Bordeaux Mountain Trail

Bordeaux Mountain Trail is a 3.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Reef Bay, Saint John, US Virgin Islands that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.2 km
391 m

beach

The trail is awesome! It cuts through the side of Bordeaux Mountain and is supported by rocks the whole way. There are three picturesque spots of Great Lameshur Bay and beyond. Much of the trail is in the woods but it is not shady during mid day. The hike back up the mountain is very strenuous. It goes from sea level to 1200 feet in about one mile. At the top of the mountain you are basically at a road, but this hike is great for exercise and the trail down is super easy and fun. Once you reach the bottom, you can make a right and continue on to Little Lameshur Bay where there is great snorkeling. You can also continue the trail out to Yawzi Point, an easy extension of the trail with great views of both Lameshur Bays. It is well marked. Or bring your snorkel gear and snorkel at Little Lameshur, the beach is secluded and quiet. There’s a changing station. The ruins at the beach are picturesque too.

I’m going to write a more detailed review that usual since this is not a well traveled trail. The trail is awesome! It cuts through the side of Bordeaux Mountain and is supported by rocks the whole way. There are three picturesque spots of Great Lameshur Bay and beyond. Much of the trail is in the woods but it is not shady during mid day.

It is important to note that we started the trail at the top of Bordeaux Mtn. Not sure where you’d park up there unless you are renting a house like we did. The trail down is super easy and fun. Once you reach the bottom, you can continue on to Little Lameshur Bay where there is great snorkeling. You can also continue the trail out to Yawzi Point, an easy extension of the trail with great views of both Lameshur Bays. It is well marked. We brought our snorkel gear and snorkeled at Little Lameshur. Saw squid and lots of different kinds of fish. The beach is secluded and quiet. There’s a changing station. You can also connect to Reef Bay Trail if you are looking for a longer hike. But Reef Bay doesn’t have great snorkeling. This hike one way including Yawzi was a little less than 2 miles. Spectacular. The ruins at the beach are picturesque too.

Now the hike back up the mountain is another story. Very strenuous. It goes from sea level to 1200 feet in about one mile. My kids (14 and 17 and very athletic) and I had a great experience. Great exercise. My husband on the other hand said these things at various points along the way, “That guy nailed it with three stars. This sucks. I’m out of shape. I think I’m going to throw up. I’m out of water.” We all had packed 2-3 liters of water each. We shared with my hubbie and ended up drinking it all. There is no fresh water at the beach.

My son practically ran up the mountain. It took the rest of us 45 minutes to get to the top because my daughter and I rested with my husband. Our rule: don't hike or snorkel alone.

If you start this hike from the beach you may be disappointed because you basically end at a road with a stranded boat as the trail marker. If you turn right out of the trail and hike another .5 miles past some local housing you will reach the highest point on Bordeaux Mountain. It is a private residence but I think if you go down the hill towards Coral Bay you can catch some views of the whole strand of Eastern Virgin Islands.

Starting this trail from the top of the mountain is fun because you have a destination: snorkeling, swimming, exploring the ruins, and eating lunch at the beach at the bottom.This trail is not on some maps. It is on the St. John Eco Map.

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Basically a continuous up or down 1100 foot 1.2 mile trail to Lameshur Bay. Rocky slightly overgrown with few view spots. Good for exercise but not very scenic.

recorded Leinster Bay Trail