King's Chapel-Tom Bevill Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(24)
Lake Guntersville State Park

King's Chapel-Tom Bevill Loop is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Guntersville, Alabama that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 738 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Entrance across from country store at Campground. May also be reached by taking Moonshine Trail down from the last chalet. Beautiful limestone formations, large trees and ferns. Great view of the lake.

No lake views. Confusing signs prior to reaching the loop (recommend circling behind the cemetery and walking down the hill). The Bevil loop is very overgrown at parts and left the trail with multiple ticks. The trail itself is pretty solid.. probably better for bikers than hikers.

OKish..... trails are not well marked, bring a lot of water if you are going to add on to this trail with another trail. We did this plus the cave trail and it ended up being about 5 miles.

Bevell Trail has a bypass on its eastern flank that avoids a steep up and down section that is fairly overgrown and somewhat poorly marked. Otherwise, the trail is well marked and maintained and an enjoyable hike.

Tue Oct 09 2018

This was fun. A reviewer had posted that you could see views of the lake. I didn't see them but this was a beautiful trail anyway. I would rate this as Easy. It was perfect for a morning hike. I'm definitely going to go back and hike some of the other trails in the park.

Thu Aug 30 2018

I ride this trail quite a bit. Its a butt kicker especially if you park at the golf course and start there on the golf course loop and drop onto Taylor mtn trail and at the parking lot cross the road and run up to the cemetary and then onto bevill. Alot of hills but some intense down hills. The trails are clean with a ton of roots and rocks. Make sure you have plenty of fluids. Great way to spend a few hours. With a map there are 28 possible miles to play with. You have to keep an eye out for hikers but its well worth it.

Sat Jul 22 2017

I'm not sure I did this whole trail. There are a few discrepancies in the actual signs posted and the info here. We were looking for the loop trail (not Kings Chapel) and map coordinates took us to Terrell trail which landed us at the Kings Chapel grave yard. From there we took the rest of the Kings Chapel Trail loop to go back to the road. Really pretty trail. I personally would rate it more easy than moderate. We'll do this one again in the future and hopefully sort out some of my confusion.

Fri Sep 04 2015

We went in July 2015, the 2011 tornado really did a job on the canopy so the sun was brutal. Lots of under growth on the trails and it's bad year for ticks. Might be a great hike in the winter.

Mon Jan 14 2013

I have to give a few details about this trail. On the map this trail is marked out. They ask you not to take this trail and a few others and if you do your at your own risk. Here's why,, the April 27th tornadoes took a huge chunk out of Guntersville State Park and destroyed this trail and messed up and few others and the trail marks. I decided to take this one at my own risk. It was overgrown and had some strenuous parts because it wasn't marked well. I had to look at the map closely and follow the trail as I seen it. This trail is about halfway up the hill to the Lodge. Before the tornadoes you could not see the lake from this trail. Now,, its BEAUTIFUL! You have a clear view through almost the whole trail. I suggested they clear the trail and remark it. A very nice trail!!! take at your own risk!

Tue Jan 15 2019