Falling Rock Falls Hike

Falling Rock Falls Hike is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Montevallo, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A short hike reveals a hidden treasure... a 90 foot waterfall. Park at the locked gate at the trailhead. Go around the gate and walk up the road. Take the first road to your left (about half a mile from the trailhead). Follow this road and take the first road on your right. Hike about a quarter-mile to a road on your left. This road has large dirt berm across it along with a deep ditch, to keep wheeled vehicles from entering the area. Hike the small trail which leads around the berm and leads down the hill. When you reach the bottom of the hill you will see Eddings Creek and the top of Falling Rock Falls. Be VERY careful in this area as the rocks can be quite slippery and a fall from here could be fatal. If hiking with children, please keep them away from the edge of the falls. There are small trails on both sides of the falls that lead to the bottom of the falls. Once again, exercise extreme caution on these trails. There is a cavern behind the falls which is quite fun to explore.

The first part offered little shade since most of the trees had been cut down. The hike itself is easy, but the trail isn’t marked. We saw quite a bit of garbage, particularly broken glass. The 2 waterfalls are beautiful, though. The trail between the first waterfall and the second is overgrown, and we found ticks on us. While we were there, we saw a group rappelling down the first waterfall , and that looked fun!

Hike to the falls is easy, mostly on a gravel road and not incredibly scenic. The falls itself is beautiful but unfortunately covered in ugly graffiti.

Easy walk to falls. Follow the trail to the right (as you are looking over the falls) to reach the bottom. Use trail to access the area underneath the falls, then continue to follow trail until you reach the second falls. You can exit on the opposite side of the second falls and follow old logging road back to original falls. Fun, easy hike.

This was a beautiful hike. I loved the waterfall! I used the map in this app to track where I was on the trail. I’m not sure I would have known where to go without it, so I’m glad that feature is available. When you get to the top of the falls, turn right and then make your way down after you go down the trail a bit further. Once at the bottom of the falls, if you cross over the creek and follow it down stream a bit until it curves around to the left, you can turn left at that curve and follow that upstream to another smaller waterfall that’s beautiful and very peaceful. This one is marked kid friendly. I wouldn’t take my small kids with me (ages 4 and 5). Older kids would be ok. It’s a little tricky getting down to the falls and back up to the trail if you’re inexperienced or for littles. Overall, beautiful, short hike and totally worth it.

Great Trail. Super Easy or super boring depending on how you look at it, well the first part anyway. you take a don't path that leads to the top of the falls.once at the top you'll notice a little stream, don't cross over if you wanna get down to the bottom ( and believe me you will want to go.) The top of the falls is quite senic with a couple good spots. To get down to the bottom take a right at the top and not the LEFT, to the right is easier to get down there area few small paths that take you down the side into the canyon. Once down it's pretty spectacular to see a 90 foot drop. We went this past weekend and even saw it frozen down at the bottom. It is well worth the trip and can add another to the list.

Took my dog and we had a good time. Easy to get to the top of the falls but it was a struggle for me to get down to the bottom of the waterfall. It was cloudy and windy so it was cool and.very enjoyable sitting under the falls. My dog got to swim a little before we had to leave.

This is an easy hike, I waited until day after the Hurricane Nate event to ensure there was plenty of water for the falls. My only advice, be careful when going with it wet, rocks are slick on the way to the bottom of falls.

Our family (me, wife, child age 12, child age 10, and child age 6) had a lot of fun! Once you turn into the woods, it doesn't take long to find the top of the falls. It's a beautiful sight looking down into the valley. There's plenty of places to stop and rest before making your way to the bottom of the falls. There is supposed to be a trail to the left of the falls which leads to the bottom, but we never found it. We did find the trail on the right and it was a fun little climb down to the bottom. The cave was fun to explore and our kids loved hopping on the rocks and crossing a log over the pool. We saw a trail to the left of the falls and took it back to the top, but we must have taken a wrong direction. We walked along the base of the cliff walls and found our way to the top of the valley. Unfortunately, it put us a good 1/2 mile down a "road" being used for clear-cutting the forest. It was a tangle of tree limbs covering the entire road. We walked on top of the cut-down trees and brush until we made our way back to the top of the falls. While the unexpected detour and dangerous "road" made it a little exciting, we had a lot of fun and plan to go again.

