Noccalula Falls and Historic Gorge via Black Creek Trail

Noccalula Falls and Historic Gorge via Black Creek Trail is a 2.5 mile out and back trail located near Gadsden, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

partially paved

This hike here was worth the whole trip. Never seen anything more beautiful! It is for sure a moderate trail. There are ups and downs. Rocks to climb over. However, it will be worth every step to get there. Do yourself a favor and go see this place! The trail well defined. There are several ways to get in the gorge. One is more intense than the other. The main trail is not bad at all.

Beautiful trail. Definitely hike to behind the falls and then all the way to the suspension bridge, cross the bridge and hike to the top of the falls. Terrific day on the trail and at the park.

There are caves in the area, but they are not easy to find. Gotta know the history. A very large recess behind the waterfall. Most days of the year the falls are breathtaking. The trail is a bit rugged and slick here and there,but all together pleasant. As usual around water sources, watch for snakes. Caught a few cute little yellow ring necks near the falls. Seen a few guys ride their kayaks off the top of the falls once. VERY ILLEGAL!! Nobody was hurt. At least a good 100ft drop. It was awesome!!

Beautiful

We had a great time. Should’ve brought our trekking poles though.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Beautiful waterfall nice hike

Sunday, May 20, 2018

The trail is nice and the waterfall is beautiful. The only reason I gave this trail three stars is because of its “caves.” My husband and I love exploring caves and were super excited to learn that there were some in the area. Unless we totally missed something, the only caves along the upper portion of this trail are rock overhangs. They are not really caves with passages. If you want an intense hike leading to a beautiful waterfall, go for it! If you’re visiting just for the “caves,” you might disappointed.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Loved this trail. I stayed on the black creek trail and the trees and flowers were blooming. Very pretty and relaxing.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Good trail I carried my entire family from 6-15 year old kids involved with mother and father in-law. Lot of people walking,running and biking. The only issue was he bikers ridding at a very fast pace and you had to be very aware of them while hiking.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

I visited here this past weekend and hiked this trial with a three and four year old. We all loved it and stopped for a splash in the river. We made it just fine and are beginning hiking. don't forget your water and swim trunks, there is plenty of place to swim.

Monday, June 26, 2017

A great visit to the falls, especially after a long week of rain. The waterfall was pretty cool.

Monday, May 29, 2017

We needed a place to stretch our legs in the middle of a long drive. It was worth it just to see the 90' waterfall. Most of the walk that we did was paved or shelled.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Took our teenagers and had a great day. Went down to the falls and had a great time.

Monday, April 24, 2017

one of the best hiking, bicycling trails around. if you hike the falls it is one of the best hikes I ever been on.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Beautiful trail that runs along Black Creek. The water was up a bit today, so it was rapid in several places. We walked the more difficult trail right along the waters edge for the first mile and loved it. Will definitely be back to try some of the peripheral trails that branch off this one.

Friday, November 25, 2016

For a cat, it wasn't hard at all.

Monday, October 31, 2016

The drought has dried up this place severely, still a nice area. Hopefully we can get some rain and get it flowing again.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

short hike, beautiful views, partially paved.

Friday, September 09, 2016

It was a beautiful climb down and under the falls definitely made the trip worth it. There wasn't much water on our trip and there was trash everywhere. Would definitely do it again.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Not for hiking down with a camera loose, place in your camera bag or backpack.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pretty hike, but lots of trash and the trail through the gorge is not well marked.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

This is my most favorite trail because I love the falls! I have been here many times growing up but it was my first time back as a teen and we have been back 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The hike is great because it can be as easy or as difficult as you would like it to be depending on which part of the trails to the falls you take. The caves and boulders are more amazing than I remember and standing in front of the falls on the sand with the mist from the falls blowing towards you is an awesome cool off!

Friday, January 02, 2015

Excellent short hike although the trail entrance is somewhat hard to locate. Best when water is up after decent rains. Massive bolders, caves, cascading creek and access underneath the 90 foot Noccalula Falls. Caution, water can be extremely dangerous after rains and should be avoided.

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Hiked this one, many, many times as a teenager and 20 something. It's beautiful and you can make as much or as little of it as you want. We've climbed up into caves and hiked far enough back to go swimming. My only problem now is I'm not sure if we can take our dog.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Really great place! You can go behind the waterfall, which is most impressive after it's rained a lot and the fall is thick with water.

Monday, March 17, 2014

I hike here as often as possible.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Not a well maintained or marked trail but very beautiful scenery. +