Tryfan via North Ridge

Tryfan via North Ridge is a 4.0 kilometer loop trail located near Betws-Y-Coed, Wales, United Kingdom that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

4 km
469 m

Circular walk from car parks at Llyn Ogwen up the North ridge and returning via Llyn Bochlwyn to car park.

I’ve climbed Tryfan’s North Ridge several times and it’s one of my favourite routes anywhere. It’s a scramble up a mountain rather than a walk and compared to other AllTrails walks I’ve done graded as ‘moderate’ it’s well at the top of that description. The rapid ascent will give you a workout and the views are fantastic on a clear day. Route finding- although you’re heading for the summit so, in principle, just keep going up, there are many ways to the top and you need to watch out for parts that are quite exposed or gullies that end in unclimbable rock walls. I usually go for maximum scrambling and there are plenty of challenges that for me are on the verge of needing a rope. In inclement weather the rock can be much more slippery.