I liked the walk and hike to the waterfall. I felt like I was trespassing where I had to park. That's the only down side to it to me. But my car was where I left it so yeah I may go back.

Easy hike, waterfall/cave is beautiful. Graffiti/trash in cave is disappointing. Pond where waterfalls leads is too shallow to swim.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Pretty place, should have come on a cloudy day because there sun beats down on you the most of the way there. We brought the kids, and it's def not 4 and 5 year old kid friendly, maybe 10 and 12 year old preteen friendly. That said, I'm sure we'll do it again, preferably without the kids though.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Too hot today for a long hike...this was an easy one with a nice waterfall. No trail markings and sketchy cell signal, but no problems finding the falls. The hike in is a dirt road, only the short trek to the falls is on a trail. The falls are pretty, but there is quite a lot of graffiti (really hate that!) and there was also some trash. I didn't have my backpack today or I would have at least policed up the area. Definitely worth the easy hike though..will go back!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

The falls are looking good after the weekday rains!

Monday, June 05, 2017

Beautiful! Take water!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

It should be noted that there are actually two waterfalls here. Just continue following the trail under the first in order to reach the second.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Very easy hike, except getting down to the waterfall which isn't bad. Enjoyed seeing both waterfalls.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

My 9-year-old and I did this easily! What fun walking behind the falls. We will definitely enjoy this one again.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Very beautiful. 4 stars because of the graffiti, and most the trail to the fall is a driveway like road

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Fun easy hike especially if you have kids. Mine thoroughly enjoyed it and we will be going back.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Easy hike in. Cave under the waterfall. We went in the first week of October. There has been no rain and subsequently no water fall. The pond under the water fall is dried up. Found a lot of animal tracks in the area of some of puddles of water that were still present.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Great experience, easy hike to the top of the falls, a bit of a challenge to get to the bottom. The second waterfall is an added treat. Bring a trash bag and gloves, idiots visit and leave their mark. Leave nothing of value in your car. Beautiful trip.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

the hike was relatively simple for a 3 years old and a 6 years old. however, once we arrived at the destination, we were on top of the waterfall so I was very paranoid that my kids would slip and fall down. so we stayed nearby a creek which led to the waterfall ledge. I will go alone next time to check how we can get under the waterfall. Overall, it was a beautiful nature hike.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Amazing Experience The Hike wasn't to bad, all but getting back up the hill from under the falls. Beautiful sights just a great experience highly recommend it, it'll be well worth while.

Monday, May 30, 2016

I love Falling Rock. Short hike with a steep ending to get to the waterfall.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Beautiful destination. My son and I brought my wife here for Mother's day. The trash at the bottom of the falls wasn't too bad, but we still managed to fill half of a 50-gallon lawn bag. The highlighted path on the map in the app took us to the pump at the end of the road, so we had to backtrack to the turn off to go to the top of the falls.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

My girlfriend and I went for the first time today. We had a blast! Waterfalls were beautiful! The hike isn't bad unless you decide to go down underneath the falls, then it can get a little harder. Great time!

Monday, April 11, 2016

two amazing waterfalls, really fun to hike

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Wow. Beautiful waterfall (2 waterfalls). Biked in to the oil/gas pump, listened for the water and hiked through the woods (no trail here), following a trail of trash. Please take a trash bag and some gloves to leave the place better than you find it. The previous review nailed the directions. The app really helped finding the way much easier.

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Long gravel road, we read about all the trash there and it's true so we took trash bags and filled them up. Somebody needs to care. Once at the falls...it's amazing. Very steep hike from the bigger falls to the smaller falls. Beautiful!!!!! What a gem. Our trash pick up didn't make a dent. Go left on the gravel, then take the first right. It dead ends but the trail is red dirt and it's on the left. Take a trash bag....it appears teenagers etc are partying there. Such a pretty place.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

My 1st time using the app. So glad I did! Never knew about this place. Directions were spot on. Nice hike down to the falls which was flowing. Made my way to the 2nd waterfall as well. I'll definitely go back with my son. He'll love it. Can't wait for my next hike.