Learn more

Dismals Canyon [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(137)
Dismal Canyon Conservatory

Dismals Canyon [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hackleburg, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 26 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

fee

Upon your arrival to Dismals Canyon, go to the Country Store to: Register for access to the Canyon Floor Register for Guided Night Tours Check-in/check-out for Camping and Cabins Admission is charged for entrance to the conservatory, even if you don’t hike the Canyon Floor. NO admission is charged if you only come to eat at the Fountain and/or shop at the Country Store. Everyone must register & get a wrist bracelet. Property access is limited to registered guests only. No refunds on Dismalite Night Tours unless cancelled by Dismals Canyon. We accept: Visa, MasterCard, Discover. No personal checks. Gate Fee: Sunday-Thursday, gates locked at 5:00pm. Anyone who fails to leave by 5 will have to pay a late gate fee of $25.00. Admission Rates for the Conservatory/Canyon Foor Day Tour (self guided) Adult: $12 Over 60: $11 Under 12: $8.75

It is overpriced, it was overcrowded and I will go back. The huge moss covered boulders, cracks and crevices in the little canyon are great. Cold spring water running down the middle seems to help keep the temperature down. Sandy trails with some muddy areas can get slippery and occasional water crossing may justify wearing water friendly footwear vs legit hiking shoes (either will be fine). We double dipped and visited Natural Bridge the same day. (35 min away)

Wonderful place to introduce kids to hiking and camping. My daughter has done a number of day hikes with me, but this was her first overnight trip (we camped at Sleeping Water). She had an absolute blast and wants to camp some more. The canyon itself is beautiful. Very easy, very short trail, but has enough neat features to spend some good time exploring. The Dismalite tour was very neat and enjoyable. I think the highlight for my daughter was Sleeping Water, she really enjoyed the campsite. Great trip.

fee

This is more of a trail for families and beginners. Experienced hikers looking for a challenge will be disappointed. Great hike for families and dogs. Highly recommend for those. Not too long or technical but still a good deal of nature to experience. There is a $10/person fee. You can do it and keep your feet dry but I recommend bringing an extra pair of shoes so you can better explore and enjoy the stream that runs through the middle of the canyon. Bring a change of clothes for kids as well so they can better experience everything this area offers.

Definitely a hike for the kids, not so much of a hike, as much as a guided walk in the woods and caves. Not disappointed, but only coming back when i have little ones.

The shop was closed when we arrived due to Covid19 but we were still allowed to enter. About $8/person to get in and definitely a place to bring kids. I would go elsewhere if you’re looking for a hiking trail because this was more of a tourist attraction. Thank goodness we went early because it got too crowded on our way out! But overall it was a great stroll along a stream and very shady.

I was very underwhelmed by the entire experience. First, it's an extremely small place for such a hefty entry fee. There are much more beautiful trails in Alabama that are completely free. Second, it was insanely crowded and not at all peaceful. There were groups everywhere, some of which were blaring really filthy music (I'm aware that I sound like an old fart) and had no regard for other people. Also lots and lots of screaming kids. (I LOVE that parents are introducing their children to the outdoors but it is not what I expected.) It could be that my expectations were just too great and too different. If you want somewhere to bring kids and piddle and enjoy some nature, it's good (just not for the price). If you're looking for more of a hike, seclusion, or picturesque scenery, I would go elsewhere.

private property

Absolutely gorgeous trail! almost enchanted Forrest like. the miss covered boulders are beautiful. Not a difficult hike and not too long. Kid friendly for sure. Will def go again!

private property

Very well maintained trail, there is a fee per person to hike but worth it in my opinion. The canyon floor is filled with moss-covered boulders and lots of ferns. There are a couple of water areas that are shallow and perfect for pups to cool off in. My husband and I had a blast with our pup.

Everywhere you turn there's something amazing to see. Worth the trip and payment to the land owners.

Lovvvve this place !! Short trail but beautiful.

Good little hike! I recommend good water shoes to get the most out of it though. But great view and hike overall!

private property

My kids and I loved Dismals canyon! It was a little expensive to get in. It’s is closer to 1.5 miles, perfect for a beginner! I didn’t like having to walk in the water to cross the creek, but not really that big of a deal! Will definitely go back!

fee

Family and two small dogs enjoyed the hike. Yes, they charge an admission fee. No big deal. Take a few stairs and you are down in the canyon floor. The hike is only 1.5 miles long but there s plenty to keep you entertained. This environment is nothing like most of Alabama - stunning. The canyon walls and moss on the rocks is beautiful and I love the hemlock trees. Reminds me of my time living in Pac Northwest. The creek will provide lots of entertainment for the kids. There are also some tables to eat a picnic lunch. We hiked during the Covid-19 - so the rules and admission are a little different and they are not currently offering night tours. Overall, it was worth the 2 hr drive and our time spent hiking.

private property

Great for the Family!! Very beautiful.. Rock formations were amazing. Waterfalls were enjoyable

Great trail, lots of features jam packed into the loop, many opportunities to explore some extra features if willing to take on a bit more technical terrain.

Such a wonderful place!! Once you make it to the canyon floor it’s like you’re in another world. Absolutely beautiful & kid friendly!! First went in November but will be back soon to enjoy the creek in warmer weather.

bridge out
private property

So incredibly disappointing! If you’ve ever hiked the free areas in the Sipsey Wilderness nearby then you have seen so much more! Waterfall is man made with concrete blocks at a store where you pay to walk their trail. Yes there are boulders but they are free to see in the National Forest nearby as well! Do yourself a favor and hike to Turkey Foot Falls and Mize Mills nearby for free!!

fee

freaking amazing hike... they don't call it middle Earth for nothing

We enjoyed the hike. although it's only 1.6 miles it's easy for a family . There are a couple of creek crossing that may produce wet socks if water is high, but overall, a great short hike. they dont do the night hike on fri, which was disappointing, as we wanted to experience the glow in the dark " dismalities". Had a blast other than that