Black Creek Trail

Black Creek Trail is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near Gadsden, Alabama that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My dog and I had a good time. It's been raining so the current was really strong. We had to go to the end of the trail to find a safe place for him to swim.

This is a great trail option for something close to the city. The trail itself is more like a gravel drive and is very developed. The entry point I came in on the trail was actually at about the 1.7 mile marker so I didn't really make a loop. And it looks like the loop goes through part of the town. Where the water fall is you can see main streets and restaurants so you're not hiking "back into the woods". There is a nice park area for families and picnics and also rv parking etc. if you stay on the trail it's more of a walk. And is definitely an easy walk and not really hiking. It was disappointing at first. I consider Amicalola Falls, GA to be moderate. This is easy to me - just for a reference point. Now- if you want to do some hiking and climb up and down rocks and pathways and actually see the river and the waterfall at the bottom you have to go "off trail" to get to another trail. We went down a trail that has a wooden post by it (shown in the pics) and it takes you down the left canyon edge (as you're facing the waterfall) to get to the waterfall. This is what made the trip worthwhile to us. It has a good "basin" at the bottom of the waterfall where you can hike back behind the falls and enjoy the mist and breeze. If you go to hike - go off trail. If you go to walk stay on the path. Also check out their app for their trail system. We didn't have it - but When we went they were taking down markers for what they call the barbarian challenge - which is an alternative route with obstacles and a race they have. We used part of this challenge course to get off the main path and enjoy more underdeveloped scenery and it overlaps with some of the main trail- it might help make the trip more adventurous for those who like to do more hiking.

Little strenuous on the hike to the bottom but worth it when you get to the back side of the falls

Great short trail with a slight incline.

Amazing local trail

trail is in great shape in wooded area, not a fan of the last mile so I turned around and backtracked 2.0 miles

Monday, August 22, 2016