Ben Nevis Mountain Path

Ben Nevis Mountain Path is a 17.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glen Nevis, Scotland, United Kingdom that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and backpacking.

17.2 km
1,349 m

Amazing but necessary to be prepared for any weather.

really good day out with a pal

A great hike but difficult in the snow. I have climbed Nevis twice in April and on both occasions the snow was deep and treacherous from about half way up. The views are beautiful on the way up but zero visibility at the top when I was there. Be prepared to experience all weather conditions in one day.

Amazing experience and feeling to complete the highest peak in the Uk.
Weather went a bit mad which made it more difficult but would highly recommend

great hike I love this mountain beautiful is summer and winter but in the winter you need to follow you bearings as that snow under your feet may not have a mountain under it

great hike

I enjoyed it but it was a long meandering seemingly never ending trek to the summit, many a time doing the last third we thought the top was round the corner to find out it wasn’t. Next time I’d like to try the more challenging route

We had to push back our summit hike due to rain and no visibility. Luckily, the weather cleared the following day and we were able to summit. Bring layers in case of rain and cold weather especially at higher elevations. Visibility can be an issue towards the summit but the trail is very well marked with large cairns. Water proof boots or shoes are a must unless you don't mind cold, wet feet! Go early as there were HUGE crowds of people headed up the trail as we were making our way down. We started our hike around 8 am and the trail head parking was empty. Stop at the Ben Nevis Inn for some well deserved food and a pint if you are so inclined. I do not typically drink, but when in Rome! Great burger and chips (fries)!!

Very clear trail- we lucked out with perfect sunny weather and 20degrees- does not happen often according to our guide! Great way to spend the day.

A pretty tedious way to get up the UKs highest peak. The trail gets you there but is hard to follow at the top. In bad weather the top is very difficult to navigate - you need to know what you’re doing.

This was a fantastic hike!! It starts out quite crowded and relatively easy with switch-backs. The crowd drowns out as the hike continues because it gets progressively harder and more challenging. You'll pass a beautiful and peaceful alpine lake about a third of the way through. From there on it's nearly all scrambling til the top, with snow for the last bit so come prepared!! Wear solid shoes, bring lots of water, and start out early because weather can get bad quickly as the day goes on. Side note: in the time period that I was hiking, there were two helicopter rescues for people that were being dumb and careless- climbing where they shouldn't have and being stupid. Don't be dumb and careless and stupid. :)

Great views with awesome weather! Keep a lookout for false summits and continue the hike till you have a solid 360 view! Cheers!

Absolutely amazing. We were lucky and had cloud coverage on the way up that cleared on the return trip. The feeling of walking up into the clouds and then emerging to the breath taking and endless vista was enchanting. I have knee problems (patellar femoral tracking issues and patellar instability) so the decrnt was the hardest part and took much longer than the ascent.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

By far the greatest hike of my life! The campsite has everything you need. Bathrooms, showers, snack bar, a shop to get camping and hiking gear and a really good restaurant. Nothing but good vibes and energy from this place! I loved every bit of it and I can't wait to go back and do it again!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Did this climb a long time ago. Beautiful Scottish highland scenery.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Breath taking views, walking on the stone path does wear on the knees after a while. Can be quite chilly at top, was 20C at the base and was snow at the top

Friday, August 04, 2017

fucksake bring a jumper and waterproof! I found some one half frozen in the cloud line soaking because they thought "it wouldn't be this bad". weather changes quick up in mountains so be prepared. apart from that tool it was a great day hike, don't rush, take your time to enjoy the view. and its a loch!!!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Truly breathtaking views. The hike begins in in sheep grazing pasture, with small clusters of trees here and there. The well-marked trail winds up past many small waterfalls. Before long, the pastures and trees give way to vast grassy mountainside. Around the halfway point, you'll hike past a picturesque mountain lake. The grass will become more sporadic and, as you approach the top, it will disappear entirely. During the last and most difficult stretch, you will past by a series of about 10 trailside cairns. I suspect the tall stacked stone structures are there to guide hikers in dense fog, provide some relief from wind and rain for those who stop to tie a shoe or retrieve something from a backpack, and mark the now completely rubble trail that has become practically indistinguishable from the rest of the surroundings. The trail will continue to become rockier and rockier, and by time you reach the very top, you'll be carefully stepping from one football-sized loose stone to another.

I experienced nearly every type of weather during my hike. Gorgeous sunshine, dense fog, howling wind, and biting rain. I began in a teeshirt, and layered up as I approached the top and temperatures dropped to the low 40s F. The rain began on me in earnest once I reached the top, and the fog was so thick I could see nothing beyond 50 feet.

The trail was busy and I was seldom out of sight of another hiker. It wasn't uncomfortable, but the volume of traffic and the crowd at the peak kept me from giving this five stars.

My climb up took 2h30m, and I was going faster than most. The descent took about 1h45. If you'd like to take breaks and linger, budget six hours for the whole trip.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Great early morning activity! Meet others on their way up when you are already made the summit! Only the top last k is not so nice to walk.
Live the outdoors!