Cane Creek Canyon Nature Preserve is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tuscumbia, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Privately owned scenic natural area open to the public at no charge. A cooperative project with The Nature Conservancy of Alabama.

This was a fantastic trail. Many waterfalls and beautiful places to see. The owners of the property were very accommodating and helpful. Their 2 dogs followed us for the entire 8 mile hike. They were so friendly and were a blast to have along. Would definitely recommend hiking this trail.

This trail is AWESOME! Lots of different areas to see. Some trails were steep and difficult but that's what we loved. Beautiful place. The owners are so friendly accommodating. The trail does have bathrooms and water stations but it still makes you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. We will be going back.

Did this trail with my 5 and 7 yr old. We had a great time. Nice waterfall and view from the overlook.

Really great trails. Really nice scenery. The owners of the property really take good care of the place and work hard to give a great experience to everyone who comes. They don’t charge a dime and just want people to enjoy the outdoors.

Beautiful hike. Well marked and fun trails. The owners were very nice and informative. There are a lot of different trail options so you can make it as long or as short as you want. I had our little guy with us so 1.5miles is all we did today. But that got us to the waterfall (just a small stream right now but really cool) and a great lookout point. We will definitely be back to cover more of the trail.

Excellent trail!!! The Lacefields do a fabulous job well marked and clean

Excellent trail

awesome trails, awesome scenery, and an overall awesome hike. Some parts are more challenging but what waits at the end of all of these trails is well worth it. Will be going back.

Is there water at the water fall this time of year? July?

Great trails. Well maintained and marked. Will definitely go back to do other trails.

Cane Creek is a privately owned but open to the public at no charge—a cooperative project with The Nature Conservancy of Alabama. It is an excellent option for a summer hike as the entire trail is shaded and the owners have provided water at several locations along the trail. Resourceful caretakers are Jim and Faye Lacefield (jalacefield@gmail.com). Rock shelters along the canyon walls have produced some of the earliest Carbon-14 dates for human occupation in AL. Alltrails.com ranks Cane Creek the fifth best trail in the state. I would move it to the top of the list for its scenic beauty, accessibility, clear directional signs, strategically placed ‘restrooms’ (a/k/a, outhouses, but they beat crouching in the weeds), excellent map (on loan at the trailhead), and fascinating written commentary.

Fabulous experience! Trails for the beginner to the more advanced. Lovely views, well thought out trails and dog friendly to boot

Drove 7 hours from Florida to do this trail and all I can say I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was well worth the drive. The family that maintains the trail are incredibly friendly and helpful. upon arrival there is a Gazebo at the edge of the parking area. Inside will be someone to sign you in and give you your map. This map is pretty informative and well laid out. FYI for anyone who open carries or conceals carry there is a no weapon policy for this trail. They also have a no kill policy for snakes. The trail itself is amazing!!! I cannot stress how well this trail is maintained and Groomed. Benches , tables , bathrooms and covered areas for foul weather are placed all along the trail for convenience and comfort. There are also water coolers set up throughout the trail system so minimum water is needed. Junction points along trail are clearly marked and coincide with markers on the map. The only thing I think of to watch for was the amount of poison Ivy I saw off trail, so if doingthis with children keep them on the trails lol! The Scenery is amazing , good waterfalls, clear streams , lots of elevation changes! This trail gets a 9/10 for me.

This was an okay hike. Very charming people, but no spectacular views or challenging terrain. There are a lot of small bugs that fly around your face despite ample bug spray (all hiking has bugs, but this trail has so many more irksome bugs than usual that it needed to be mentioned). Nice trails and very safe and homey feeling. Someone on the trail mentioned that they saw a lot of snakes but I saw none. Also- there is a "waterfall" but it was a trickle when I went by.

Absolutely one of our favorite trails! The place was very well maintained and the family at the house were very helpful. The trails are clean and visible, marked, water coolers and restrooms along the way and the scenery is beautiful. Definitely going back and maybe camp and spend the weekend there.

The Lacefields are some amazing folks and so is the land they’ve so fantastically preserved! Unfortunately they are now open only Friday-Sunday it seems. Water Coolers on the trail often so don’t sweat bringing gallons, relatively easy, great waterfalls (the first falls are the best but don’t stop there!) I’ve hiked it 4 times and don’t think I’ve seen everything.

Great place to visit. The Point is beautiful . Love the Falls and creek. Be sure to get off on the side trails

One of the best trails I’ve hiked. Privately owned property that is better well kept than most parks that I’ve visited. The owner is very helpful and talked us through the best trails to take on the property. You have to sign the log when you get there and sign out when you leave. The trail is wide and very well marked. Will definitely go back again. The falls were gorgeous!

Fantastic property! Lots to see! Lots to do for my 8 year old! We hiked around for about 4 miles or 5 miles. The owners are very sweet & helpful! You receive a map after you sign in. The property is well marked. Lots of restrooms throughout the property! It has rained so it was a little muddy. But hey! That’s the beauty of it! Picnic areas with fresh drinking water available!

Great day hike. Waterfalls are awesome after a rain

Not a bad hike. Plenty of trails and a few water falls. Good views and wonderful owners of the land.

Great place to hike. The waterfalls are awesome after a rain

awesome!

One of my favorite hikes!

I have been here several times and I love this trail!! ☺

Monday, December 04, 2017

Beautiful Preserve. Well maintained. Great trail markers and maps provided. I could spend days out here! The owners take great pride in their Nature Preserve. Thank you Lacefield Family for sharing this gem with us!

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Took my dog last week and we loved it. The owners are so nice and they give you a map and a walking stick. We took the short hike and the views are awesome. At the end of our hike, my dog got to swim in their pond (he also played in the creeks along the hike).

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

My family and i went for a hiking yesterday at this park. its off the beaten path and the dirt road was a little rough going in. There is a beautiful spanish style house with a little building in front of it. We went to the building and a really nice man (owner) was there to meet me. He gives you a map and ask you what you would like to do and recommends what is best. He was very sweet. He will assign you a map (you replace it at the end of the hike). There are bathrooms and pinic areas with coolers of water (not cold water). These are at about 3/4 mile to 1 mile internvals. If you want to see a quick waterfall there is one less that a 1/3 of a mile and u can walk back. If you dont want alot of up and down that is what a suggest. Now if you go past the 1st waterfall, be prepared for alot of up and down. We went pass the 2nd falls that u can get under (way cool) and down into the canyon. we had a quick bite and some gatorade (make sure to rest before going back up). the last mile is almost all up hill..... my hip is still hurting today because of it - fair warning. It is rated moderate for this one reason. The whole thing was very beautiful and worth the hurting hip today. I do wish the map and the marks would coenside. you will be looking at several markers but dont know where ur at on the map. Caused 6 adults quiet a few arguments as to where we were. I still didnt know... If u can handle a good 3 or 4 mile hike with at least a mile of it up, up hill. This place is worth while.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017