Deadening Alpine Trail

Deadening Alpine Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dadeville, Alabama that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a surprising gem in Alabama. Incredible views.

Had a wonderful time hiking. The trail is hard and slippery in spots but well worth the hike. Gorgeous views and great spots to sit on rocks and take a break and enjoy the scenery.

I had a wonderful time taking this hike! The trail was extremely well marked and in late April all the rhododendron and mountain laurel were in bloom. The views are unique for the Alabama area and beautiful for any area. While the trail doesn't seem like that long of a distance, it is on rocky terrain and takes longer to complete than you would anticipate - make sure to wear shoes with good traction and to bring plenty of water!

this trail is not an easy hike, but well worth the hike. the views along the trail are really nice. Lots of water views along the trail. A must do hike!! a few great cliff faces to sit and take a break while enjoying the view.

I enjoyed this trail a lot. The views were great! However, there were points where we lost the trail and it wasn’t marked. So make sure you download the app before starting. Also spray down with bug spray that prevents for tick because a good portion in this trail is in the woods. I pulled off a total of 6 ticks between me and my dog. If you have a large dog this trail might be difficult to maneuver because there are points where the trail narrows on the cliffs.

First, let me say I did read the reviews below but I didn’t get from any of them the difficulty of this trail. It was not marked well at all. If I had not downloaded a trail ap we would still be on the trail. It was a very steep and narrow trail 75% of the way. It says moderate but that means if you are an advanced hiker with good hiking shoes. The trail had beautiful scenery but was also wet and slick with water dripping off larger rocks and at points you will be hanging right over the lake. Don’t get me wrong it will be great for anyone experienced in difficult trails. I would not suggest kids unless they have some experience as well. I will do it again but with the correct shoes and equipment. Thank goodness I had my walking stick. It came in very handy.

Great trail! Lots of variety in terrain type. Moderate hike with awesome views of the lake. Will definitely be doing again.

Be sure to review those written below. They were helpful. It is about 100 yards on paved road from end of initial trail to main trial. Look in left side of road for arrow marking. Initial part takes less time since fairly flat and through woods. Last 1/2 better views but very winding and more rugged. Loved views and outcropping rocks.

My wife and I did this trail today and I definitely recommend it. There is a new parking area from what I understand the old one is roped off, but it is posted where the new is located just around the corner to the left. There is an approach trail through the wooded area that comes out on the paved road again before turning back into the woods to the left, just follow the arrows painted on the asphalt and it will lead you right to the kiosk where the actual trail begins. Trail is blazed in white. I large portion is along Lake Martin with some great views of Chimney Rock and other islands. I recommend taking plenty of water and snacks. The first mile is relatively easy, but the 2 plus miles along the lake I would rate difficult. Very steep in places even to the point of being on all fours lol. Keep your eyes peeled for deer and other wildlife we saw one of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen! The trail itself is a loop hiked counterclockwise and then the approach trail and short paved road walk is done the same as when you entered! Hope this is helpful to all and enjoy yourself.

Great trail, good view of Lake Martin.

Great trail. Definitely worth the effort - and it requires some effort.
The FYI in case you've never been. The trail doesn't really begin at the parking area. There's a quarter mile path through the woods that brings you out on an adjoining street. Turn left and walk about 75 yards. Then you will enter the trail approach just across from the fire hydrant.

Trail is blazed to be completed in a counter clockwise loop, but I've done it twice in the other direction. As designed there's a long walk through pines and a descent to the lakeside at about a mile and a half. The return along the lakefront is strenuous. Lots of elevation change, switchbacks, and (if you tend to wander out to scenic points) a little bit of scrambling/boulering. The views across the lake are great, and if you go in summer you'll be able to see the brave folks who jump from Chimney Rock across the way.

The trail warns that those under 12 should not use it and under 14 should only use it under adult supervision, and I believe this is reasonable advice. The trail is narrow, often steep, and the margin for error and carelessness is small. There are definitely sections where serious injury is just a misplaced step away.

