Quarry Trail, Possum Loop, Cambrian oOverlook, Ridge and Valley Trail

Quarry Trail, Possum Loop, Cambrian oOverlook, Ridge and Valley Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Birmingham, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Exit 132 in Birmingham, follow Oporto Madrid Blvd to Rugby Ave. Turn right on Rugby Ave. Follow Rugby Ave to 81st Street. Follow 81st Street to the entrance of Ruffner Mountain Nature Center. The trailhead to all trails at Ruffner Mountain are accessed next to the pavilion. There is no charge to enter the park, but donations are accepted.

great trail. very kid friendly.. even took my 8 month old (not in a stroller, on my hip)

Visited today with a chihuahua and a lab puppy and we all had a blast! Took a turn a little early but the trails were well marked and we found our way easily (the detour was beautiful regardless). Even though I had to carry both pups by the end, we had an awesome time and took a break to enjoy the view.

Great trails with many optional detours. The main trail can get busy on weekends. A treasure to be found in Birmingham!

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Ruffner is really nice area, and is well marked.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

The trails are well marked and modern. We will come back again. We did the white and orange trail. It takes 3 miles for both trail.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Lizard Loop is a fairly level 1 mile loop. Great canopy of trees and plants. Gravel trail in parts but narrows to a dirt path that feels more secluded.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

This park is the best kept hiking secret in Birmingham. In fact, will people stop giving this five stars so it stays lightly trafficked? Thanks!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

We had a great time. Challenging at times. Good views.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Staff was super awesome :)

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Awesome trails and staff !!

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Took Ridge & Valley trail... continous inclines and declines that are very challenging on legs . Decided to take Crusher trail along the way.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Great trial!!!! Love the views. We came on a Sunday and it was pretty crowd, I would recommend coming during the week when there is less people. You have to hike this trial.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Favorite place for running in the area. There are not many people around because it is fairly hilly. the trails are fun and very different from one another.

Monday, April 11, 2016

I've hiked this trail to the overlook probably 10 or more times. It's my favorite in Birmingham. Very easy, but not mindless, especially if you come back up Silent Journey. That'll get your heart rate up. I just went with my Hike It Baby Birmingham group. We got a 5 year old, a 3 year old, a 10 month old, and a 3 month old, plus 4 moms and 2 dads all the way to the overlook within an hour and a half. So, like I said, this trail is easy but not mindless and there are some super beautiful views.

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Awesome. Great leg workout. Fairly easy. We hiked from hilltop to hilltop near the shooting range. Awesome view.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Great view of Downtown Birmingham, and cool to watch planes take off and land from the airport. Its a nice active walk. Its not difficult but its not a mindless walk, either.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Awesome place to spend the day or even a few hours. Trails are in great condition. Great for trail running, hiking and geocaching. Great views and all kinds of things to explore.

Sunday, November 02, 2014

There are many trails that are super easy, so there was no problem taking my 5 year old. We did Quarry Trail to Lookout. The view was amazing. I'll definitely come back, and probably do some more challenging trails when I don't have my kids with me.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Went hiking with the family over the weekend. Was testing out a new backpacking pack with my son for Boy Scouts. Clear trails, beautiful views, easy access in and out. Highly recommended for families.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

10000 steps
If I start on the Irondale side across from the baseball park and do the quarry, geology and on to the nature center trail and back I get 10000 steps which is my goal for each day.

Friday, October 26, 2012

great easy hike with an outstanding view of birmingham at the end. also, for trail runners, the trail was kept clean and clear enough a few year back when i was running it regularly.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

We had a lot of fun. The trails were well kept up and easy. It was just kind of hard to find the trailhead if you aren't familiar with the area. The old quarry was pretty. Can't wait to go back again

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wonderful trail and a great place to take the kids for a hike or adults and get a little history of the mt.