Alum Hollow Trail

Alum Hollow Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Burrows, Alabama that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

New trail in the Green Mountain Nature Preserve ministered by the Land Trust of North Alabama.

Went after a good rain and the waterfall was gorgeous.

Great trail! The trails are clear and very well marked; easy to follow. I went the day after a good thunderstorm, so the waterfall was flowing pretty good! There are benches along the way to rest if you need to and the trail is mostly flat with great options to go off trail as well.
I did this hike with a 6 month old pup and 9 month old pup. We crossed the stream three times, so they got to cool off the whole way. The trail is shaded the whole way and was very nice in the high 80's.
This trail was actually one of my top favorite trails. It's beautiful, easy (with moderate or hard options) and just breathtaking! I recommend for anyone!
AND PLEASE..... IF YOU HAVE DOGS, TAKE POOP BAGS AND PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG.

New hike on Green Mountain past the Madison County Nature Trail. The hike is relatively easy for the most part until you get to the waterfall which is very steep but a must see! The trail goes along the edge of the mountain with gorgeous views. Then the waterfall at the end is fantastic, especially after a good rain or iced over in the winter.

Pretty trail and easy enough that my 3.5 year old was able to make it. Great family hike!

As a resident bordering the hollow for 60+ years may I offer a comment and a bit of friendly advice?
Many seem disappointed with the streams and waterfall. The water is seasonal. Don't come in a July drought and expect to see Point Mallard. Natural water is scarce on the mountain. Settlers including my grandfather dug cisterns to collect the precious commodity.
The woods are home to numerous poisonous snakes. While most of them do not relish your visit and will avoid you there can be times when you will surprise them as they lounge - usually near the creek. So as the trail beckons you on a warm day enjoy your walk but remember you are not alone.
Oh yes, for any hike you will learn what poison ivy looks like.

Great trail! marked pretty much all the way through! Waterfall at the end!

Great for kids and pets not too long

nice short trail. little waterfall and wind caves at the end. there are clearly other trails in development.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

nice. most of it would be great for running!

Thursday, July 27, 2017

A good hike. Trails are nice and well-kept. Went with an 8-year-old and 10-year-old and they did very well. The cave area was pretty cool. No waterfall, though, which was a let-down after seeing the pics. Barely a trickle. But overall it was a good afternoon hike. We were in and out in a couple of hours.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Good cardio for the day! Nice trail. Go past the waterfall to see the overhangs! I will be back

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

New Land Trust Trail near the Nature Trail. This is a nice, short trail that ends at a small couple waterfalls. Great for a quick hike in the afternoon.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Nice out of the way trail, Not what I expected, but a nice hidden little Gym. There's a nice little Waterfall and a Overhang, Somewhat like a cave where People camp, it's right off the main trail, if your not looking for it you will miss it, Just listen for the water and it will guide you to it, If you stop hearing water you've passed it, Good Hiking.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Easy hike,caves are closed though

Thursday, April 27, 2017

We really loved this trail! I took my 6 year old daughter. She was tired by the end but she wants to go again! We are beginners so there was a couple of spots that was tough but, overall it was a great trail!

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

This is such a great afternoon activity for all ages. The trail isn't too strenuous but it requires more effort than what I would consider just a walking trail. The creeks that run through here are beautiful as is the waterfall! I suggest bringing a hammock if you have one because there are several hammock worthy areas along the trail!

Friday, February 24, 2017

It was an easy hike it took about an hour, and led to a beautiful waterfall. Would be perfect for families with children.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Cool hike, several streams and small waterfall

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Hiked this trail with our 10 year old Grandson today. Along the trail we noticed the entry and exit points for the East and West Plateau Loops. After doing the loopback to Alum cave we crossed the stream to see a small waterfall. Upon return we turned left onto the East Plateau Loop. Once back at the Alum Trail we headed back to the beginning bypassing the West Plateau Loop. Neither of these Loops are marked on the map at the trailhead.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Great trail!! Beautiful views of mountains & waterfall. Hike is listed as Easy but I'd say once you get close to falls..it's a bit steep. I'd say it was more of an easy hike in beginning & moderate as you near the falls. Well worth it to see the waterfall & cave. Would definitely hike this again!!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Great trail, vary nice waterfall. Well marked and maintained. I'll have to go back in the spring, I bet its gorgeous.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

New trail in the Green Mountain Nature Preserve under management of the Land Trust of North Alabama (http://www.landtrustnal.org/nature-preserves) Nice gentle ups and downs, however, there is one short steep part at the trail's end just before Alum Hollow Cave. Total trail was about 2.3 miles out and back and took me and the hubby about 1.5 hours to complete. Only met a couple of people on the way back to the parking lot, so not crowded at all! Really nice day trip for us!