Fanning Trail

Fanning Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Alabama that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Forest hike, moderate difficulty due to a somewhat rocky path, slight grade. Lots of benches the first half going uphill. Trail is out and back and ends out near the Cecil B Ashburn Belvin's Gap parking lot.

Super fun hike with lots of shifts in topography. My nine year old and I started at the church and ended at the parking lot on Cecil Ashburn. The trip was roughly 2.5 miles and took us a little over an hour. My wife dropped us off and picked us up.

Make sure you have excellent lugs on your shoes especially in wet conditions. In fact, I would deem this trail very hazardous when wet. You have to do some rock hopping (slippery when wet) and the ground gets muddy very quickly from rain.

The trail bends around the east side of the mountain and is well covered with trees. So, it's nice to do even in the heat of the summer evenings. We started at 4 PM. We saw lots of wildlife including a deer. My son had a bunch of tinny ticks on him by the end. I must not have used enough spray on him.

Overall a good trail with a great climb at the beginning, but toward the end there's a long section that's filled with small rocks that are easy to stumble / twist an ankle on, especially this time of year when they're hidden in the leaves.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Loved it. Great scenery and its a good way to exercise.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Nice easy trail with a slight but steady incline. It was a perfect afternoon trip for me, my wife, 6 year old son and our old dog. Had a ton of rock outcroppings sand a small stream for the dog to grab a drink.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Nice steady incline! Loved going up, but not so much going down with how rocky it is you have to slow down. Don't expect any views though, this ends at a cliff on Cecil Ashburn over looking the parking lot of Blevins Gap.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

although I'm rather new to hiking, this has become one of my favorite places to go. It's a bit rocky, but the scenery makes up for it

Friday, December 02, 2016

Great hike for getting the heart rate up! Trail is immediately up from start and changes to rolling, rocky trail through woods all the way to Carl T Jones where you can extend the hike by crossing the road and continuing on Bill and Marion Certain Trail, or turn back.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Parked down by the Southeast Church of the Nazarene, there's a good trail head. The trail itself is very clear with lots of markers and quite a few benches provided along the first half or so of the uphill. Overall the trail had interesting rock formations, forest views, and plants, but no scenic overlooks. There was one bench that looked out over a little bluff, but the view was obscured by the leafy trees, maybe it's more scenic in the cooler seasons.

It took us about 2.5 hours to get from the church trail head out to the little split that goes down towards the Blevin's Gap parking-lot and back at a pretty leisurely pace while I used a stick in front of me to clear spider webs.

Friday, July 14, 2017