Learn more

Pisgah Gorge is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pisgah, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 0.7 mi Elevation gain 160 ft Route type Out & Back

Rocky

Scramble

Description
Waypoints (0)

Trail continues on northern rim into private property, therefore, please stay on the trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (60)
Photos (84)
Recordings (36)
Completed (97)
Kaitlin Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

This is a beautiful trail, but ridden with snakes in the rocks along the river. If you take kids, keep them on trail. It can be fun to navigate your way down the rocks to the base of the falls, but it is very slippery. The waterfalls are very well worth this short hike! At the first overlook above the platform you’ll see a trail that goes left and another that goes right. The trail recorded on here is the one that goes right. I strongly suggest wearing ankle high boots. I stopped for a second and looked down to take my next step and there was a pretty big nope rope about 8 inches from my foot. I startled him when I jumped back, and he slithered into a den that you could see the head of at least one other one. I didn’t get a close look, but I believe he was just a small black watersnake; non-poisonous. The trail itself is fairly clear, and is maintained decently. However, there are no trail markers or signs. We referred to the trail map on this app several times. We had to park at the closed gate. From there follow the road past the baseball field and gazebo to the trailhead.

Ashley Curtis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Nice easy trail. Even my three year old hiked without issue. Watch out for poison ivy. The views are incredible and rival some of my views I’ve had from hiking all day. Waterfall trails are well marked. Gorge trail isn’t well marked, but keep in mind it’s an out and back. When you get to the gorge, turn around and head back from which you came.

Cayla Jenkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020

Absolutely beautiful!!!!

View Cayla's Recording
ARY cave
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020

Nice easy little hike. 2 waterfall overlooks, cool down stream, and a gorge overlook. Trail continues on northern rim into private property. Poison ivy and rattlesnakes are to watch out for.

Amber White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 22 2020
Hiking

The trails were clean with some beautiful plants throughout. There were 2 waterfalls and a bluff. Walk out on the bluff, the views are amazing!!!

Britny Fine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 08 2020
HikingRocky

Love this place ! 2 waterfalls and a bluff with an amazing view. I’ve been here 3 times within a month.

Sarah J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 27 2020
HikingRocky

Trail is not well marked.Park at the gate for the civitan center where you will follow a gravel road down to the building. There is a nice overlook to the left and a trailhead to the right. On the trail you can stay up top OR once you cross a wooden footbridge immediately turn left heading downhill to come out at the tippy top of the falls. Being able to get so up close (and under) the falls was a rush!

lola saxby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 11 2020
Hiking

Not accurate mileage - we recorded about 3.0mi but we went down to two waterfalls (area well trampled). Trail is unmarked. Absolutely gorgeous overlook and the two waterfalls we got close to were very worth it. In summer this would make an excellent swimming hole!!!

View lola's Recording
Tina Folsom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Mar 25 2020
Hiking

Beautiful and easy short walk to 2 waterfalls and overlooks with a beautiful sunset tonight. Lots of water on the falls after flood warnings yesterday. Trail accessible from Civitan Park entrance.

View Tina's Recording
Lauren Varnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 15 2020
Hiking

I believe we completed the full trail but never found a way down to the bottom of the waterfall. It was a nice mile walk from the gate (locked) to the paths along the water. Neighborhood dog escorted us the entire way. The falls were gushing after weeks of rain. Since it is not too far from home we will definitely be back and maybe bring a picnic to eat on the overlook deck or down by the upper part of the trail to the left before the waterfall. All in all a great walk but nothing strenuous.

View Lauren's Recording
Madi Turcotte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jan 28 2020
HikingMuddy

I parked by the road because the gate was closed, then it’s a short easy stroll down the gravel road to some beautiful waterfalls. There are multiple lookout points - one with a boardwalk area and fencing right in front of the civitan center, and then two more (arguably better views) a short way down the trail -one to the left one to the right, each with a teensy bit of scrambling. These two have good footholds but are more muddy and have no safety railing so just be a bit careful.

