Learn more

Chinnabee Silent Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 892 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Fishing Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Forest Lake River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Blowdown Bugs Muddy Rocky
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Note: Users have reported that the trailhead from Lake Chinnabee Recreation Area is closed due to COVID-19. For now, visitors can access the trail from Turnipseed Campground on 281. Access at 646 off cheaha road or 281.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (285)
Photos (404)
Recordings (219)
Completed (637)
Gloria W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 24, 2020
CampingGreat!

Nice trail. Overgrown towards the lake side coming from the Chinnabee parking lot end. We camped there for two nights, great spot along the creek/waterfall. The shelter is a great spot for views!

HufflemyPuff Siriusly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

it was an amazing experience to share with my kids. we camped over night on the trail with our four kids 8-1yo. they made it to the lake from the start near turnipseed then I hiked back and picked them and dad up at the recreation area. my 5year old trecked ahead of all of us blazing the lead. he probably could have done the whole trail there and back with ease but, he wasn't carrying much except water for himself lol. over all I'm sore stinky tired and so amazingly impressed by my beautiful family and am so proud of my kids and what they accomplished these last two days

View HufflemyPuff's Recording
Jamie Parham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingGreat!Over grown

Was a great trail. Was overgrown over towards the lake end.

View Jamie's Recording
Samantha Macy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

The waterfalls were nice to dip our toes in! The trail was relatively clear and not too challenging to hike.

View Samantha's Recording
Susan Baudhuin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020
Hiking

Love waterfalls? Then this is the hike for you! Have hiked this trail several times and it’s always a favorite. Yesterday we went from Chinnabee rec area to turnipseed and back The trail was pretty overgrown for the first 1.25 miles. Definitely could use some maintenance! We were really disappointed to see quite a bit of trash around the Devil’s Den area. Pack it out, people!

Lydia Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 26, 2020
View Lydia's Recording
Lydia Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 26, 2020
View Lydia's Recording
Brandon Maxwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!Rocky

My family and I hiked from Turnipseed to Devils den. The trail was nice several good camping spots if you want to overnight. We hiked on a Friday and only saw 2 other people. Video link Backpacking 2020 https://youtu.be/DGHe0kiCQ-E

Paulette Clements
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

The Chinnabee Rec area is open. We hiked from the recreation area all the way to Turnipseed campground. Great hike. Part of the trail are overgrown was tall grasses. Plenty of water and devils den. And Cheaha Falls was beautiful!

View Paulette's Recording
Lisa Jackson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugs

Pretty trail with lots of mini waterfalls. We were on the trail right as it finished raining and the views were amazing. Looks well traveled. Not too many people out on the trail. There are two cool swimming holes with a rock to jump from right off the paths! Take $3 for parking costs. According to my Apple Watch, I gained about 800 in elevation and the hike was about 7mi..

View Lisa's Recording
andrea persson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! We wanted to arrive to Devil’s Den but was a little far of what we anticipated. We decided to go back and enjoy the Cheaha falls. Next day we did the other half part of the trail until Devil’s Den. We parked at the Chineabee lake and from there it’s a short but moderate trail to Devil’s Den. Beautiful stop to swim and enjoy a big jumping to the water from Devil’s Den. We did both trails with our dachshund dog and some parts of the trail we carried him on the backpack.

Debbie Tolman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020

First hike using the app. Maps were definitely helpful. Trail was a great challenge to build endurance for future 10 mile hikes. Scenery was nice. Waterfalls were a great place to stop for a snack. Not very crowded for a holiday weekend.

Stephanie Gillis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Hiking

Hiked this trail with my family yesterday. We’re novice hikers so I don’t have much to compare it to but here’s my review. The parking lot on 281 is open so we started there. We stopped at Cheaha Falls and decided to go to Devil’s Den. It was a little farther than we anticipated but it was worth the hike...the falls were beautiful. The hike back to the car was more enjoyable because I took the time to look at all the wildflowers. My family had a great time; I highly recommend this trail!

Ahren Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
CampingClosed

awesome views- hopped on the trail toward turnipseed campground!

Nathon Roden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020

wow. what a trip that devil's den was. I loved it, the whole hike. but cooling off in that was amazing. do go. if you're reading reviews, do go. I promise it's worth it.

Paul Hnizdil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

Family loved the trek. We went end to end and enjoyed both falls. No need to be in a hurry.

Lanie Hoover
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
Hiking

Was our first experience with actual hiking. Loved the waterfalls and experience. Will definitely be looking for more trails to explore!

William Barrett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
Hiking

Nice Trail. Detour so took gravel road. Very dusty drive. Hated that for my truck. Parked alongside road. Hike into falls is VERY easy. No real elevation gain. Our two small schnauzers were very comfortable on the hike. My daughter wanted to play around the falls. Was crowded at base of falls so we went 100 yards downstream. She played in the water and on the rocks. Coming out she saw a coiled snake with mouth open that she almost stepped on. Thank goodness she did not. Then she spotted another swimming in the pool right where she had been. Very much freaked her out. She’s not easily rattled. Needless to say, we cut the hike short and did not hike to the second falls. Be careful with little ones.

Annie Desmond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
Hiking

Counter clockwise from Adams Gap and spent the night at Cheaha falls for a nice overnight. Lost the trail a bit around mile 15 and had to bushwack to get back on. Overall a nice loop.

View Annie's Recording
Adam Bailey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2020
Hiking

Completion of the loop, On the last leg AllTrails read us off trail and at 15k feet for some reason and I forgot to turn off recording driving from Adams Gap to Turnipseed campground.

View Adam's Recording
Bonnie Neelley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020
Hiking

Loved trail. Waterfalls are beautiful.

Stephen Long
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

Great trail for an overnight trip. Slept in the shelter which is nice. Caught fish at Chinnabee Lake which made the trip exciting. Definitely recommend. Easy trail to follow.

garrison morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2020
Hiking

Such a great trail. One of my favorites in all of Cheaha. Highly recommend. Well maintained.

Parker Morgan
Hiking

One of the best trails in Cheaha. Be sure to go across the water at cheaha falls. Also, I would suggest driving down the side road to park by the trailhead because it cuts off around 1/2 mile.

Curtis Shew
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Make sure to go across the water and go the full length. If it’s been raining, you’ll get your feet wet but it’s not a big deal. Go towards the “stay on trail” sign on the other side of the water. Then the trail goes up.

Melissa P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2020
HikingRocky
View Melissa's Recording
Nova Biggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 30, 2020
Hiking

**03/30/20 Access point at Lake Chinnabee Recreation Area is closed due to the pandemic. Start instead at Turnipseed Campground access point on Alabama 281.** A wonderfully invigorating hike with great views and several picturesque stopping points. Easy to follow and mostly well maintained. My wearable device measured 8.2 miles round trip; I did explore the Recreation Area thoroughly and I’m sure this contributed somewhat.

View Nova's Recording