third about an hour. This will be good in summer as there are a couple of places my dog can get wet and cool off. Enjoy your hike!

Monday, March 06, 2017

there was alot of clearing that needs to be done. could use a couple more benches on the trails. however, I had a great outing with my 6 year old son. lots to exolore.

Monday, February 20, 2017

We hiked the rainbow Mtn. Trail this morning. All trails were good, even for our 4 year old granddaughter. I likes everything about this trail.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Awesome. Great views. Moderate trail. Prepare to hike uphill though.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

fun trail, at a brisk pace did the loop in about 45 min, some nice views and rock formations.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Pretty decent trail. My only concern is when you're on the 52 trail part and close to the homes. With all the leaves, it's kind of hard to determine the correct path to walk. I believe there should be more signs to direct you so you don't go too close to the homes because you don't know the path

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Great local trail, a bit rocky in places.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

I enjoyed it a lot. Not to hard not to easy.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Super, great afternoon outing

Monday, September 05, 2016

Down and back up shaded trail over rough terrain. Trails very well marked. River could be dry. Check out some of the small caves. The elevation change could be difficult for some, but the trails are not that long. You could easily hike every trail in the system in an afternoon