Chinnabee Silent Trail

Chinnabee Silent Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 892 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Access at 646 off cheaha road or 281.

Loved this trail for a day hike. A great walk in the woods. Completed April 2018

We went in from turnip seed camp ground and spotted only a few markings far in. There was one area where the trail looked to go in one direction that lead to a dead end. Most areas were well traveled with a clear trail. Only a couple of tree falls but passable. The views were nice! I will do it again!

All of the reviews are accurate. I'm VERY reactive to poison ivy, but I hiked in sweat pants and my coverage was good enough that I didn't rash up. I'm not sure how accurate "7.3 miles" is, though. From the trailhead parking lot it says 4 miles to the lake, and if using that as a turn-around, it's every bit of an 8 mile hike. Was not a fan of the random branches of the trail with no clear marker which way to go, but we got lucky and guessed correctly.

Worth the hike once you get to the waterfalls! Lots of poison ivy, oak and sumac all over the trails but a great trail.

Gorgeous trail, but be prepared to scramble over rocks and around fallen trees. Very narrow and overgrown in places, and I’m sure I’m covered in poison ivy and oak, but I’ll definitely be back! Pretty bummed that camping is no longer allowed, because we passed some amazing campsites!

The trail was very enjoyable, though parts of it were quite overgrown with a vary narrow path and with poison ivy very close to the trail. About 3/4 of a mile in from the lake parking lot there is a great swimming hole - so come prepared to get wet. Then the trail meanders through the forest with varying scenery. At 3.2 miles you come to a great waterfall that you can wade in. We did see 2 snakes - one on the trail and one in the water. We turned around at the waterfall and headed back out - enjoying watching others enjoy the swimming hole. We'd like to come back in the fall.

The trail was great! A lot of good places to cool off or just soak your feet. Beautiful and will be going back again!

We stopped once at Devils Den. Beautiful hike. easy trail and the scenery is just awesome.

recorded Recording - May 27, 10:08 PM

Very pretty trail. Most of the trail had some degree of shade from the sun. With it being in the low to mid 90s, I was very glad that our time in direct sunlight was very limited. Came across one snake just a little ways from the very beginning. Don't expect to have much cell phone service. I noticed that I had service in 2 locations, at the Cheaha Falls Shelter and one other random spot where a notification buzz caught my attention. Cricket Wireless on AT&T's network, btw.

Moderate trail with lots of beautiful vegetation, lots of blueberries, birds and of course the falls and river. Can't wait to go out again

My favorite trail of all time!

Great trail for kids. Nice waterfalls

A beautiful hike with views of the streams and waterfalls. The water crossing on the eastern end can be fairly difficult to cross without bare-footing it across the stream. Would happily do this trail again!

Lots of water this time of year. Very nice hike, We started it at Turnipseed Campground.

beautiful water views throughout. easy to get off trail though.

From Turnipseed. Campground, we hiked out to the Lake Chinnabee dam and back. It rained very hard yesterday and Cheaha Creek was difficult to cross. It’s a moderate to easy trail except for the creek crossings in fast deep water. Really enjoyable.

Breathtaking in more ways then one. The lake at the start is a little scummy with alot of turtles and there are fish there so I am told. As usual, watch for snakes! The sights on the trail are beautiful. The trail veers back and forth away from the creek all along the way. There are 2 major waterfalls along this trail. The first, which is about a half mile in, is The devil's den. About a 20ft fall with a large pool below. The water is cold, but the thrill is there. A great place to relax in the water on the rocks above and catch some rays. Hike about another 2 1/2 miles further and you'll find the Cheaha shelter complete with fire pit, picnic table and an awesome view. Hiking just a little bit further down the hill from there and you find Cheaha falls. A 25-30ft drop that I wouldn't recommend jumping from unless you've got a harness and rope. Some very nice and level spots to camp next to the stream near by also.

I hiked this trail early last summer and It was beautiful...Cheaha Falls and Devil’s Den were full of water. I attempted to go back from Chinnabee Lake this January 2019 and the access point from the lake was closed. However, you can access It from the Turnipseed trailhead just a short distance away. You can get a paper map of all the Cheaha Wilderness trails from Cheaha State Park in the Park office/store. You don’t have to pay entrance fee to stop by there.

Disappointed - Talladega National Forrest entrance gate was locked and had a sign posted that read - Closed for Winter until March 01, 2019. Trailhead is roughly a mile from this gate, but there were lots of hunters with guns out in the area, so probably not safe to hike anyway.

I day-hiked this trail today (10/25/18) and really enjoyed it. It has some great scenery and the water supply is abundant. It’s a shame that some folks litter and don’t exercise any respect for the outdoors & nature. I will say that the majority of the litter was around “the swimming hole”. I do plan to return and hike this trail again and also do some camping.

Awesome trail! My 15 year old son and I hiked this in the morning of our second day of a three day backpack trip. Coming off the Pinhoti trail the first of two miles are a steep decent with the second being a gradual decent into the Turnipseed campground. 1/4 mile on either side of Turnipseed offers excellent camping spots with reliable water sources. Cheaha falls has multiple excellent camping spots with a shelter located about 1/8 mile up the trail heading towards the Devils Den falls. Most of this trail is under canopy; a beautiful hike which should take between 4-6 hours depending on your load and number of breaks you take!

I did an overnighter on this trail last weekend. Very nice trail. Got a little lost at the shelter which was actually fun. Plenty of water sources available as well as campsites. If you overnight you will have to park by the Turnipseed campsite off 281. They’ve closed the campground at Chinnabee Park so no overnight parking. Take the time to explore Devils Den. The trail is at the ridge top so you will either need to go down one of the many little trails or hike in from the park staying down by the water. All in all, great trip.

**WARNING** just took this hike on Labor Day and there were yellow jacket nests everywhere! luckily it was just me who got stung and not my wife, kid, or dogs. the hike itself is not bad but if you are there just to see the water then you would be better hiking to Cheah falls from the top then go back to your car and drive to lake Chinnabe and hiking to devel's den from there.

My dog and I had a great time on this trail. The swimming holes about a half mile from the Chinabee Lake trailhead make for a nice place to cool off after the hike.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Probably my favorite trail so far. If a three year old can do it, so can you! Devil’s Den is a must visit.