Dauphin Island Audubon Bird Sanctuary is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fort Gaines, Alabama that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for walking and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

I grew-up loving to walk here. Sadly, I feel as though it is no longer safe. I took my dog for a walk here recently and found a lot of the trails near the pond (where the alligator is) are not being maintained. There is too much growth, with the trail wandering dangerously close to the waters edge. There have been several alligator attacks this year on people and I do feel that the managers of the park could make the trails feel more safe, taking note of the dangers of alligators especially in the summer.

This is one of my favorite afternoon hikes. It doesn’t take long, but there’s plenty of wildlife (birds, skink, gator) to see. I love taking a breather at the beach and enjoying the view of Sand Island Lighthouse in the distance.

Walked 3.5 miles on this maze of trails today and loved every step. The scenery is beautiful from the tall pines to the beach looking out at the white caps of the gulf. Great for families with kids, great trail for running or simply walking.

Just walked the trail with all my backpacking gear in preparation for our upcoming AT hike (we just got new packs and wanted to show them off, mostly). It was a lovely walk with great views! Definitely suggest giving it a go, if you have the time!

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

So beautiful. The trail takes you to a pond and then to the beach. It's so peaceful. Beware: there are no potties! Make sure you take your little ones to a restroom before you visit here! :)

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Beautiful change of pace on the island! Ocean, lake, woods, all on the same hike.

Sunday, June 04, 2017