Chinnabee Silent Trail

Chinnabee Silent Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Acess at 646 off cheaha road or 281.

I hiked this trail early last summer and It was beautiful...Cheaha Falls and Devil’s Den were full of water. I attempted to go back from Chinnabee Lake this January 2019 and the access point from the lake was closed. However, you can access It from the Turnipseed trailhead just a short distance away. You can get a paper map of all the Cheaha Wilderness trails from Cheaha State Park in the Park office/store. You don’t have to pay entrance fee to stop by there.

Disappointed - Talladega National Forrest entrance gate was locked and had a sign posted that read - Closed for Winter until March 01, 2019. Trailhead is roughly a mile from this gate, but there were lots of hunters with guns out in the area, so probably not safe to hike anyway.

I day-hiked this trail today (10/25/18) and really enjoyed it. It has some great scenery and the water supply is abundant. It’s a shame that some folks litter and don’t exercise any respect for the outdoors & nature. I will say that the majority of the litter was around “the swimming hole”. I do plan to return and hike this trail again and also do some camping.

Awesome trail! My 15 year old son and I hiked this in the morning of our second day of a three day backpack trip. Coming off the Pinhoti trail the first of two miles are a steep decent with the second being a gradual decent into the Turnipseed campground. 1/4 mile on either side of Turnipseed offers excellent camping spots with reliable water sources. Cheaha falls has multiple excellent camping spots with a shelter located about 1/8 mile up the trail heading towards the Devils Den falls. Most of this trail is under canopy; a beautiful hike which should take between 4-6 hours depending on your load and number of breaks you take!

I did an overnighter on this trail last weekend. Very nice trail. Got a little lost at the shelter which was actually fun. Plenty of water sources available as well as campsites. If you overnight you will have to park by the Turnipseed campsite off 281. They’ve closed the campground at Chinnabee Park so no overnight parking. Take the time to explore Devils Den. The trail is at the ridge top so you will either need to go down one of the many little trails or hike in from the park staying down by the water. All in all, great trip.

**WARNING** just took this hike on Labor Day and there were yellow jacket nests everywhere! luckily it was just me who got stung and not my wife, kid, or dogs. the hike itself is not bad but if you are there just to see the water then you would be better hiking to Cheah falls from the top then go back to your car and drive to lake Chinnabe and hiking to devel's den from there.

My dog and I had a great time on this trail. The swimming holes about a half mile from the Chinabee Lake trailhead make for a nice place to cool off after the hike.

Probably my favorite trail so far. If a three year old can do it, so can you! Devil’s Den is a must visit.

This likely won’t apply to anyone who uses this app, but I have to say it: flip flops aren’t ideal hiking shoes, particularly the $5 Alvin’s Island variety, and I am not sure why anyone would think they were. So, I felt very little pity for all the folks I saw on the trail wearing said shoes and complaining about their difficulties: “they should let people know...yada yada yada.”

Nope...you shouldn’t go for walk in the woods wearing shower shoes. Craziness.

ALSO....please carry you garbage out with you!!!

This was a very beautiful trail. A large portion of it winds right beside a stream blotted with lots of drops and a waterfall or two.For me it was a fairly easy trail and only became more inclined halfway through. A good trekking pole would serve most people well. A must see if you are in northeast Alabama.

My only slight negative is that it was highly trafficked, at least compared with most other trails I’ve been on. This could’ve also stemmed from it being Memorial Day weekend however.I like the solitude of a lonely trail, but that is just my preference. Great trail nonetheless!

This trail has it all! Planted pines where you can see for 100s of yards, beautiful waterfalls, and numerous overlooks and elevation changes. I started at the Turnip Seed side of the trail and hiked to Lake Chinnabee. The trail is very well maintained the only spot where it was a little dicey was when you get to Cheaha Falls just continue right over the flat rocks before the falls and follow the trail which works it’s way up the hill to the left to the Cheaha Falls Shelter, where I chose to camp. Devils Den Falls is also an amazing place, perfect for swimming. I would watch for snakes obviously I had one cross the trail in front of me along a stagnant part of the creek. Also there are a lot of bear postings so be aware of that and use a bear bag 200 ft minimum from your campsite if overnighting. I will definitely be back!

This was a great Trail I enjoyed the hike.The forest was showing signs of Spring everywhere. it looked like they may have attempted to do a controlled burn on both sides of the trail most of the way. there was alot of burned and scorched forest on both sides of the trail, amazingly the trail itself showed no signs of being burned.

Great trail! It is muddy for the first section but besides that it was great. We stayed the night in the shelter after a short hike in (~3.5 miles) and then hiked out the next morning! Good hike for a beginner backpacking trip I have been on several and this was one of the easiest. It was a gradual uphill in and all downhill on the way back. Very nice!

Hiked this yesterday, but only to get to Cheaha Falls which is about 1.5 Miles from Turnip Seed Parking Area.Parking at Turnip seed cross the highway and follow the Silent Trail until it leads to the falls. Great swimming hole for the summer. Pretty area. It was late in the day and we were unsure how far the rest of the trails went or where they led to. I highly recommend picking up a nap from the store at the opening of Cheaha Map.

Hiked this yesterday from the turnipseed trailhead. Great hike. Way more beautiful than I expected.

Only issue was that it was unclear which way the trail went once you got to cheaha falls. There are multiple paths in that area. Chinabee silent trail goes straight across the top of the falls to the other side.

Great trail. Falls were a great site to see and hear. My fiancé and I hiked it with our dog. The Cheaha 50k happened to be racing through. It was fun cheering on the runners. Only mistake was that we wanted to start at Chinnabee Lake. It’s closed until March 1. Fun one though.

Backpacked in/out from 281 last weekend with my husband, 11-year-old daughter, and our dog. Great family hike -- not too rigorous with interesting geology, plant life, and water falls! The first section of the trail from 281 to Cheaha Falls is a bit busy with lots of folks just hiking in to the view the main falls, but traffic diminishes considerably after you cross the creek. We ended up with a sweet little camp spot down in the valley off the left-hand side of the trail in the area known as Devil's Den.

Did this trail today. It did my disappoint!

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

very easy coming from rt281 to the falls only 1 mile in and out

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Have done this trail many times with my family. Very pretty.

Friday, November 10, 2017

Love this trail one of the best in the area.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Amazing scenery and a few waterfalls. Went with a group of friends and we enjoyed every minute of it!

Monday, September 04, 2017

Beautiful scenery and waterfalls! excellent trail to hike.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Relatively easy hike in from the main road to the waterfalls.

Monday, July 10, 2017

The falls were absolutely amazing! Stopped and set up hammocks. Walked around naked for about 2 hours. haha. Not a soul in sight. A beautiful getaway

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Nice trail with some excellent views of Cheaha park. Lots of changing terrain and a wide array of rock formations, swimming holes and vegetation. Single file with heavy brush at some points though. You kind of have to melt into the brush to let others pass. We did it out and back in about 4 hours with a stop for lunch.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Beautiful trail! I was lucky enough to experience this area a weekend after heavy rainfall to the north so the falls were phenomenal.

Friday, April 21, 2017

LOVE the chinnabee!! It's a must when in Cheaha!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Love the silent trail,not much traffic and jsut a great place to clear your mind. Cheaha Falls is on this trail and it's one of my favorite swimming spots! It's a a must when going to CSP!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

beautiful waterfalls at devil's den.