Eberhart Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gaylesville, Alabama that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for trail running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 354 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Completed this trail yesterday. The views were very nice, however the trail was not. The trail is very steep and almost straight down the whole way. Going down is easy, but you are lucky if you don’t slide down a few times. Coming up is horrible, even for people in great health conditions. Definitely will wear you out. I would not recommend bringing small kids due to it being slightly dangerous.

It’s a great place to go. But, if your older and I am and not used to walking on a grade be wise. I’m used to walking on a flat level ground and I tell you if not for a wonderful family I would have never made it back up that grade. They gave me an orange a cliff bar and pear and their walking sticks. They also came back to check on me. I honestly did not think I was going to make it back out. But praise God I made it. So when I tell you the climb back up is a beast it is a beast. But I enjoyed every moment and thanks again for the Ireland family they were a God send

I didn’t get to explore the end of the trail once I reached the bottom. My wife stopped halfway down and refused to go further because of the trek back up . Can we please acknowledge the exhausting hike back to the trail head? My legs were on fire!

One of the strenuous trails at Little River Canyon, but well worth the trip. It's a zigzag hike, down a rough, deeply rutted-out, old service road from the days when there was an amusement park at the top that offered a sky lift to the bottom of the canyon. You will see remains of several picnic tables, concrete anchor blocks from the cable supports and partial remains of a concession area. A perfect place for a summer swim and rest before tackling the arduous trek back up.

looks amazing for in the summer with a watering hole to play in. pretty steep hike out though.

Very steep hike down to the water. Looks like a good place to swim in the summer. I would only take kids if you're more experienced or you would need to add a little more time to the hike.

a horrible crazy steep, washed out gravel road to one of the best places in little river. Worth it. Awesome swimming at bottom. look for wooded trail behind second bench going up. it'll take you on a much more enjoyable hike out.

Very steep but nice view of river and canyon wall! Well worth the hike!

This is a really steep trail. That should be a given, since it is around 3/4 mile and goes down to the canyon floor. It will beat your tail, going back up! There are benches along the trail. You will need them. On a good note, it was originally either a service road or an old logging road and is fairly wide. The scenery at the bottom is truly some of God's finest work! There are a few usable picnic tables, some remains of some old tables and some other interesting remains at the bottom.

Straight down and then straight up. Pretty view at the bottom. Would be a nice place to swim in the summer.

Steeeep, mildly washed out in the middle parts so be careful. Your thighs will hate you but it’s so worth it to explore the bottom of the canyon, bring swim clothes if you want there’s quite a few places to take a little swim! Gorgeous views.

I’ve done this trail a few times now. Took my dog the first time and she had a blast. We explored the canyon, swam, and got some great pictures. The trail is very steep and coming back up is very hard, but it is so worth it. One of my favorite places to go for a short hike.

I never get tired of this trail, but I’m usually exhausted when I get back to the top! A great place to get in a quick workout or spend all day exploring the canyon floor. Great views and several places to take a swim. Definitely worth the work!

Tough, steep trail, but worth the effort. This takes you down to the Little River and into the Canyon. Great views.

Super steep getting down the canyon but totally worth it. Nice open access at the bottom to the river.

not a trail...a service road that will beat your ass. the end results are worth it.

Mon May 27 2019

Hike down was great, hike back up was brutal!

Mon May 06 2019

Wow! Such a good workout, the scene at the bottom is pretty cool, can go along the river if the water isn’t too high, nice challenge on the way back and there had me running down ;)

Mon Apr 08 2019

Believe and respect the posts...the climb back up isn’t for couch potatoes.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Very steep trail in and out. Views are wonderful. Great for early morning, or late evening hike. Hike is short but very challenging.

Mon Sep 17 2018

I have to agree with the other reviews. It is a very steep trail but it is worth the effort when you get to the river it offers spectacular views. I loved this trail and would recommend it.

Thu Sep 13 2018

Did this trail last year. It's short but spectacular and the peacefulness down on the river is soothing. The climb back up is a tough one. Take your time. I spoke with a local and they told me that they used to have concerts down in the gorge. There is old concrete picnic tables, a foundation of an old concession stand and blocks. They said there was a cable lift that lowered the bands and equipment into the gorge. And the Band Alabama is from there, Randy owns a large spread on the mountain, they used to play there back in the day.