Lake Gunstersville Cave Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Guntersville, Alabama that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 419 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Roadside Parking

Thanks Aaron!! We took your advice to see the cave just stop at the sign and go on the trail which leads NNE 50 ft down the road. It is about 100 ft slightly uphill. Looks like it is not 100% natural but saltpeter tryout dig. The actual cave is further downstream about 60 more feet. The sping entrance is not passable for human but it blows cold air which is a good indication for underground passage. I will try to post a picture. Like i said wr did not hike so i cannot tell about quality of trail. What we seen looked like a good trail but watch for poison ivy!

Was a pretty big disappointment. There isn't any directions for how to get to the cave. If you just pull off of Lodge Drive you will be able to walk right up to the Cave. I put a picture for the sign below. Cave Alt is a decent Trail but no markings for how to get to the Cave, we used some else's recording that went off trail. There isn't much to the cave, it is about three to four feet in diameter.

Good trail for kids the cave is neat but you'll need a flashlight lol

Parked at entrance at bottom, took Terrell connector to Moonshine then Cave Alt to Cave. I passed the walking trail down to the cave twice. Finally found it. Hiked sans bike but it was hot and the flies were after my ears. Took Cave to Graveyard Fire Road then stopped at the cemetery. I swear I heard a bear growl at me. I sprayed pepper spray into the air just in case? Took Kings Chapel then road my bike back to the parking lot. I’m not the best biker I’m sort of in beginner/ intermediate mode all the time. I never saw another soul. Saw a few deer with fawns. The Golf trail is great for families with kids or if you just want good flow but there are usually ppl there. I’ve been enjoying my time at Guntersville State Park. They have maps at the lodge.

All up hill on the way out depending which way you enter. I would definitely not rate it as easy unless you are in good shape. Trail markings on all trails are very confusing. No access to the lake on any trail. I took a picture of the trail map that was at the head of the trail and will post that. Much more accurate than the trail info on here.

Trail has new sections not in the AllTrails map so be careful or you will end up way off course. Going counterclockwise from the north the map shows access from the road where there is none. Had to circle back and enter from the golf course path. At the fork which is not marked stay left to keep on the mapped section. Otherwise you end up way northeast and it dumps you into the road. Overall not a bad trail. Did not see the cave (prob cause I took the other section by accident)

Sun Mar 25 2018

I tried giving this a 1 star but my review was deleted, trail markings we're confusing, I'm not sure I completed the correct trail. trails cross each other, or unmarked trails spur off at different intervals. was a fun hike but not a great place to log completed trails.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Nice trail easy for the kids

Mon Jan 14 2013

I enjoyed this trail. It was a small cave but it was fun to see. Cave trail also had nice views and was an easy trail for a family. It runs into Loop Trail.

recorded Cave Trail