Caney Creek Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(236)
William B Bankhead National Forest

Caney Creek Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Double Springs, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 239 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

WARNING: This is an unofficial trail and there is no legal parking for this trail. Do not park on the paved county road at any time. The Winston County Sheriff is now towing all vehicles that park near the trailhead due to safety concerns. The area surrounding the trailhead and the beginning of the trail is private property.

closed
fee
private property

Don’t hike here. Go elsewhere in Bankhead, there are plenty of other beautiful clear water spots and waterfalls to be found. We got a $220 parking ticket and I was a lucky one. I made it back before the towing company got to my car. Most others got towed and took $500 to get their car back. Even if you’re in the small gravel lot, you will be towed. The water itself is not on private land but the trailhead to get to it is, and apparently the land owners are uptight and petty enough to call state troopers for harmless cars parked in the lot or on the grass on the side of the road. Every day. Do not bother with this trail or waterfall.

This trail is located on private property. Due to a combination of increased traffic from Covid-19 and the new adventure seekers on this app this trail is now hostile to hikers. Property owners have added additional gates since theirs was destroyed recently by hikers and have posted numerous no trespassing signs. They are prosecuting trespassers and towing all vehicles parked by the gate entrance. DO NOT USE THIS TRAIL. USE AT OWN RISK.

Was a beautiful waterfall but there’s no public parking. They say park at your own risk and that risk is being towed and it costing $500 to get your vehicle. The land owner doesn’t allow parking and you can’t park on the right away of the road. It basically boils down to what the mood of the land owner is as to whether he has you towed.

private property

Trail and waterfall are beautiful but our car was towed today. We were not parked on the side of the road and we were told that ALL parking at the entrance is trespassing. There is NO legal parking. State troopers, park rangers, and the sherriff were all there today towing all vehicles. There is a sign about parking 40 ft from the center of the road (center of the road is not marked anyway). But the way it was explained to us by the ranger, it is really not a public hiking site. So...skip this one. There are lots of other beautiful trails in AL that are happy to have hikers.

Me and my wife love these falls and have many good memories here. That’s why I beg you if you go to practice Leave No Trace. If you are not familiar with that just google it and it should pull it right up. If you pack in garbage of any kind pack it out. Don’t cut down ANY trees and don’t carve any!!! If there’s more than 4-5 cars parked there go somewhere else for the day! The poor land owners are dealing with people constantly parking up and down the road and on there property. Be respectful of there property and the land!

I recommend this pet friendly Trail to anyone including small children. It is a good descent but very steep when you get to the end. It was fun for me in my kids, and any Geo caches can find a couple of spots along the way.

This trail is NOT a legal trail. It crosses PRIVATE PROPERTY. You WILL BE TOWED and can be fined for TRESSPASSING. The falls is on Forestry land, but you need to find a way to access it through Bankhead NOT THIS TRAIL!!!

No scenery on the hike in, it is partially clear cut and then a decent size little pine thicket. The waterfall was cool and there was a nice little swimming hole. Be careful parking, the state troopers were writing parking tickets and towing vehicles for parking on state right-of-way.

Easy trail overall. Beautiful falls. As of today (4-28-20) they were saying they were going to tow people because no one is supposed to park there.

Parking is only issue. Only room for about 4-5 cars in the lot. If you park on the side of this small country road in the middle of nowhere they will tow your car or give you a ticket or both. I was fortunate enough to get to my car before it was towed but I received a $220 ticket for improper parking. Many other vehicles got towed that day. This was Saturday April 11, 2020. If you got a ticket or got towed please contact me at atholley29@yahoo.com or thru FB. We can ban together to stop this.

Beautiful hike! Kinda of steep but our girls were very young when we did this and they did great! Water fall was nice!

Got towed here today, along with about 20 other cars. Fantastic otherwise.

Beautiful Waterfall

Easy fun trail with great views

Nice easy hike to the falls. Once you get to the creek you can view the falls and overlook the creek. Beautiful view.

Easy walk and beautiful falls!

I always come back to this place, it’s really a beautiful waterfall and surroundings. The best view I think is from behind the falls, to get to the other side be prepared to cross the water or cross on the log. Perfect for kids since it’s not that long of a hike.

Been here a couple of times. Not a lot of parking space. Definitely worth the time. Beautiful falls.

I've been a few times over the years. Its only about 20 minutes from my house. Perfect little spot. My wife and I take our kids and its perfect for them. They was 5 and 7 last time we went last summer. Perfect little swimming hole awaits you. Beware of the cold. It will take your breath away. The hike along the logging road is meh but with young kids it makes it easy. Parking isn't great but doable. Worth seeing.

Brought my family this time. “This is awesome!” And, “we are definitely coming back this summer!” and “can I have my birthday party here?!” Sums up how incredible this place is. For a 4K video of the water fall and a 4K time warp video of the trail visit HikingAlabama.com

A rather meh walk along a logging road surrounded by dead felled trees ends at a breathtakingly beautiful spot. The falls area is definitely worth the hike. Signs say no parking on right of way. You can park 40ft from the center line in the road. There’s not a lot of space, but there is some. A 4K GoPro time warp video of the entire trail, and a 4K video of the falls at HikingAlabama.com

in regards to the above warning, where can you park to hike this trail?

Great hike. We were greeted by some dogs who led us down to the waterfall.

Went after a hard rain and the falls were really getting after it. although the water was a little high it was still very easy to move around the falls.

Trail was an easy hike. Children age 2-5 and 11 week old puppy were able to complete. However, it was overcrowded, and there was a bikini photo shoot in progress so you could not get to the waterfall. I give it a 3 star due to way to many people and the photo shoot not wanting to let people down to waterfall.