Dismals Canyon

Dismals Canyon is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phil Campbell, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

Was a "wonders of the world" experience since dismalites (or glow worms) are exclusive to this canyon. It was phenomenal and would love to come back. Definitely worth checking of my bucket list!

Do the canyon during the day...don't expect a light show or anything during the night tour...

I feel like the top area has become too built up. Half finished walls, fountains, Electronic gates, pool patios above dam...bizarre. I don't know why they just haven't kept it as rustic as possible...

I loved our camping spot, I loved the hike...I am rating it a 2 because the cost of the tour was too expensive for what it was. I would go back for just the hike.

Dismals Canyon is not open year around as stated on this ap. It’s closed from December through February

My family and i went here for the night dismal viewing. The pictures on the website are not what you will see. -fair warning-. We were so disappointed in that. we did see some glow in the dark dismals. I would describe it as little pins of light on a dark cabe wall. Also we have 30 people looking at a 25 ft wall on a cave and see 4 pins of light and that was all. The guide (who was very knowledgeable and helpful) tells u all about these creatures and that this is a unique thing to see, but this website is very very misleading. We had to pay $10 each and it was ok for the money. I wouldnt recommend it unless u went during the day too. we walked along some nice caves but could enjoy the scenery because it was dark. If u go see it during the day and night so you can enjoy it both ways.

Park Entrance
N3419.642 W08746.946
Easy Hike

Simply a must for a hiker or camper.

LOVED this place!!! Did the night tour and also day hiked. We camped at Sleeping Water by a waterfall which was very private. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Grandkids and I had a great time, I want to go back!

AMAZING OVERALL. You can't miss the night tour to see the dismalites (glow worms). It was perfect for the kids (5yrs girl and 9yrs boy).

very pretty place. my family liked the hiking and going off on the side trails. We enjoy swimming in the falls rather than the hole ur supposed to swim in. i did think the price of admission was a little high, but we had a great time.

short hike, unless you have a 5yr old.

Beautiful place!

So pretty! We camped under a cave shelf. Beautiful hike with lots of water. Wear water shoes.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Amazing place, easy hike, beautiful place! Cant wait to come back!!!!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

This is a very beautiful trail with waterfalls, large boulders, and lots of hidden gems (side trails).

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Beautiful!

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

First timer. Lots of steps. Slim areas. Was very pretty.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Very interesting place but short hike. The night Dismalite tour is worth the money.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

This place is so beautiful. Definitely a must visit!!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

ONLY OPEN WEEKENDS! OPENS IN MARCH! We were going to do this trail yesterday but sadly should have looked on the website. Can't wait to try it later in the year though!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

I have been going to dismals since I was a little girl. It is absolutely beautiful. some parts of the trail are a little rough, but worth it.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Love this trail. The only thing is that it can be hard to follow. Got a little lost a few times. Never to far from the trail. I got some great views because of it. Also some of the creek crossings are worn out and washed away so you have to go to the end of the canyon to cross a makeshift crossing to get back on trail. Other than that is is great.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Easy hike with beautiful scenery. However, it's a little pricey for such a short hike.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

It was was an okay hike but I personally did not think it was worth 10 dollars a person. It was not that long and there was to many people for my liking.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Best hiking in Alabama. There are different trails varying in difficulty.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

fun and beautiful trial, worth the trip parking is tight

Monday, May 30, 2016

Parking was a bit of an issue as there were no traffic flow arrows in the tight quarters parking lot. In the midst of trying to turn around, my truck was scraped by a guard post. The trails aren't marked too well, but are worn well enough to find your way around. We mainly followed the path of other people in sight to see the way they are going. The addition of sand in some areas is for traction I presume and was more of a nusance than of any benefit. Other than that, the hike and view was outstanding

Monday, May 23, 2016

This is a short and sweet hike. Be prepared to pay $10/person and wait for crowds. I do not recommend coming here during the weekend or peak hours. Overall a beautiful place and must see.

Friday, September 04, 2015

Great hike, a lot of interesting rock formations.