View Madi's Recording
Russ Roberson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jan 01 2020
HikingMuddyScramble
View Russ's Recording
Ashley Cofield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 28 2019
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful winter hike with the pups! Would have loved to have been able to go further than the private property sign.

View Ashley's Recording
Jessica Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 02 2019
HikingOff trailOver grownRocky

Lovely short trail. Just what we were looking for us and the dog. The water was low so no waterfalls but were excited to come back when there is water flowing. Nice huge rocks to see the gorge and have a picnic.

View Jessica's Recording
Austin Wiley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 17 2019
Hiking

Very beautiful and very easy trail

Dusty Finlayson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 31 2019

Lots of scenic views. Unguarded drop offs are dangerous for small children, though.

Kaitlyn Thornton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Mar 26 2019
Hiking

One of our favorites. We love walking to the very back and getting to see the amazing views.

Stephanie Attanasio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 23 2019
Hiking

Pisgah Gorge is beautiful! There are multiple water falls and a few different trails. You can hike along the upper tail (to the right of the overlook platform) and see three overlooks total. There’s a clearing about a half mile down the trail that allows you to see for miles and miles with a beautiful mountainous skyline. Pack a lunch and there are large rocks that you can picnic on. If you want to climb down to the waterfalls themselves, you can walk down a rocky path just after the small wooden bridge. This will lead you to the gorge itself. You’ll drop out right at the top of the second waterfall and can hike upward along the riverbed. Trails aren’t very well maintained; not the worst, but still overgrown with some thorny branches. As for parking, the gate is closed to the park most of the time. There is a small spot along the fence (outside the gate) for parking (holds about 3 cars) or you can enter the next driveway and park by the baseball fields at the park and walk over (only a couple hundred ft away). Worth the trek out!! Would go back again!

Matthew R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 23 2019
Hiking

AMAZING FALLS!!!! My wife and I along with our dog did this trail and it was so great!!! The there are 2 falls and both are amazing!! The first one is right past the stage and building. There is a platform for you to stand on to observe the falls. The next fall is about .3 miles through the trail. If you keep going you will get to a look out over the mountains. Amazing view!!! On our way out we went down a rock “path” that leads to the top of the second falls. It’s a little difficult getting down but we’ll worth it. You can look down from the top of the falls, you can also walk left and follow the river close to the first falls. Depending on how high the water is. Make sure to wear boots that are water proof. You will get them wet. It’s well worth it!!! We also met the man who is part of the organization that maintains the park and falls. Super nice guy. He said they are working on ways to make the trails more accessible for all people and adding more tails!! Would love to see them add a bridge of some sort for better pics of the falls. Over all, a must do!!!

Daymon Wooten
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jan 08 2019
Nature trips

Absolutely worth a trip out to see. Don’t listen to the negativity of the previous reviews. It’s a super easy trail to get to. Park in the area right next to the ball field and just walk over through the gate. You keep to the right on the path and you’ll come across an old stage and a wooden platform down past the stage that overlooks some of the gorge. The area is absolutely beautiful and extremely easy to view. This isn’t an elaborate hike that requires a pack and a lot of endurance. It’s a short walk in the woods with a lot of pretty views. If you keep to the trail to the right of the wooden platform you’ll walk around a quarter of a mile and come out in a large overlook viewing a second waterfall and a large drop into the gorge. In my opinion it’s just absolutely awesome how deep the gorge is. It’s a great place for photos with family and so on. If you continue down another half a mile you’ll come up on an area that’s perfect for sitting and having a picnic or just some quality alone time with a breathtaking view of the mountains. The area is perfect for bird watching or just sight seeing in general. Although this is all a short walk, it’s absolutely worth taking the time out of your day and viewing. I personally wouldn’t say the trail was anything more than easy to navigate and traverse. We will definitely be going back for a nice picnic, or some evening views of the valley and moon.

