Pinhoti Trail: Porters Gap to Adams Gap

Pinhoti Trail: Porters Gap to Adams Gap is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Talladega, Alabama that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Beautiful views. However not buy one campsite on this trail until you get to Adams's gap. At about mile 6 there are tock fields you must go through and it seems they never stop. I would advise not to wear trail runners. Gaiters such as dirty girl is also advisable during to briars about ankle high in many parts. Good water sources up to the rock fields after that I saw no water. I carried my pack (22lbs) anticipating on making it a 2 day hike but due to lack of campsites I hiked all the way through.

Hiked this, from Porter's Gap to Adam's Gap on 2/17/18. The first approximate 5 miles are excellent, mostly ascending gently along a ridgetop, often times with a great view, simultaneously leftwards and right. The trail footing is excellent for about 5 miles and is even runnable. The remainder of the hike is nice, but the footing isn't as fast. The climbing was easier than I anticipated, with only a few extreme, steep sections.

Lots of mosquitos but such awesome rock formations and views :)

What a beautiful place and awesome mountain views!

Parked at Adam's Gap and hiked about 5.5 miles out on the Pinhoti. Trail was fine until we crossed Talladega Scenic Highway. From that crossing to the County Rd 600-2 crossing (south side of Burgess Point) the trail was so poorly marked and overgrown that we got lost 2-3 times. On the way back we skipped that section entirely and walked along the road instead. The only water sources were a couple tiny streams about 2 miles out from Adam's Gap.

Great hike. Well marked, lost trail twice but easily regained. I recommend using the Forest Service map. Come prepared with hiking boots and two Nalgene bottles of water. There is a LOT of rock on this trail and you can easily turn an ankle or worse without ankle supporting boots. I did this in one day, but would do again in two. Many good campsites after Adam's Gap on the way to the state park. Stay on Pinhoti Trail until Hwy 281 as the trail head is further down from the park. You will have to hike left up 281 either way to reach the Cheaha State Park.

I grew up in Chandler Springs near this trail and have hiked it many times. It is not blazed as well as it should be, but the trail is easy to follow. The best time to hike it in my opinion is the fall when the leaves change. The views at the top of the gap are awesome and worth the tough climb.

Well maintained trail. Didn't see anyone. Very peaceful.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Beautiful lookouts and scenery; including the sunset! Plenty of camping spots along the way. It's absolutely peaceful!

Friday, April 08, 2016

Parked at Adam's Gap and took the Pinhoti to the top of Stairway to Heaven (rock garden that climbs 500' in >1/2 mi) with 11 year old on his first backcountry overnight hike. Pretty hike with plenty of water. Camped on overlook roughly 3/10 mi past top of Stairway to Heaven - and just 2/10 of mi shy of small stream and developed campsite just 2/10 mi further. Total out and back about 11 miles.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Friday, January 01, 2016

A friend and I parked at Turnipseed campground and hiked the Pinhoti trail then turned on to the Skyway trail and then finished up with the Chinnabee Silent trail to make for a big loop. The Pinhoti section was by far the most difficult section of the three trails in the loop. The trail is very rocky and has many places that make spraining an ankle easy, but the multiple overlooks are well worth the hike (although when we did the hike the weather was horrible and it was raining very hard so we could only see around 50 yards when we were on top of the vistas, which is why I give the trail a 4 star rating rather than a 5). The trail only has a few developed campsites on it so plan accordingly. In all it was a very nice trail and it offered a great mountain feel especially since it is in the not very mountainous state of Alabama.

Friday, September 25, 2015

I have hiked this trail far more times than I can count. I would call it my second home. I encourage all to move slowly, take in the views and the entire experience. Camping a little less than a mile from Cheaha trailhead is the place to go. The campsite there in the fall and winter is world class. Please remember to 'pack it in, pack it out'.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

A group of friends and I took a 3 day trip to hike this twice now and we definitely recommend it! The best time to go is in mid October, just in time to see the leaves change. This trail provides great scenery. including a view of the entire mountain range from the peak of a mountain. A friend and I even got to climb off the side of the peak and do some rock climbing though i do not recommend doing this without proper gear

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Great beginner backpacking trail. Easy to plan out mileage with great shelters along the way. To make your trip a little more difficult I suggest to hike over Dugger Mtn for your last day.

Sunday, March 05, 2017