Learn more

Alum Hollow Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Alabama that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 213 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

New trail in the Green Mountain Nature Preserve ministered by the Land Trust of North Alabama.

great!

Nice, easy hike on a well-marked and well-manicured trail that is very suitable for families, children, and beginners. The reward is a decent waterfall at the end, as well as some cave-like areas. You will hike out the same way you came in, and if you want to try something more challenging, you have other trails such as Ranger and Talus that connect to this trail.

The parking lot is awful. Not a lot of spaces and you have to reverse all the way back up it if there’s not a parking spot because there’s no room to turn around. This was an easy trail! There is a waterfall at the end, but I would go after it rains. Went this past weekend and the waterfall was barely a trickle. I imagine it would be beautiful if it had been fully flowing! Took around an hour and a half for the whole hike (Alum Hollow) but there are plenty of other connecting trails around if you wanted to do more!

I enjoyed this one. Although was looking forward to a bigger waterfall. It wasn’t to bad at all. I don’t think it is kid friendly. It is definitely not stroller friendly. I had a good time though. My friends her 2 year old son and I walked it and it was good. We were happy for the benches so he could sit and rest. -on to the next.

We hiked this trail in the morning. It was perfect for the kids to hike. Up until the falls, there isn't much elevation change, but there are a lot of roots to watch for. Once you get to the falls, there is a small, rocky drop. There are several creek crossings, but one has two large rocks to cross, and the other has a bridge. It's not extremely exciting, but it's a good out-and-back hike for the family.

We did this trail yesterday in the evening. Very easy, mostly flat (with exception of creek crossing but it has a bridge) and shaded. The final views of waterfall and cave are amazing. We returned via East Plateau trail, but it’s not really exciting.

Wonderful trail. Easy and excellent natural experience. Great family experience.

This was a good hike. Well marked with some nice little streams for the kids to dip their feet in. The part going to the falls is steep and rocky but doable. My husband and I are fluffy people but we did the hike with some stopping bc we are out of shape. But it was a good work out for us and we enjoyed it. There are a few benches within the trail which we appreciated.

It was a good first hike as residents of the area.

Well marked and maintained trail. Easy except for the last little bit to the falls was steep but even that wasn't too bad. Cave nearby the falls which was cool. Beautiful area. The entire trail was mostly shaded. Parking lot was full so we parked off the main road.

Pretty easy trail. The very last bit is decently steep; however, we all made it down no problem. Pretty falls and pretty scenes at the bottom. Also checked out a neat cave very close to the falls. The trail was very well marked. Parking was crowded and we parked just off the main road.

Nice there-and-back-in-an-hour hike to a waterfall and cave. The final descent down to the falls is a bit steep, so be sure to wear some good hiking shoes!

Amazing trail with awesome views! Multiple waterfalls and not difficult at all. I accidentally got off trail at one point but it was easy to find my way back. I will definitely be back!!!

Very nice trail. This one is kid friendly too. This one leads to other trails that are more difficult. Beautiful area!!

mine and my girlfriends first hike, we really enjoyed it. Nice terrain, perfect amount of ups and downs. Nice waterfall and waterways at the end!

Nice easy hike. Lots of people, kids and dogs on the trail. Have had plenty of rain so waterfalls/creeks are running.

Nice walking trail. 3mo old husky loved it. 8yr T1D loved it. Lovely waterfall view at the end. one bridge to cross over water is a rock, we went through after recent heavy rains (for nearly 2wks), and the rock bridge had water running over it so was a watch your step moment. But overall satisfaction high on all accounts.

not lightly trafficked at all.

Great waterfall

Great trail. VERY well marked and well kept. It was an easy hike, had some nice little views and a great payoff with a cool little waterfall and a cliff/cave overhang rock. Very fun hike for a morning or afternoon.

The Alum Hollow Trail was easy, the Ranger Trail was Very Rocky but pretty, then we decided to do the three sisters trail loop but 1/2 way through it there was another trail (Talus Connecter) we were told it was about 2 miles back to parking that way, so we took that trail, when we got to the Talus trail we should have went left but we lost the trail markers and went the wrong way following a trail with markers in the trees, which we later decided was Land trust property boundary markers - Thanks to this App we could see that we were close to where were earlier & by climbing a steep hill we got back on the Ranger Trail and back tracked out before dark!! I was a little worried!!

My dog and I loved it!

Our map

Very enjoyable trail. Well marked. Starts out level and smooth but there’s a little elevation change as the trail progresses. There are a few rocks and small stumps under a bed of new leaves (we hiked just after the fall peak) so watch your step. We turned around just short of the descent at the end of the trail, so I can’t comment on that part. There are a couple of small stream crossings, but there’s a bridge across one and a flat rock across the other. It’s a dog & kid friendly trail.

Nice little hike with a group of kids.

I just hiked this trail on Sunday. It’s a very pretty, clean, well-marked hike. The leaves are starting to get some color and the river and the falls had some water in it from the recent rains! My 4-month old lab puppy loved it!

recorded Alum Hollow Trail

Nice and clean trail. My toddler walked half way and rode in a Velotec stroller/trailer for the rest of the way. The trail is a bit rocky towards the end. We will be back!

Youth camp near Tennessee River up Alum Cave Trail to Land Trust of North Alabama parking lot and trailhead.

Nice trail with neat "cave" at the end. Heavily trafficked today. There has been such little rain in the last three months so no waterfall.