Learn more

Cane Creek Canyon Nature Preserve is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tuscumbia, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 8.2 mi Elevation gain 974 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Privately owned scenic natural area open to the public at no charge. A cooperative project with The Nature Conservancy of Alabama.

Parking is available

Cane Creek Canyon Nature Preserve 251 Loop Road Tuscumbia, AL 35674 (256) 381-6301

251 Loop Road Tuscumbia, AL 35674

Photos (529)
Recordings (152)
Completed (338)
Tracy Abney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 10 2020
Hiking

Great trail! I was so impressed with how well the trails were marked, the condition of the trails, and the restrooms along the way. We wandered around a good bit, did about 4.25 miles out and back, and maybe only covered 1/4 of the trail we could’ve explored. (We went down to the blue hole and took the steep option back up to the house.)

Aidan Daniel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 27 2020
Hiking

The nicest people I have ever met. The trail was SO BEAUTIFUL! Nice and clean little to no mud, lots of shade, and overall a great experience. I have got to say this was the best trail I have ever been on! I am definitely coming again!

Melissa Biffle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 18 2020
Hiking

I would recommend this trail for a day hike. Definitely a moderate trail, especially if you go down to view water fall from below-absolutely beautiful!!!

View Melissa's Recording
Deanna Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 14 2020
Hiking

Well worth the visit! Beautiful!

View Deanna's Recording
Shea McAllister
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 15 2020
Hiking

10/10. First off this place has the sweetest owners, when you get there you sign in and they we're right there on the porch to greet us! The trail is very well kept, clean porta toilets, and water stations located along the trail!! We hiked down to see the main waterfall which was steep and slippery so be careful. We made the full loop with all 3 littles in tow. There is a beautiful overlook of the mountains and a really cool shaped tree. Towards the end of the trail we took a right and ended up stumbling upon a double waterfall. Possibly seasonal, we had gotten a lot of rain previously. I have absolutely nothing negative to say and all 5 of us agreed it was the 'best day ever!'

View Shea's Recording
Joseph Fehrenbach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 09 2020
HikingPrivate property

A true gem. Please respect owner’ property and sign in.

View Joseph's Recording
Kendra Isbell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 05 2020
Hiking

We hike here often! It’s one of our favorite places to come to when the weather is nice. The waterfalls were really flowing today after all of the rain we’ve had!

View Kendra's Recording
Kristi McCord
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 15 2019
Hiking

Loved all the mushrooms and lichen along the paths. Had a great day. Beautiful, deeply wooded trail. Very well maintained. Kudos to the family that maintains this nature trail.

Patrick McCarty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 15 2019
Hiking

Fantastic group of trails for my wife and adult children. Made it to map point4 “Boulder field”, taking the steep and challenging on the way out and easier routes on the way back. 5 miles round trip in a couple of hours. Wanted to make it to the second waterfall, but not enough time this day. Great for all levels.

Ardra Morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 09 2019
Hiking

Wonderful trails. Due to lack of rain, waterfalls did not exist.

Mary Avila
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Oct 05 2019
HikingPrivate property

This trail was good and the lady super nice. There has been a drought so most creek beds and water fall was dried up. Hard to follow the All Trails and even the map she gave us at times but still a good hike. The end had the “Steep Trail to the Point” and it was fun and a challenge. Hope we come back when the water is flowing.

View Mary's Recording
Ed Settle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 19 2019
HikingPrivate propertyRocky

Today I hiked this park for the second time but taking the longer and more challenging route. As with other reviews, I found the reserve to be the best in northeast Alabama. The main trails are well maintained with the strategic placement of water and clean toliets. I love this place.

Deb Janosko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 14 2019

an absolute gem!

Kirk Hossley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 02 2019

One word Amazing!

Diana P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

easily the best marked trails I've been on. the couple managing it were extremely helpful when we signed in and they had water every quarter mile on the popular trails (as well as restroom huts along the trails!). will definitely be returning

Deb Janosko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 31 2019
Hiking

one of my favorite hikes in the area. The trails and features along them are spectacular. Mr. & Mrs. Lacefield are top notch! They take such good care of the preserve & all of the hikers who are fortunate enough to visit. Water crashes & privys are situated along the trail. Ya don't want to miss this place!

jay Gosain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 05 2019
Hiking

Very well organized , markers , drinking water , restrooms . Thanks to the family who developed this site and kudos to the smiling volunteers.

Tyler Zappa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 29 2019
Hiking

This hike was well shaded even late July! Insects were not a issue, and the trails were well marked! Te Blue Hole is a must see, wear chocos so you can comfortably swim!

Faye Fawcett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 25 2019

beautiful hike and well kept. easy as well for my 7 year old.

Terry Warren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 26 2019

the Jackson TTA group has hiked several times. it is great! and Faye & Jim Lacefield are awesome!

Christie G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 11 2019

One of my favorite hikes in this area, you can tell it's been really well taken care of, kind couple, easy to follow and the scenery is beautiful out there.

Dee Dolley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 23 2019

beautiful place

Matthew Stotler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 08 2019
Hiking

Love this place and beautiful scenery ❤️❤️❤️

Tina thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jan 07 2019

Amazing scenery, waterfalls, and people! if you love to climb there are a lot of opportunities!

Jon Knotts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Dec 17 2018
Hiking

I hiked this following a mixture of the app recording and the map given to me by the owners before I started out. The map, at first glance, looks difficult but relax it’s very good, plus you’re in a canyon so unless you start rock climbing you really can’t get lost. I hiked to Johnson Falls in Devils Hollow and ate lunch then went along “Bluffline” I think. Unfortunately, the recording on the app I followed bypassed a lot of neat features of this area, so I’ll be back when I have more time. Honestly, I’d recommend not fooling with the app for this trail, and simply take the map from sign in and go down and explore. Also, the owners were extremely nice and gracious people.

Paul Striedl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Nov 19 2018

This was a fantastic trail. Many waterfalls and beautiful places to see. The owners of the property were very accommodating and helpful. Their 2 dogs followed us for the entire 8 mile hike. They were so friendly and were a blast to have along. Would definitely recommend hiking this trail.

Brandy Rhoades
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 03 2018

This trail is AWESOME! Lots of different areas to see. Some trails were steep and difficult but that's what we loved. Beautiful place. The owners are so friendly accommodating. The trail does have bathrooms and water stations but it still makes you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. We will be going back.

Stu Shoemake
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 24 2018
Hiking

Did this trail with my 5 and 7 yr old. We had a great time. Nice waterfall and view from the overlook.

Ryan Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 08 2018
Hiking

Really great trails. Really nice scenery. The owners of the property really take good care of the place and work hard to give a great experience to everyone who comes. They don’t charge a dime and just want people to enjoy the outdoors.