Cave Creek Trail from Cheaha Trailhead

Cave Creek Trail from Cheaha Trailhead is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lineville, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The Cheaha trailhead is a great starting point for many routes along the Pinhoti Trail. You can park a car here and do a day trip to many beautiful sites.

Good hike. Good camping spots. Great views.

Great day and a half hike. Lost of good camp spots.
Several scenic views.

Great trail, trail is very confusing at times. Didn't have any trail markings. Other than that enjoyed it

Magical to say the least! Hiked this trail in May and it was a wonderful adventure! There were plenty of elevation and landscape changes along the way always keeping it interesting! We saw a gorgeous endangered rattlesnake peacefully passing by! We also came upon an old plane crash sight! The view was incredible!

Great hike, has some challenging inclines. McDill trail is directly off this trail well worth the cut through for breath taking views and downed plane. Only thing I found very disappointing is the lack of marking on this trail with a hand full of very deceiving spots that could lead to hikers getting turn around.

I had a great time on the hike in. Started on the Eastern side of the trail, which was pretty smooth, met a few hikers along the way coming the opposite direction. Once I made the loop going on the Western side the trail became a lot harder for a 45 year old in the worst shape of his life. I had to make frequent stops but was determined to make McDill Point. I saw the plane wreckage and made it to McDill Point. I ate my lunch and continued on another mile and made my camp for the evening. The next morning I ate breakfast and hiked the last 2 miles out to complete the loop. For an out of shape 45 year old I would rate this trail on the hard side because of the Western side but I had a great time doing it.
I'm just learning how to use this ap so my hike is broken up into 4 sections, also some of the pictures I posted along the trail are in the wrong spot.

This trail/loop has something for everyone. There are small to mid size creeks, views to post on your social media, a small plane crash site to explore. The trail offers a wide range of hiking. There is the nice flat areas to the rockier (where did the trail go) places. Worth your time.

Beautiful view from Mcdill Point

This is my favorite hike in Alabama and I have hiked it at least a dozen times. The Pinhoti portion of the hike is very rocky and requires some climbing/ scrambling in a couple of places. The views on this section are some of the best in the state. Don't miss the plane crash on the side path to McDill Point. The Cave Creek Trail portion is mostly a forest path with a few stream crossings. There are many waterfalls in and around the Cheaha Wilderness but none on this trail.

West side of the loop is definitely more difficult. Lots of Rock and Hills, with no water source. Nice running stream on East side of loop and not as Hilly and Rocky

Nice trail- saw part of the plane wreckage. The west part of the loop is very rocky. I did not see any water fall? Only few streams on east side.

My friends and I really enjoyed this morning hike.

Cool hike; lots of good campsites. Not any water on the Pinhoti in this section. Awesome views on both sides. Going again as soon as we can.

Nice trail for an overnight trip. A small stream was about 2.5 miles into the Cave Creek Trail section from the Cheaha Trailhead.

McDill Point, located about 5 miles into the trip, has an awesome campsite tucked away into the mountain. It has a nice rock fire pit and the view is amazing.

Hiked from Cheaha trail head to Pinhoti and back to Cheaha trail head.
Great loop, would do that again!!
Did see a rattle snake on the trail.
Let him have the right away!!

Awesome loop. I was not in shape and this tested my mettle. Lots of good campsites and great views. Only one really good water source and it was about a mile and a half from the entrance on the Cave Creek Side. It was cold and raining and we camped on the leeward side of the Pinhoti. Trails were well blazed.

Great trail, must have recently been blazed. The markings were better than previous reviewers had reported. Went clockwise and took cave creek trail first.

great trail

Great 1 day hike! 7.3 miles. Beautiful views. Campsites along the way. We'll definitely be back to enjoy more of the trails in this area!

This was a great hike. Make sure to being plenty of water to drink and a few snacks if you plan on making the loop in one day. They're are several camping spots already made by previous campers along the trail. According to my fitbit the length was right around 7.3 miles. The only complaint that i have is that on some of the forks on the trail were not marked but for the most part it was obvious where to go. I plan on going back to hike a different trail and to camp. Me and the group i was with today had a blast and cant wait to go back.

Also if you lift you might wanna skip leg day if you plan on doing this the day after.