Otford Walking Tour

Otford Walking Tour is a 8.9 kilometer loop trail located near Otford, England, United Kingdom that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

8.9 km
297 m

This walk begins in Otford where you can catch a glimpse of the largest scale model in the world - the Otford Solar System. After a steep climb up onto the North Downs you are rewarded with some fantastic views of the surrounding countryside. Descending back to Otford along part of the North Downs Way you also pass by Otford Pond interestingly designated as a listed building! Please note that the route has a short on-road section and steep climbs may not be suitable for all.

An earlier comment lamented at how this trail is incorrectly classified as a moderate difficulty trail, and how it was too difficult for kids and for adults who aren't properly fit. More than 3 hours of walking later, I agree and disagree.

When I started out, I looked at the less than 300m elevation and quietly sniggered at our lamenting friend - 270m over 8.9km is usually child's play.
Having walked up and down from the 3rd floor of my Victorian flat in London to pick up deliveroo several times a day, I was convinced this would be a walk in the park.

And as I walked from Otford to the starting point by a serene afternoon cricket game and a slightly smelly stable, the ground was as flat as some folks think the world is and life looked good.

But the 270m elevation happend all at once, after you're past the first straight. At one point it was so steep that steps were built in. I dragged myself up the slope, each step making me wince while also watched grey-haired veterans make an easy job of it.

The view, however, is worth it - gentle rolling hills follow, walking through farms and meadows which are a riot of flowers in spring (I visited in June). There are woods too, and lovely, dark and deep - on a sunny day, the contrasts between the open and closed sections of the trail are immensely enjoyable.

Having born and raised in India where to be alone is a luxury, it was also a pleasant surprise to find strangers friendly and keen to stop for a chat - back home, we'd do our best to pretend the other didn't exist.

Is this an easy trail for a 110kg 6 foot man who is 31 years old? No, but the juice was worth the squeeze.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great walk for fit and healthy adults, but some of the steepest gradients in the South of England mean it is NOT easy or kid friendly.

Sunday, April 30, 2017