Lake Lurleen via Tashka Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(74)
Lake Lurleen State Park

Lake Lurleen via Tashka Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coker, Alabama that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 967 feet Route Type: Loop

I only go as far as the dam and back. 4 miles round trip. The first 1/4 mile is muddy in several places. It’s a quiet trail with not a whole lot to see. Several board walks. Some roots and rocks to trip on if you are not paying attention. Dogs allowed only on leash. You might get lucky and spot a few ducks or geese.

fee

Beautiful and pretty easy trail. Make sure you bring lots of food and water because you’re deep in it for 12 miles

Very nice but long trail. Well marked and maintained. We parked at the south lot and walked on the road to the north trail head approximately 1.7 miles. The true loop distance is closer to 12.3 miles. The 10.6 miles as posted in the AllTrail app is just from the north to the south trail head or vice versa. Which is strange because the app shows the loop route properly in its entirety.

I’ve been coming to Lake Lurleen since I was a kid. Love this park! Well marked and maintained trails. We enjoyed an 8.6 mile hike with 40lb packs through the beautiful woods and views of the lake.

great tread throughout. This loop is moderate only due to its length and is a good trail for visitors to become acquainted with Alabama's diverse flora. Good in either direction, but I suggest CCW.

Very enjoyable, peaceful hike. Views of the lake a lot of the time, but not all. For a trail that mostly goes around the lake, there is more up and down than I expected. Decently marked with signs, and maintained well. The trail does get a bit monotonous by the end. Like my son trying to extend bedtime (“Daddy?” “Yes?” “Where do eye boogers come from?”) the trail goes on a bit further than I would have liked. A GoPro time warp video of first seven miles at HikingAlabama.com

Okay trail. Really long, and next to 0 views. The trail comes teasingly close to the lake but is blocked by the overgrowth. Not much in the way of wildlife besides your usual suspects. Would be a great place to camp, but as a hiker, this spot is kind of boring. Make sure you take plenty of water as well.

great trail. take plenty of water.

Make sure to pack plenty of water and a snack because once you get going, there isn’t anywhere to get more water. I had enough for me, but my hiking partner did not, and he was miserable. I chose this trail for the distance it offered. I enjoyed the challenge. The only thing I don’t like about this trail is that there isn’t anything to see, no views, no real payoff at the end except seeing my car in the parking lot.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Great hike with varied terrain.

Wed Mar 27 2019

great hike with some great lake views. well maintained trail!

Mon Mar 18 2019

nice hike. several small bridges, damn, some great lake views and some nice hilltop views. very quite on the back side of the lake.

Wed Feb 27 2019

Nice walk in the woods. Trail is marked well. Some small elevations.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Moderate hike with fairly easy elevation gain. We went via the south trailhead, so the most difficult uphill was toward the end. Good finish! Very little in the way of views, just a good walk in the woods.

Mon Oct 08 2018

Lake Lurleen is a special treat for residents of the area. Great scenery, and several fun trails. It doesn’t get much better than this.

Wed Sep 19 2018

Wed Jul 04 2018

Lakeside trail is in excellent shape. Hike down to below the dam and watch the waterfall so serene.

Sun Apr 01 2018

The weather was perfect! The trails are well kept. The trail markings were a bit. confusing.

Thu Mar 08 2018

Well maintained trails. Recently did about 11 miles starting at the North Trailhead of the Tashka and finishing up on the Lakeside Trail. I've hiked Lurleen many times. The only trails I have yet to hike are the Ridge Loop and the Five Oaks Loop.

Tue Feb 27 2018

So I completed the Ridge Loop Trail which is a new trail off the Tashka Trail. It was well cleared and fairly level. Also had markers every 0.5 miles. I took my time and stopped for a break and finished the 4 mile loop in about 2 hours. Ridge Loop would be good for new hikers and those looking for a quick hike.

Mon Apr 03 2017

Awesome place to go hiking. Me and my buddy took my dog to go hiking around the trail. My dog loved it and anytime it got hot we all jumped in the water to cool off. Great for dogs that like to hike. Highly recommend brining lots of water haha

Sun Jan 15 2017

This was an excellent day-hike. We only saw a few people on the trail (Lake Lurleen seems to be more of a campground for RVs and the like); the weather was perfect, even in January, and the trails, despite suffering some leaf and needle coverage, were still well-marked and well-travelled. In total there are close to 24 miles of hiking trail, not 14, and they are laid out in such a way that they provide plenty of options depending on skill-level and time constraint. The main trail runs for 9 miles around the North, West, and South sides of the lake (a road runs up the East side) and it has several loops of between a half mile and almost 4 miles. We went about 10 miles and had a blast. The trails are buy-and-large pretty gradual, with some definite uphills and downhills, and would be terrific for biking or running (if you don't mind the $4 per-person entrance fee, which is a lot nicer than many other State and National Parks). This is a spectacular place to go for a hike, and I will definitely be back.

Wed Jul 13 2016

Third time to do this! I chose 5 stars and it always shows 4...All our public lands, (State and National Parks) rely partly on the entrance "fees" I am seeing some complain about on here. Some Alabama St. Parks have already been closed due to not enough funding and less people visiting them. One NP that does not charge is the Great Smoky Mountain NP. More volunteers are needed to maintain the trails, campgrounds and many other public use places in our great nations Public lands. I am very happy to pay the entrance fee.

Sun Jun 19 2016

this place rocks. I rode clockwise and it was like a roller coaster ride

Fri Feb 05 2016

The hike here is great. If your looking for a nice walk along the lake side I would encourage you to hike to the dam and back. It's a 4 mile easy hike. The trail continues around the lake and is really an easy hike, it's long approximately 13.5 miles from the trailhead next to the park entrance. Like most state parks there is an entrance fee and its minimum fee. I have hiked the entire trail numerous times and have always enjoyed the nice clean trail. The Tuscaloosa bike club maintains the trails and they do a wonderful job!

Tue Jan 20 2015

$3 for adults, $1 for kids and sr citizens. can get crowded, especially when the weather is nice. the trail head had several piles of firewood and a big tractor tire. a portion of the trail runs by the road. I wouldn't recommend if you're trying to get away from it all, but it's fine if you're looking for an afternoon walk

Sun Feb 23 2014

Pretty and well-maintained trails.

Sun Nov 10 2013

The lake is pretty, an easy but long hike. Clean trails, just be ready to pay!

Thu Sep 05 2013

Great park for people just getting into the sport! Good fast track up and down the lake side. Paying to get in is a bunch a crap.