Odum Trail to Odum Point

Odum Trail to Odum Point is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,256 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Cheaha State Park: Travel north on State Route #281 to State Route #49. Go south on State Route #49 for about 6 miles to County Route #31. Travel about 4.5 miles to County Route #12. Travel about 1.5 miles to Forest Route #650. Travel about 0.25 miles to the parking lot for the Highfalls trailhead serving the Odum Trail.

Waterfall was barely trickling and the trail past the falls was severely overgrown.

This trail was rated as hard. It was not. I’ve been saving this walk for Memorial Day weekend, expected to ride the lightning in a harrowing life or death experience. Turns out it was just earth and I as a human was perfectly equipped to accomplish this trail. Very disappointing. I’ll have to find somewhere else to engage in hand to hand combat with a mountain lion. Took a fellow veteran friend and an 80lb German Shepard puppy (Donut) on the ruck. I found the only difficulty from this trail is the inevitable bath I’ll have to give Donut, and the unnecessary amount of Irish whiskey we drank on our way up. The pain of this trail is self inflicted. Donut gives in five stars based on the diversity of bugs he was able to eat along the way. Will be returning to this trail to walk the entire mountain. Loved it.

Stay away unless you like ticks and stickers. Lots of flora and fauna but you’ll be too busy looking for ticks to enjoy it all. Never again.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

First to say is if not for Gaia gps that I downloaded before I left, my son and I would have gotten very lost. The trail from the TH on to nubbins Creek intersection was difficult from a couple reasons. 1. too many fallen trees over the trail / ZERO maintenance. 2. zero markers.. That was my number 1 complaint. 3. Trying to bushwack up a very Rocky mountain where the grasses had overtaken the trail in spots, plus the fact that most of the trail was on rocks and boulders. I am most Definitely not knocking the trail in itself because the beauty of the huge glacier boulders was spectacular sitting atop a mountain peak!! I will say the high falls itself is worth a day trip to enhance the beauty and is only about 100 yards in off the TH parking area. My Son and I thoroughly enjoyed the quality time we spent backpacking the entire loop of the chinnabee silent trail then back around the skyway trail. I'l I'll chat about anything related to the outdoors and backpacking. Ken Can somebody please pick up my leather belt and t shirt I left hanging on a tree on top of Robinson Mountain. :) date was July 4th

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Nothing to see here but the waterfalls towards the beginning of the trail. Just wooded and flat areas with a few primitive campsites beyond the falls. If you do decide to trek out further, wear pants! The overgrown grass will slice and prick your legs. There were a few steep inclines and we traversed across rocks in the water at one point, which was not difficult because the water was low. There were stairs near the waterfalls, but some were uneven and loose. The trail is also not well marked. Be careful: we came upon a snake on the trail. It quickly slithered away, but it was a good reminder for us to look before we took a step. Over all, not a difficult trail but also not worth a second trip.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Great unique trail. Has rocks thru out and challenging in spots.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Very easy with my 81 year old mother. Helping her stay active

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Hiked this trail in late summer so it was pretty grown up with a lot of large fire ants. The view was grown up for most of the hike but there was one beautiful over look! The map is off and takes you on an old logging road at one point. This is not a loop trail but an out and back. Overall the trail is lightly travelled and peaceful! It is challenging enough with plenty of flat stretches and nice breezes!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

I hiked the entire length of the Odum Scout trail on Thursday, September 21, 2017. As Chip J. said, it is in terrible condition. We began at High Falls and ended at Turnipseed, picking up Chinnabee Silent trail at the end of Odum Scout trail. Since I've been on this trail a dozen times or more, in passable conditions, I was able to make it through the six feet tall vegetation that has grown up and reclaimed portions of the trail on the ridge tops along Cedar Mountain and Caney Head. I then decided to adopt the trail to clear it until it's passable. I am a volunteer for Wild South and our first work on Odum Scout trail began today. We brushed about 3/4 mile beginning at the High Falls trailhead. We did not get to the heavily overgrown parts but we will on the next one for sure. I will be conducting a work day on Odum Scout trail on the last or second to last Saturday of every month until it is finished. If you are interested in joining us on a work day, looks us up at www.wildsouth.org My name is Kim Waites. Thanks!

