Falling Rock Falls Hike

Falling Rock Falls Hike is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Montevallo, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A short hike reveals a hidden treasure... a 90 foot waterfall. Park at the locked gate at the trailhead. Go around the gate and walk up the road. Take the first road to your left (about half a mile from the trailhead). Follow this road and take the first road on your right. Hike about a quarter-mile to a road on your left. This road has large dirt berm across it along with a deep ditch, to keep wheeled vehicles from entering the area. Hike the small trail which leads around the berm and leads down the hill. When you reach the bottom of the hill you will see Eddings Creek and the top of Falling Rock Falls. Be VERY careful in this area as the rocks can be quite slippery and a fall from here could be fatal. If hiking with children, please keep them away from the edge of the falls. There are small trails on both sides of the falls that lead to the bottom of the falls. Once again, exercise extreme caution on these trails. There is a cavern behind the falls which is quite fun to explore.

Took my dog and we had a good time. Easy to get to the top of the falls but it was a struggle for me to get down to the bottom of the waterfall. It was cloudy and windy so it was cool and.very enjoyable sitting under the falls. My dog got to swim a little before we had to leave.

This is an easy hike, I waited until day after the Hurricane Nate event to ensure there was plenty of water for the falls. My only advice, be careful when going with it wet, rocks are slick on the way to the bottom of falls.

Our family (me, wife, child age 12, child age 10, and child age 6) had a lot of fun! Once you turn into the woods, it doesn't take long to find the top of the falls. It's a beautiful sight looking down into the valley. There's plenty of places to stop and rest before making your way to the bottom of the falls. There is supposed to be a trail to the left of the falls which leads to the bottom, but we never found it. We did find the trail on the right and it was a fun little climb down to the bottom. The cave was fun to explore and our kids loved hopping on the rocks and crossing a log over the pool. We saw a trail to the left of the falls and took it back to the top, but we must have taken a wrong direction. We walked along the base of the cliff walls and found our way to the top of the valley. Unfortunately, it put us a good 1/2 mile down a "road" being used for clear-cutting the forest. It was a tangle of tree limbs covering the entire road. We walked on top of the cut-down trees and brush until we made our way back to the top of the falls. While the unexpected detour and dangerous "road" made it a little exciting, we had a lot of fun and plan to go again.

I liked the walk and hike to the waterfall. I felt like I was trespassing where I had to park. That's the only down side to it to me. But my car was where I left it so yeah I may go back.

Easy hike, waterfall/cave is beautiful. Graffiti/trash in cave is disappointing. Pond where waterfalls leads is too shallow to swim.

Pretty place, should have come on a cloudy day because there sun beats down on you the most of the way there. We brought the kids, and it's def not 4 and 5 year old kid friendly, maybe 10 and 12 year old preteen friendly. That said, I'm sure we'll do it again, preferably without the kids though.

Too hot today for a long hike...this was an easy one with a nice waterfall. No trail markings and sketchy cell signal, but no problems finding the falls. The hike in is a dirt road, only the short trek to the falls is on a trail. The falls are pretty, but there is quite a lot of graffiti (really hate that!) and there was also some trash. I didn't have my backpack today or I would have at least policed up the area. Definitely worth the easy hike though..will go back!

The falls are looking good after the weekday rains!

Beautiful! Take water!