Monte Sano State Park

Monte Sano State Park is a 9.4 mile loop trail located near Huntsville, Alabama. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The North Plateau Loop (blue) is the most scenic. 1.2 miles approximately.

This was a very hard trail to run. There were a lot of rocky areas that didn't allow for running. It was still very difficult but better for hiking.

Monday, April 10, 2017

I started running this course while running distance for UAH. It is a staple for the northeastern Alabama running community, and I continue to run it as a "washed-up-has-been". Different loops comprise a trail system that has something for all levels of trail runners. This is a highly technical system, though, with sections demanding your utmost attention to footing. Wonderful views, quad-shredding hills, easily accessible from several trail heads...truly something for everyone. If you're a beginner stick to the red, white, and blue loops. If you're intermediate to experienced, park on the "backside" coming up Bankhead and try out The Sinks, The Goat Trail, and Warpath Ridge. Have fun!

Monday, February 27, 2017

Best

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Really enjoyed this trail.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Busy day but I guess that's what you get in the fall season. My wife and I hiked the North and South Ridge trails and enjoyed the many views. Will definitely return for the opportunity to hike some of the other trails.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Loved the blue plateau trail

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

A Beautiful place I never knew existed so close to my hometown. Me and my husband plan on camping here late September or October. The primitive campsites were so well laid out. I LOVE this place!

Thursday, April 07, 2016

I visited here on a work trip in April. Everything was starting to bloom and the weather was perfect. I attempted to hike the firetower trail but it just ended with no firetower and turned into the plateau loop trail. This trail yielded a gorgeous view of local mountains! The maps show the firetower trail meeting plateau, but I went back to that intersection twice and couldn't pick up the firetower trail. Despite that, the trails are marked well with color coded blazes. There's a picnic area, big playground, camping site and cute cabins with awesome views!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My best friend, girlfriend, and I went on a 10 miles hike yesterday and it was worth spending 6 hours to hike around the majestic Monte Sano.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Well marked, all levels of trails. I started out easy and ended up difficult cross country. 4.2 miles in 1:48 kicked my butt!

Thursday, January 07, 2016

If you are into biking trail running or just want to take an afternoon hike, this is the place.
Love this place. Run it every chance I get.

Monday, January 04, 2016

My friends and I come here every single month and we love hiking at Monte Sano. Even though the trails are familiar to us, we still manage to find another trail or a view that we never seen before. The last few times my friends and I have been, we manage to get at Monte Sano early so we hike the entire trail; which takes the entire day, but it's worth it. 5/5

Sunday, June 14, 2015

I go there several times a month mountain biking. Around 20 trails ranging from easy to difficult, depending on experience. Can get muddy if rains. Picnic and camping facilities along with public restrooms. Rest shelters available along trails. O'Shaughnessy Point is a must see. Several historical markers along trail.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen... Definitely going back soon

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Camping, hiking, mountain biking, disc golf, picnics, and nature trips are all available to guests at Monte Sano. weekends $3/person, weekdays $2/person (as of April 2013). Worth it for a good day outdoors

Monday, September 17, 2012

There are many well kept trails here for most skill levels (no truly difficult trails IMO). The Plateau loop trails are very popular (easy, wide, & level). Stone Cuts (alt) is my favorite trail thus far.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Great for family day out. I took my 4 and 5 year old and the loved the hike.

Friday, March 02, 2012

They have trails for every skill level rider. Mountain Mist to Goat around Keith and back to Mountain Mist is an awesome loop for more advanced riding.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

great disc golf course! beautiful park! keep it clean please! *CHAINS!*