Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Odum Trail to Odum Point

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(75)
Cheaha Wilderness

Odum Trail to Odum Point is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,256 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Cheaha State Park: Travel north on State Route #281 to State Route #49. Go south on State Route #49 for about 6 miles to County Route #31. Travel about 4.5 miles to County Route #12. Travel about 1.5 miles to Forest Route #650. Travel about 0.25 miles to the parking lot for the Highfalls trailhead serving the Odum Trail.

The trail to the falls isn’t far. It starts out easy and then gets very rocky. But still doable. Although the trail is not as easy to see through the rocks. The falls were flowing pretty good with the rain we’ve had lately. There are steps up past the falls. We took that trail only about 1/10 mile. It was narrow and somewhat overgrown. You can tell that part isn’t hiked much. Nice views though.

Short but rocky trail to walk up water falls

Good trail. Wear long socks. Lots of trail diverts through briar. Turned around 3 miles in

recorded Odum Trail to Odum Point

This trail is unmarked and mostly overgrown, with many large trees blown down, making it very difficult to maintain a steady hiking pace and nearly impossible in places to see the “trail”. I loved hiking the Odum Scout Trail in the 80’s and 90’s; but definitely not now, in its current condition. The scenery is beautiful, but if steady hiking is your objective, and not becoming lost...not recommended.

Waterfall was barely trickling and the trail past the falls was severely overgrown.

This trail was rated as hard. It was not. I’ve been saving this walk for Memorial Day weekend, expected to ride the lightning in a harrowing life or death experience. Turns out it was just earth and I as a human was perfectly equipped to accomplish this trail. Very disappointing. I’ll have to find somewhere else to engage in hand to hand combat with a mountain lion. Took a fellow veteran friend and an 80lb German Shepard puppy (Donut) on the ruck. I found the only difficulty from this trail is the inevitable bath I’ll have to give Donut, and the unnecessary amount of Irish whiskey we drank on our way up. The pain of this trail is self inflicted. Donut gives in five stars based on the diversity of bugs he was able to eat along the way. Will be returning to this trail to walk the entire mountain. Loved it.

Sun May 19 2019

Stay away unless you like ticks and stickers. Lots of flora and fauna but you’ll be too busy looking for ticks to enjoy it all. Never again.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Thu Jul 26 2018

First to say is if not for Gaia gps that I downloaded before I left, my son and I would have gotten very lost. The trail from the TH on to nubbins Creek intersection was difficult from a couple reasons. 1. too many fallen trees over the trail / ZERO maintenance. 2. zero markers.. That was my number 1 complaint. 3. Trying to bushwack up a very Rocky mountain where the grasses had overtaken the trail in spots, plus the fact that most of the trail was on rocks and boulders. I am most Definitely not knocking the trail in itself because the beauty of the huge glacier boulders was spectacular sitting atop a mountain peak!! I will say the high falls itself is worth a day trip to enhance the beauty and is only about 100 yards in off the TH parking area. My Son and I thoroughly enjoyed the quality time we spent backpacking the entire loop of the chinnabee silent trail then back around the skyway trail. I'l I'll chat about anything related to the outdoors and backpacking. Ken Can somebody please pick up my leather belt and t shirt I left hanging on a tree on top of Robinson Mountain. :) date was July 4th

Thu Jun 21 2018

Nothing to see here but the waterfalls towards the beginning of the trail. Just wooded and flat areas with a few primitive campsites beyond the falls. If you do decide to trek out further, wear pants! The overgrown grass will slice and prick your legs. There were a few steep inclines and we traversed across rocks in the water at one point, which was not difficult because the water was low. There were stairs near the waterfalls, but some were uneven and loose. The trail is also not well marked. Be careful: we came upon a snake on the trail. It quickly slithered away, but it was a good reminder for us to look before we took a step. Over all, not a difficult trail but also not worth a second trip.

Sat Mar 24 2018

Great unique trail. Has rocks thru out and challenging in spots.

Mon Nov 13 2017

Very easy with my 81 year old mother. Helping her stay active

Thu Nov 02 2017

Hiked this trail in late summer so it was pretty grown up with a lot of large fire ants. The view was grown up for most of the hike but there was one beautiful over look! The map is off and takes you on an old logging road at one point. This is not a loop trail but an out and back. Overall the trail is lightly travelled and peaceful! It is challenging enough with plenty of flat stretches and nice breezes!

Sun Sep 24 2017

I hiked the entire length of the Odum Scout trail on Thursday, September 21, 2017. As Chip J. said, it is in terrible condition. We began at High Falls and ended at Turnipseed, picking up Chinnabee Silent trail at the end of Odum Scout trail. Since I've been on this trail a dozen times or more, in passable conditions, I was able to make it through the six feet tall vegetation that has grown up and reclaimed portions of the trail on the ridge tops along Cedar Mountain and Caney Head. I then decided to adopt the trail to clear it until it's passable. I am a volunteer for Wild South and our first work on Odum Scout trail began today. We brushed about 3/4 mile beginning at the High Falls trailhead. We did not get to the heavily overgrown parts but we will on the next one for sure. I will be conducting a work day on Odum Scout trail on the last or second to last Saturday of every month until it is finished. If you are interested in joining us on a work day, looks us up at www.wildsouth.org My name is Kim Waites. Thanks!

Thu Sep 07 2017

As of today, 9/7/2017, from the Odum Scout intersection with Nubbin Creek Trail, the Odum Scout Trail is in terrible condition. I've hiked this Trail for about 40 years and today, it was in its worst condition- downed trees and overgrown. I aborted my plans to follow it all the way to High Falls. I had started my hike at Cheaha Trailhead. About January 2016, the Odum Scout Trail was in much better condition as I followed it all the way to High Falls. I don't abort often, but did so today. I may try again in January or February. ****edit note: my next hike on Odum Scout Trail, 3/2018, was a much better experience...clear trail, from end to end!

Wed Aug 16 2017

Beautiful falls! Maintenance is needed on the stairs and several downed trees could be cut off the trail to make it better. The trail could be marked better as well. I however really enjoyed myself none the less. I'd definitely visit again.