McKay Hollow Trail

McKay Hollow Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brownsboro, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trailhead for the McKay Hollow Trail is on the bluff side of the Picnic Area in Monte Sano State Park. Park in the Picnic Area and walk down the pathway on the right side of the Large Pavilion. Signs marking the high bluff will direct you to the trail, just to the right of the Small Pavilion.

Great trail. Tough at some parts, but that’s the point! Lots of fun and plenty of resting parts/shelters.

One of my favorite trails on Monte Sano, because of the climb back to the North Plateau trail at the end (though the older I get, the slower I go here). The good thing about this loop is that you can tailor it to your desires depending on which way you go -- the descent /ascent at the South Plateau trail is long and steady; the descent / ascent at the North Plateau is steep and rocky.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

I definitely recommend starting at the South Plateau trail and ending on the North Plateau trail. We ended up climbing the steeper end by going that way. To me, climbing the steep rocks is easier than going down them.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Downhills were tougher than uphills. Wet in places but overall a great walk. I can't wait to do it again.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Challenging and fun trail.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Hope you have good knees before trying this hike! Not too strenuous, but precarious is a better word. I extended it a little and added the Natural Well trail, and came back and looped the Fire tower trail in for a 4 mile round trip.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great trail. Challenging, but fun. It's one I do every year and I plan to keep it on my schedule.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

One of the hardest trails I've hiked! I'll do it again!

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Pretty tough run or hike, but well worth the effort for some spectacular views and forest scenery.

Monday, September 14, 2015

This is a really nice trail if you want to spend 2 hours in a pretty area and don't mind exerting yourself a bit. I wouldn't take my dog to the bottoms since he is a pup but an experienced dog would love this. I haven't seen any water on it but I bet that would change after a good range ... I bet the hollow would be raging.

Friday, July 04, 2014

It's my favorite trail. Start on falls side at picnic area. Steep downhill, about a mile of flats, and then a nice steady climb back to the top. excellent cardio on the climb.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

One of my favorite trails in the park. Rugged in parts.

Monday, July 31, 2017