Ben Nevis Mountain Path

Ben Nevis Mountain Path is a 17.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glen Nevis, Scotland, United Kingdom that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and backpacking.

17.2 km
1420 m

fucksake bring a jumper and waterproof! I found some one half frozen in the cloud line soaking because they thought "it wouldn't be this bad". weather changes quick up in mountains so be prepared. apart from that tool it was a great day hike, don't rush, take your time to enjoy the view. and its a loch!!!

Truly breathtaking views. The hike begins in in sheep grazing pasture, with small clusters of trees here and there. The well-marked trail winds up past many small waterfalls. Before long, the pastures and trees give way to vast grassy mountainside. Around the halfway point, you'll hike past a picturesque mountain lake. The grass will become more sporadic and, as you approach the top, it will disappear entirely. During the last and most difficult stretch, you will past by a series of about 10 trailside cairns. I suspect the tall stacked stone structures are there to guide hikers in dense fog, provide some relief from wind and rain for those who stop to tie a shoe or retrieve something from a backpack, and mark the now completely rubble trail that has become practically indistinguishable from the rest of the surroundings. The trail will continue to become rockier and rockier, and by time you reach the very top, you'll be carefully stepping from one football-sized loose stone to another.

I experienced nearly every type of weather during my hike. Gorgeous sunshine, dense fog, howling wind, and biting rain. I began in a teeshirt, and layered up as I approached the top and temperatures dropped to the low 40s F. The rain began on me in earnest once I reached the top, and the fog was so thick I could see nothing beyond 50 feet.

The trail was busy and I was seldom out of sight of another hiker. It wasn't uncomfortable, but the volume of traffic and the crowd at the peak kept me from giving this five stars.

My climb up took 2h30m, and I was going faster than most. The descent took about 1h45. If you'd like to take breaks and linger, budget six hours for the whole trip.

Great early morning activity! Meet others on their way up when you are already made the summit! Only the top last k is not so nice to walk.
Live the outdoors!