Odum Trail to Odum Point

Odum Trail to Odum Point is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Cheaha State Park: Travel north on State Route #281 to State Route #49. Go south on State Route #49 for about 6 miles to County Route #31. Travel about 4.5 miles to County Route #12. Travel about 1.5 miles to Forest Route #650. Travel about 0.25 miles to the parking lot for the Highfalls trailhead serving the Odum Trail.

Very easy with my 81 year old mother. Helping her stay active

Hiked this trail in late summer so it was pretty grown up with a lot of large fire ants. The view was grown up for most of the hike but there was one beautiful over look! The map is off and takes you on an old logging road at one point. This is not a loop trail but an out and back. Overall the trail is lightly travelled and peaceful! It is challenging enough with plenty of flat stretches and nice breezes!

I hiked the entire length of the Odum Scout trail on Thursday, September 21, 2017. As Chip J. said, it is in terrible condition. We began at High Falls and ended at Turnipseed, picking up Chinnabee Silent trail at the end of Odum Scout trail. Since I've been on this trail a dozen times or more, in passable conditions, I was able to make it through the six feet tall vegetation that has grown up and reclaimed portions of the trail on the ridge tops along Cedar Mountain and Caney Head. I then decided to adopt the trail to clear it until it's passable. I am a volunteer for Wild South and our first work on Odum Scout trail began today. We brushed about 3/4 mile beginning at the High Falls trailhead. We did not get to the heavily overgrown parts but we will on the next one for sure. I will be conducting a work day on Odum Scout trail on the last or second to last Saturday of every month until it is finished. If you are interested in joining us on a work day, looks us up at www.wildsouth.org My name is Kim Waites. Thanks!

As of today, 9/7/2017, from the Odum Scout intersection with Nubbin Creek Trail, the Odum Scout Trail is in terrible condition. I've hiked this Trail for about 40 years and today, it was in its worst condition- downed trees and overgrown. I aborted my plans to follow it all the way to High Falls. I had started my hike at Cheaha Trailhead.
About January 2016, the Odum Scout Trail was in much better condition as I followed it all the way to High Falls.
I don't abort often, but did so today. I may try again in January or February.

Beautiful falls! Maintenance is needed on the stairs and several downed trees could be cut off the trail to make it better. The trail could be marked better as well. I however really enjoyed myself none the less. I'd definitely visit again.

Worst unmarked hike I have ever been on. The scenery was pathetic and because it was unmarked and over grown I see it as a very dangerous mess. I hated this trail.
There wasn't anything beautiful except the falls the very first 1/2 mile. I do not recommend.

This was the worst trail we have ever endured ever, ever, ever. OMG. Get a chain saw and clean this mess up. Even then there are no views. Nothing. The waterfalls the first .50 miles in was it. Do not go past them. Nothing but regret and sliced up legs. No less than 60 down trees etc. ugh!!!!!

Awesome trail! Went about 2.5 miles down the right hand trail from the trail head before heading back and camping at the first sight by the trail sign and the huge rock face.

Awesome waterfalls as you start and nice camp spots with great views later along the trail.

I just happened to stumble across HighFalls while heading to Cheaha, and I am so glad I did. I enjoyed a bit of rock climbing before making my way to the falls, each climb took me to an even more beautiful view. I climbed across a fallen tree that stretched out in front of one of the falls and jumped right in. I didn't do the entire loop though. I just hiked to the highest falls and then turned around to come back the same way. This ended up being my favorite stop on my trip through Talladega National Forest. I would definitely wait on this one until after significant rain though. It's my understanding that the experience can differ significantly depending on the flow of the waterfalls.

Waterfalls are absolutely beautiful and the view at the top of the mountain is amazing! However, the trail is poorly maintained in some areas and completely disappears at one point if you take a right where it loops.

Waterfalls were gorgeous after all the rain we've had (and needed)!

Saturday, October 01, 2016