Falling Rock Falls Hike is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montevallo, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 262 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A short hike reveals a hidden treasure... a 90 foot waterfall. Park at the locked gate at the trailhead. Go around the gate and walk up the road. Take the first road to your left (about half a mile from the trailhead). Follow this road and take the first road on your right. Hike about a quarter-mile to a road on your left. This road has large dirt berm across it along with a deep ditch, to keep wheeled vehicles from entering the area. Hike the small trail which leads around the berm and leads down the hill. When you reach the bottom of the hill you will see Eddings Creek and the top of Falling Rock Falls. Be VERY careful in this area as the rocks can be quite slippery and a fall from here could be fatal. If hiking with children, please keep them away from the edge of the falls. There are small trails on both sides of the falls that lead to the bottom of the falls. Once again, exercise extreme caution on these trails. There is a cavern behind the falls which is quite fun to explore.

Easy to the point before the falls and the last .09 miles is down a steep cliff. Be careful with kids and pets! It could be deadly.

The first part of the trail was easy for anyone. Once you’re down closer to the actually waterfall it’s steep and rocky and rooted. I wouldn’t suggest kids under like 7-8 unless you’re wearing them lots of ways to trip and fall. Hard for smaller dogs also.

Easy hike to top of waterfall. The trek down to the bottom and back up was on the strenuous side in places but so worth how gorgeous of a place it is.

The trail starts out as a gravel road. Go left at first fork then right at second fork then look for trail in woods that passes over a creek in two places . You actually walk across the top of first waterfall to get to larger second waterfall. The trail is not marked at all. Make sure you have the map down loaded. I did have service until bottom of waterfall. The gravel part has no shade but the wooded trail to waterfall is shaded. There was enough water for our dog to swim. After a rain, may be enough for people. Once you enjoy the larger waterfall with swimming hole, you can hike to the left of it to a smaller waterfall. The rock formations on that short part of the hike are beautiful. Look like fairy houses!

the falls are beautiful!

Don't be fooled by the gravel road leading to the falls. No, there's not much to see on the way in but the falls are worth it. The climb down to the falls is challenging. Very easy to fall. Be careful and enjoy. Great hike with my sweet boyfriend. ;)

Everyone is right about the trail, not much to see but the climb down to the falls is so worth it. We climbed down and had a picnic in the hammock. Side note..followed the rules to get the permit but no one was there.

Beautiful waterfall with a short hike.

We hiked this easy trail yesterday after a day of rain because we knew the waterfall would be more than a trickle. It was our first time and it was beautiful. We saw both waterfalls and enjoyed hiking along the water at the bottom. All the rocks are slippery but if you use the gravel you’ll be fine. Thank goodness I downloaded the map because nothing was marked as to how to get to the trails that lead to the waterfall. There are a couple of geocaches available if you are into that.

Great trail. Lots of foot traffic. Not to steep to walk down to. Lots of kids and dogs.

We did more than we thought... Got to the first waterfall, walked underneath and met the trail going up along the ridge to the second falls. Kept going along the trail crossing over the creek a few times down stream. At about the 2 mile mark, my son & I decided to connect to the gravel road on this map by climbing up the mountain and walking through the clear cut area. Straight up and footing was tough... Connected back to the gravel road system and made our way back to the car.

Good

recorded Falling Rock Falls Hike

Pretty easy trail but if the water is low there isn’t much to see

While there isn’t anything special about the walk along the gravel road, I really enjoyed the canyon and waterfalls. After I made my way to the cave and the bottom of the falls, I decided to hang a hammock down the creek and stay a while.

this was an awesome hike with my family. kids (3 and 5) and 2 dogs. Going down to the falls was a little slippery but a fun adventure for us. be cautious with the little ones though. my husband did have a tumble a short bit going down with our 3 year old, but overall not too bad and still says it was worth it for him. We just had a storm system go through yesterday so trail down was wet.

Interesting hike in. I'm not use to the gravel roads into trailheads, but we were the only ones there, gorgeous views. Had to find the trail down, the one on the right of the top of the falls was our best way down. gorgeous but no water on the falls when we went a few weeks ago. Was shocked with all the graffiti, but it was nice to see the art and color!

I've been going here for several years and is quite beautiful. I've even camped inn the big open faced cave a couple times. It's steadily become more and more painted inside the cave which, while I love art, I also love nature. So the painted cave is a bit disheartening but it's still a nice place to go. I've taken my kids here several times and it can be difficult for younger kids but my kids 8 & up love it and ask to go back frequently.

HIKING WITH YOUNG KIDS: In appropriate weather, this hike probably IS "easy". We, however, hiked it in June mid-morning and let it be known: the thick gravel road in (and out) is COMPLETELY open to the elements, i.e. the sun. We had a baby in a hiking backpack (with shade, thank god) but the climb up and down the hilly gravel entrance really tried our endurance, simply due to heat intolerance. Should others enjoy hiking with a tall baby carrier pack, do note that once in the woods, you're hiking on a very steep & narrow trail down to and back up from the falls, which has many areas with low branches, almost impossible to get under with a pack higher than your head. Again, it's not that it's a difficult trail, but you must know what lies ahead if you have extenuating circumstances, such as pack height or clumsy young children who are easily tripped up by roots and rocks. The falls were running even in June (we were delighted to take a cool, misty break). Mind your footing, per the trail summary, as the rocks definitely are jagged down there and have a slick film on them the closer you get to the water. It'd be a tough hike out should you twist an ankle or worse! Still gave it 5 stars because who doesn't love to sit and cool off under a friggin waterfall, but do come prepared!

Wed May 15 2019

Beginning to overgrow in some areas

Mon May 13 2019

Easy to walk there. Only last steps to go down is moderate. Awesome view from the top and bottom!

Tue Apr 30 2019

nice walk in mornings

Fri Apr 05 2019

Easy to the top of the waterfall, but a bit treacherous to get to the bottom of the waterfall and in the cave, however it was well worth it.

Thu Mar 28 2019

I would not consider this trail easy. There are steep areas with loose rock that are not “easy” in my opinion. Most of the trail is easy... but not if you want to actually see the waterfall. We couldn’t find the trail down to the creek to find the 2nd fall.

Sun Feb 24 2019

Been out many times over the years. Idiots spray painted all under first waterfall and several areas going to second. Then sprayed up in cave. People like that do not deserve to breath...Just My Opinion

Fri Feb 15 2019

went a few weeks ago. boring at first along the road, but once you get to the waterfall it's great! hiked (rolled) down to the base of the waterfall then hiked along the creek to the second waterfall. both are beautiful. we decided to climb out and up to the top next to the "cave" near the second waterfall then walked back to the trail along the logging road. feet got wet a few times.

Tue Feb 05 2019

Went yesterday for the first time. Loved the view much prettier in person and the hike was easy!

Wed Jan 30 2019

theres two waterfalls on this trail worth a look