Sarah Jodoin Wishon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 28 2018
Hiking

Gorgeous hidden gem! there are various trails, one along the outer rim of the gorge is easy. Along the way to the lookout point is a more sketchy looking overgrown trail that is strainuous. It follows a rocky creekbed at a steep angle down to the middle falls. So worth the hike! I have read of other falls on down, and wanted to go down further, but I ran out of daylight. Must revisit this magical place!

ron hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jan 27 2018
Hiking

This hike was definitely worth the trip. I followed Sherry Walker’s advice even though her review is 2 years old. It was spot on except the sign has changed. You still want to park at the road. It doesn’t matter which driveway you take. With a good pair of hiking shoes or boots, the climb down the rocks is pretty safe, but it definitely goes from easy to moderate to hard VERY FAST. It is worth it, entirely. I went alone and I don’t recommend it, if your going down the rocks. I will go back again.

Teresa Kazmier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 15 2017
Hiking

Sherry Walkers review was awesome helping me find this place. I passed right by it prior to reading what she said and was near giving up based on my gps. I agree what she said that you take what you get also. The falls are beautiful and I only saw the ones at the 2nd and 3rd views they had posted. It seems that the folks trying to maintain this place are doing what they can but it is not a state park so just keep that in mind. If you are timid of heights then the 3rd overlook is a bit scary. I hope to go back in the spring and see the 3rd overlook when I have more daylight.

Sarah Puckett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Nov 25 2015

This has breathtaking views of the gorge and waterfall. It's not much of a hike as it's only about 1 mile, but the views are worth it! Make sure to go around the whole trail

Sherry Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 19 2015

You get what you take from this trail, literally. To start with there are no clear driving directions to this trail. The trail is located at the back of Pisgah Civitan Park, the address for that is available online. However that is something we discovered on our own. You're there when you see a sign about waist high on a fence that says, Pisgah Parking, with an arrow pointing to your left. That is the parking area, and the trail is to the left thru the gate. If you drive thru the gate you will be at risk of getting locked in, as we were told by a local. Walk thru the gates and when the driveway forks, go right. This park is run down, so expect nothing great there. It's not a play place for kids, but a gathering place for local events. After the road forks, you'll soon come to a wooden overlook. That's the first waterfall, and there is no way to get down to it other than rappelling, trust me, we tried. We navigated thru dead trees and brush that had been pushed to the side, yes, towards the water side of the trail, and after getting through all that it's basically a cliff. The waterfall is beautiful, although it was hard to see because of the sun glaring. We went midday. If you're facing the wooden overlook, to the right is the main trail. I've hiked a lot of trails and this one is nothing special. For some reason when they were clearing it out, they pushed all the dead trees over to the left, which is the creek bank. It's very cluttered and blocks any scenic views. If you go down this trail in approximately 1/4 of a mile, you will come to a small wooden bridge. On your left you will see a overgrown trail that goes down a dried up riverbed. We decided not to do this at first and followed the trail out to the overlook that we'd read about. It's maybe 1/2 mile to it from the start of the trail. It's a very small area, on a rock, that is beautiful, but dangerous. There is no railing and the ground did not seem stable there to us. Heading back we decided to try the overgrown trail down the riverbed. The trail to the overlook is great for beginners, nothing that strenuous. However, the trail by the small wooden bridge is VERY strenuous. It's approximately 130 ft down to the bottom and after about the first 20 ft you are walking on rocks, from big to small, going steeply down hill. It wasn't enjoyable to me and I normally don't mind strenuous, but literally every step you take you are hoping the rock doesn't shift. And they do. When we got to the bottom we were on top of the second waterfall. It was beautiful but it's for sure a lot of work to get there. I wrote this detailed review to properly inform anyone thinking about hiking this trail, because we couldn't find that much out beforehand. To sum it up, I wouldn't hike it again. It was beautiful but we were constantly trying to figure out which way to go, and wondering if it was worth it. We hike a lot, but this area is dangerous, and I can only imagine the snakes if it were summertime. On top of that, it was an hour drive for us to get there. For locals, it may be ok, but don't drive a long distance for this one!

Christopher Ross
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 15 2015

No water and overgrown