Learn more

James M. Scott Deadening Alpine Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(177)
Dadeville, Alabama

James M. Scott Deadening Alpine Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dadeville, Alabama that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and fishing and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 580 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: This trail is not child friendly due to the cliffs and bluffs without safety barriers. Please use caution. Enjoy the cliffs of Tallapoosa River, beautiful rock formations, and views of Lake Martin on this hike.

I am 70 years old in fairly good shape, maybe a little over weight., wife is 63 years old in top physical shape with a fear of heights. These trails took us to our limits. The views were spectacular the trails very challenging

As advertised - this is a hard trail with steep rocky areas and cliffs. Beautiful views of the lake and Acapulco and Chimney Rock.

This is my favorite trail on Lake Martin because of its lake views, diversity of trees and flora, rock croppings and twists and turns. It is also a difficult hike so be prepared. It feels a lot more than 4 miles and I would suggest bringing a camelback for extra water and even a Gatorade and snacks for a rest stop at the halfway point. It really is a great hike with elevation ups and downs and wonderful views of the lake and Chimney and Acapulco Rocks. This would be a great early morning hike to avoid the boat noise in the channel. Gear up and do this hike you won’t regret it but just be prepared and take your time.

My favorite trail in Central Alabama by far. Lots of shade cover and plenty of rocky ascents . Great views of the Lake and few spots for the dogs to cool off.

This is my new favorite trail of the Alpine Ridge trail system! The full trail is more than the 3.6 listed (closer to 4.6) and the “hard” designation is accurate. It is definitely not a trail for children but it is a good workout. The trail is well maintained and as of this review it appears that it was recently cleared/cut back. Much of it is smooth walking but there are some great rocky hill climbs and descents that require some patients and work.

This was a great trail loved how the terrain changed had a little bit of everything and great views of the lake must do trail if in the area!!!

What an awesome trail, well marked and maintained. The parking lots for the other trails in the area were full of small kids and dogs. After hiking this trail, I see why. This was a tough hike, one of the toughest in the area. Some really great rock formations and an awesome view of Chimney Rock, where you can cheer on the crazies who dare to jump off. Definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a challenging hike.

Tight contour lines, single track, some downed trees to hop over, rocks to scramble up. Beautiful scenery. Toughest hike in the Lake Martin area in my opinion. Small section of trail is on blacktop and parking lot is in a subdivision. Ticks plentiful this year. Mountain laurel and azaleas in bloom right now. Warblers moving through. Longleaf pine candeling. Lots of big leaf magnolia.

This Trail has some beautiful scenery, overlooking Lake Martin. I'd describe it as more of a short, sightseeing trail than a hiking trail. Parts had very difficult footing and parts were very poorly marked. I'm a very experienced hiker and became lost several times, even using GPS. I had to abort my intended route.

Beautiful views but this trail is not moderate. Seriously. I hiked with two of my teen sons and my husband. We all fell. My husband broke his leg on the second fall. We had to flag down a boat. Husband slide down to the water over rocks and brambles and swam to the boat. My sons both picked up ticks. So I have gorgeous photos, terrible memories and a very sore body. Hard to imagine what a hard trail would involve. Actual death?

Very beautiful trail! Definitely difficult, but worth it. I don’t think it’s necessarily as dangerous as people make it out to be, but the trail is narrow and you have to scramble up some rocks at parts. Highly recommend

Great trail. I would say it is on the more difficult end of moderate. It is pretty steep in some parts and has very narrow trails on the steep parts. Definitely not for younger kids. I took my dog and it was fine for her. Some places are not marked very well at all..got turned around a couple of times. Beautiful views of the lake and chimney rock. Lots of big rocks.

Do not take small kids

One of the best hikes around the area. As mentioned it is easy to get off trail. I was last there mid August. Bring PLENTY of water. Though a large part if the trail wound through heavy shade and was milder, once u hit the first ridge line the sun is baking. And it doesn’t let up until you are 1/2 mile from the return trailhead. Worth it every time though.

Beautiful trail, not recommended for someone with children or dogs. Mostly easy to navigate, but very rocky and slippery during rainy weather. If not accustomed to rocky hills, this trail will kick your butt. It's worth it for the views.

fee

Latest walk New Years Eve day 2019. Trail needs some TLC plus updating of blaze system to fill key gaps and to make possible hiking in a counterclockwise direction (and avoid major afternoon glare from the river). All that said, still a surprise hiking experience for the location.

Great trail but lots of places were hard to find the trail especially in the late fall since there’s lots of leaves on the ground

highly recommend! wear good shoes. some parts of the trail were a bit slippery from all the leaves. I'd recommend bringing your phone and using Alltrails map to stay on track. I thought the trail was poorly marked and I got lost off the trail many times. Also, I'm not sure on the official route from the parking to the trailhead, I ended up making my own trek through the woods because there didn't seem to be any trails or signs for the path. overall really great but be ready with a map or to spend a bit more time exploring.

what a beautiful hike but would not recommend for those who do not like heights. many spots where there are significant drop off of 20ft or more on very narrow trail. great views of the water.

One of the most beautiful trails in Alabama with a lot of lake views. Not boring at all but is definitely NOT an easy hike so come prepared. I’ve had at least one tick on my self or the dogs every time we’ve gone no matter the amount of bug spray. There is a lot of steep points on this trail with a little bit of climbing so I wouldn’t recommend to take any dogs that pull on a leash or aren’t use to hiking or children.