Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Porter's Gap to Clairmont Gap

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(19)
Talladega National Forest

Porter's Gap to Clairmont Gap is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Talladega, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,568 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Awesome trail.... walk it several times a week

Basically no water until the campsite around mile 5

Mon Mar 04 2019

Hiked from Clairmont Gap to Porters Gap yesterday. Did not get on the trail until 3:00pm. The weather was great high 50’s and overcast. I knew at best I would have less than 3 hours of light due to the overcast, so I planned on keeping a good pace. My car was parked at Porters Gap. The views were astounding and as usual the long leaf pines stands were beautiful to walk through. The first 2 miles was almost all rock gardens (ankle snappers) which made for a very slow pace, probably around 30min miles. There has been a lot of rain so the rock cropping were slick. The trail was easily identified through but between My first and second mile the blazes were in bad need of repainting. As I said before the trail was easily identifiable. After the first two miles were completed I encountered very little amounts of rock in the path. This section of the trail was amazing. I did not encounter any other hikers and there seemed to be plenty of water available. Again it has been a really wet season. There was a good campsite about mile 3 near a small creek. The campsite was in a low area that would shield you from the wind and had a fire ring made of rock. Overall this was a great hike. I didn’t take much time to take in the views as I was trying to make up for lost time caused by the rocky areas. I made the hike in 2:40 but I jogged a couple of miles. I was slack packing carrying only a water bladder, two sports drinks, two snickers bars, a pocket knife, lighter and a small flashlight (you never know).

Wed Feb 13 2019

well marked trail hiked 5 miles out and back

Thu Apr 27 2017

Hike was great. A challenging stride. Packed my 2.5 y/o son in the Osprey pack and bare minimum supplies. I am one to move along a trail quickly with a lot of weight (kid is big and heavy 35lb'er) and I found the elevation gains and losses perfect for my paces. The climbs are tall but long and the descents are a tad steeper but manageable and nonetheless perfect for my stride. Breaks were short and productive. We missed a rolling locomotive (which he loves) by just a few hundred yards at the first trail crossing of Skyline Rd but he still enjoyed footing the crossing. I was really moving quickly here to get him there in time to see the train but it just didn't happen. Started at 1:30pm Went 5.7 miles to the third trail crossing of Skyline/Skyway (CR-600-2) road and arrived at 4:50pm. Made the decision to retreat back to car for risk of duskfall. Made use of Skyline to save time (it was entirely downhill for 1.8 miles) and made contact with a friend who picked me up back at the first trail crossing of Skyline. He drove me the remaining 2+ miles back to my car at the trailhead (6:30pm). Kid fell asleep in the pack for the last 20 minutes prior to rendezvous with friend. Other than the first summit and then merge to pavement there really wasn't much to look at on this leg. Just some good old fashion distance (which is perfectly fine for me!).

Sat Apr 22 2017

Purposely kept it short today (working on my pup's stamina), but it was absolutely lovely. Serene. Good for the spirit.

Sun Mar 19 2017

Well maintained section of trail. Peaceful, challenging, but not too tough. Retry views.

Sun Nov 04 2018