A little cold today but it made for some veey beautiful icicle formations on the rocks. This trail surprised me in every way. It kinda has it all. Wandering through the leafy forest bed, I came up close with a deer. Traverse the rocks and see spectacular views of the lake. Then lastly wind through the waterfront trails under and over rocks and through twisted limb forest with trickling stream. All around beautiful place. Will go back in the summer when I can add in a swim in that lake!

Phenomenal for Alabama. Starts slow for 1st mile and half or so but once you get to the shoreline it’s so good, best trail around lake Martin by far. Lots of cool cliffs and rocks to check out. Probable best trail south of Birmingham

Great trail. But very challenging with a full backpack. The switchbacks by the bluffs are a bit of a challenge. But the scenery is great. Plenty of places to get a good view of the lake and to just chill out. If you look at my tracking you will see a part of the trail was skipped. It was only skipped in the recording since I stopped for a break and paused the recording only to realize it later down the trail.

If you are looking for a trail that hits high points and has pleasant scenic overlooks then this is for you. It has points where you will do a very small bit of climbing and the bridges can be rather simple and narrow but still definitely worth the hike.

Way too hot today, but a gorgeous trail. Seemed like a lot of elevation gain/loss, and some parts of the trail were a little tricky...looking forward to doing it again in the Fall as there are a lot of hardwoods and the lake is beautiful.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Probably my favorite hike in AL so far

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Great trail, very well maintained/marked!

Friday, June 30, 2017

Very challenging/difficult, yet beautiful trail. We took the entire loop, which is around 4 miles. We stopped for about 15 min to eat lunch and maybe another 10-15 min to take misc pictures. The entire loop from the parking area and back took us right at 3 hours backpacking a toddler and hiking with teens and moving at a steady pace. Luckily, it was overcast and a very light rain to keep things cool for us during the last week of June! And even with bug spray/tick repellant, we ended up finding a few ticks on us too... just check well!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Cool trail,great veiws

Sunday, April 16, 2017

This hike was a blast. I would say that it was more on the difficult side of moderate. There were some areas that were a bit sketchy to navigate, and a lot of ups and downs. As other people mentioned, the pine needles could be a bit slippery. The views of the lake were amazing and there was a ton of cool types of lichen, moss, and rocks. It took us about 1.75-2 hours.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Amazing trail.. Great Lake and island views steep rugged rocky terrain great views. This trail is a lot of fun and moderately challenging

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great hike today! Great weather and great and challenging trail!!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Fun trail with good views of Lake Martin and Chimney Rock. The trail is moderate with some fairly steep sections. Just over 4 miles including the walk to and from the parking lot. Trail is well-marked, but the fallen pine straw made for some slippery conditions. The best views are on the second half of the hike, and there are a few good spots to stop and relax on some boulders. Will definitely be returning soon.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

I spend 2.5 hours in this Deadening Alpine trail in a anticlockwise direction. the way heading north is walking at middle of the mountain, easy and no much good view, but on the way back, heading south, the route is as low as near to the water, many rocks and up and down. A good view of the lake, too.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

This is actually called "The Deadening Alpine Trail"

I am from a Fort Benning and I often drive several hours to go up to North GA and Tennessee to do a lot of hiking on the Appalachian Trail. This trail is much closer and is just as cool. It is a little less challenging with out the major elevation gain as in the Mountains but I would say it's in the same ballpark.

I wouldn't recommend this trail if you are looking for an easy nature walk but if your looking for a challenge or wanting to get a work out in this is the spot. There are steep cliffs and tight areas. The views are amazing. I wish I would have found this place awhile ago.

I am looking forward to doing other trails in the area such as Cherokee Alpine Trail and the Smith mountain fire tower trail.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Steep ridges. The leaves and pine straw make for slippery footing in dry weather. Nice views of the lake.

Friday, November 11, 2016

I'm in agreement that this trail is moderate. The first part of the trail is a back woods hike that is a pretty easy trek. As the trail gets closer to the lake, the terrain becomes a little more difficult and the natural rock formations start get interesting. Along the way there are some very good lake views. At times there are some difficult areas to maneuver around, all-in-all a great hike. The hike is 4-miles including walking to and from the parking area.

If you don't have them, I would recommend some trekking poles, these were very helpful in some of the steeper ups & downs in the trail.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Fun trail, difficult at times. Well marked.