Moss Rock Preserve Trail

Moss Rock Preserve Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Birmingham, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Some area looked like a little fairy land with the big boulders and all the moss. The white trail was not marked very well in some areas. We got off the trail somehow and ended up on the power line trail. Ended up doing a 6 mile hike instead of a 3 mile. Enjoyed the area though.

Combo of Blue to White from the waterfall!

Beautiful views, but very hard to stay on the loop as trail marks are confusing. Got off on side trail few times. Thanks to blue gps dot on the AllTrails app that I could find my way back. Otherwise five star trail. Will do it again.

4 stars only given due to confusing trail markers. See notes at bottom. Truly beautiful preserve, could spend all day here meandering through the creeks and very serene. Fall colors are still out. Be careful of slippery rocks.

There is no map posted at trailhead. It looks like there is an attempt to make it easier by putting small signs with main spots noted (frog pond, high cliffs, boulder field). But, the trees are also color coded and did not match the trails posted on this App.

We followed this route and made it about half way (to the turtle rock) with no problems. After that, there was no clearly defined trail, so not sure if the original maker bushwhacked or just over time this trail wasn’t used.
Needless to say, we ended up getting out via the Powerline Trail, which borders a neighborhood. So, overall give yourself time to explore this place as our mileage (after getting off trail) was closer to 4 miles.

Fall colors are still popping but not much longer. Perfect 60 degree day for a walk with the dog and son:)

if you're familiar with the maps and trails that's great but a lot of places truly need blazing. very easy to switch to a different trail

however I absolutely love love love this preserve

Most poorly marked trails I have ever been on. Did not even know what trail I was on till i was well into the woods. Lots of trails that branch off and you have no idea which one to take. Had to eventually pull out my All Trails app so I could figure out how to get out.

Love this place oh so much! The location of the trail is in a neighborhood. It took a little time finding it the first time because of that. Once we got on the trail, we discovered plenty of beautiful sights! Then we got lost for a while. The trails are not marked clearly. Nevertheless, we came across a friendly hiker that lives in the neighborhood! He showed us the way out! Not only did we have a fantastic time hiking; we also enjoyed talking to the hiker! After the workout, there was a nice popsicle stand right outside of the trails. I went once more and will continue to visit because of the rawness of the nature in the up-and-coming community! I highly recommend going! Also my pregnant sister was able to carry a baby in her stomach, and another child strapped to her on the trip. Therefore, the hike is fairly easy. Enjoy!!!

Trail markings?? It’s a cool hike if you can actually find it, but it’s very poorly marked and extremely confusing to get around. Have fun!

I’ve never been on a more poorly marked, mis-marked, unmarked trail. Very frustrating completing the loop.

This is a beautiful trail especially if you start it early in the morning. The trees provide full cover the entire time. After rain the waterfall is beautiful. Great spot at the bottom for some trail mix or jerky. Cross the creek and loop back to the start or back to the crossing into the main part of the park to loop the White or Blue trails. Always one of my favorite short easy family hikes or just a solo walk in the woods.

“And into the forest I go... to lose my mind and find my soul.”

Like the boulders and streams at MRP. Glad I had All Trails app though. Some parts aren’t marked well. Hiked part of this in rain. That was actually nice but rocks get slippery.

One of those hikes I would take my date on. Loved it!

Pretty easy trail, mostly flat with a couple of inclines. A good nice loop, but definitely lots of roots in the trail so watch your steps.

Great experience. Better in spring and early summer when the waterfall and streams are active. Top it off with a cold one at Vecchia’s.

This is a great little nature preserve tucked in the middle of a bustling community. Excellent place for some good hiking. We’ve hiked all the trails and done some bird watching along the Power Line trail. Also a wonderful place to take the kids for a meandering stroll through the bluffs or along the creek. The trail markers aren’t always straight forward and the trails can be confusing as so many user created off-shoots are present, sometimes taking you in circles or leading you off to a different trail or an interesting view. You can’t really get “lost” in the preserve though as most of the trails are intertwined and there’s usually a person or a marker around the next bend. The park can get very busy on the weekends so if you’re looking for a solo or serenity hike I suggest taking the power line trail or going on a weekday morning. I have seen king snakes several times in the summer on the Power Line trail so use a leash on your dog and bring water and a hat as there is no shade. Wear ankle support if you plan to get on any of the other trails There is a beautiful waterfall near the end of the Orange trail which is best accessed from the parking lot on Preserve Way. Trail maps not available on-site so prepare in advance.

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

great trail. somewhat hard to stay on the right trail

Saturday, December 02, 2017

We hiked part of the blue trail up along the falls and it was busy, but beautiful.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

A lot of trees were down.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Dry waterfall and stream beds right now. Difficult to follow trails without this app. I wandered around on blue, red, and white trails.

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Great hike! The online GPS tracking was a real timesaver and made our trip so much more enjoyable!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Just for the fact that it feels huge and wide open when in actualitu it is surrounded by subdivisions on all sides and isn't that big, I give it a big thumbs up. Great place to take the dogs, or kiddos for a day hike, or just to get away and read a book in peace. Also is littered with climbable rock faces, for skilled climbers looking for a quick climb and beginners looking for something simple to get some practice on. For sure plan on going back very soon!

Thursday, June 08, 2017

This place is very nice and an easy hike. Love the waterfalls and rocks.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Moss rock is a great trail for all ages. Keep going until you reach the falls!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Great for both the casual and semi-serious trailers!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Easy hike, cool waterfall, cool rocks to see and climb :)

Friday, February 10, 2017

great trail!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Had a blast climbing on the rocks! A little crowded but a great hike!

Monday, January 02, 2017

The excitement is everlasting and opportunities are virtually unlimited.