Thursday, September 07, 2017

As of today, 9/7/2017, from the Odum Scout intersection with Nubbin Creek Trail, the Odum Scout Trail is in terrible condition. I've hiked this Trail for about 40 years and today, it was in its worst condition- downed trees and overgrown. I aborted my plans to follow it all the way to High Falls. I had started my hike at Cheaha Trailhead. About January 2016, the Odum Scout Trail was in much better condition as I followed it all the way to High Falls. I don't abort often, but did so today. I may try again in January or February. ****edit note: my next hike on Odum Scout Trail, 3/2018, was a much better experience...clear trail, from end to end!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Beautiful falls! Maintenance is needed on the stairs and several downed trees could be cut off the trail to make it better. The trail could be marked better as well. I however really enjoyed myself none the less. I'd definitely visit again.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

This was the worst trail we have ever endured ever, ever, ever. OMG. Get a chain saw and clean this mess up. Even then there are no views. Nothing. The waterfalls the first .50 miles in was it. Do not go past them. Nothing but regret and sliced up legs. No less than 60 down trees etc. ugh!!!!!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Awesome trail! Went about 2.5 miles down the right hand trail from the trail head before heading back and camping at the first sight by the trail sign and the huge rock face.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Awesome waterfalls as you start and nice camp spots with great views later along the trail.

Friday, April 28, 2017

I just happened to stumble across HighFalls while heading to Cheaha, and I am so glad I did. I enjoyed a bit of rock climbing before making my way to the falls, each climb took me to an even more beautiful view. I climbed across a fallen tree that stretched out in front of one of the falls and jumped right in. I didn't do the entire loop though. I just hiked to the highest falls and then turned around to come back the same way. This ended up being my favorite stop on my trip through Talladega National Forest. I would definitely wait on this one until after significant rain though. It's my understanding that the experience can differ significantly depending on the flow of the waterfalls.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Waterfalls are absolutely beautiful and the view at the top of the mountain is amazing! However, the trail is poorly maintained in some areas and completely disappears at one point if you take a right where it loops.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Waterfalls were gorgeous after all the rain we've had (and needed)!

Monday, September 19, 2016

My wife and I visited from CO, so we may be a bit biased, but other than the falls ( which would be very nice after a solid rain) I wouldn't not return. The trail was very difficult to follow. Several times we were only assured that we were on the trail by trash left by other hikers. The trail was overgrown and covered with spiderwebs. We made it around 2 miles in and stumbled on a yellow jacket nest, and were stung several times apiece, at which point we decided it wasn't worth continuing. If we were to return, we would only go to the falls and not attempt the hike.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Can't wait to go back after it rains.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

don't come during the dry season. Falls were weak.

Monday, July 04, 2016

This trail would be beautiful in the late fall! The view was a little grown up and the falls are dry in the summer. Also be prepared for a lot of large red ants along the trail and some pretty overgrown paths. At one point there is a magnificent overlook but past that the map seemed WAY off and it led to nothing but another trail- possibly a connector? You also could not call this a loop trail it is out and back. Overall challenging enough with a good amount of flat and cool breezes. It is lightly travelled and peaceful!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

This trail was pretty amazing very long but I enjoyed every minute on the other hand my wife got mad because it was so far she's a little lazy ha but she made it

Saturday, April 02, 2016

A fire recently made us lose the trail quite a bit. After following along the creek for 1.5 miles we just headed strait uphill till we met up with the Odum trail up on the ridge. Water was flowing good along the creek, crossing with the baby was a bit nervous. We camped up on the ridge where there are some good flat spots and large rocks you can sit on.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Easy nice trail

Thursday, May 28, 2015

The campsite located about one and one-half mile north of the falls is a great look out spot. The trail gets a little overgrown in late spring. The top of the hill as many rocks. I would consider it a moderate climb.