Huay Tung Tao Circular Hike is a 6.9 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mae Rim, Chiang Mai, Thailand that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

6.9 km
502 m

The starting point of this hike is near the Golden Buddha image on the west side of the Huay Tung Tao reservoir. Geo-coordinates (in decimal degrees) for the starting point are: Latitude: 18.865489° Longitude: 98.938103° From the north-west corner of the Old City take Huai Kaeo Road (Road 1004) until after 2.2 km you reach the irrigation canal. Turn right and follow the canal road (Road 121) for about 6.7 km. Turn left (Huay Tung Tao is indicated). Follow this road (about 2 km) and pay 20 Baht entrance fee. At the T-junction turn left. Follow this road along the lake for about 1.2 km and park near the Golden Buddha. Total distance from the north-west corner of the old city to the Golden Buddha at Huay Tung Tao is about 12 km.

If you are looking for a genuine jungle adventure this trail is for you! I did this hike on 9/23/2018. I would rate this trail as HARD not moderate. Much of it was unmarked and very overgrown. It gets very steep in some areas and at times the trail is basically non-existent. I would NOT recommend for families or pets. However, if you are looking for a bit of a thrill, making your way through this wild terrain is worth it. You will see many different ecosystems from lush jungle, to evergreen forest, to a type of grassland. The hike features many different forms of wildlife and waterfalls. Be prepared to knock down some spider webs as they had spanned the trail which had clearly not been traveled in some time. The AllTrails map is extremely accurate. I would not have made it without it! I would recommend going Pro and having the map on hand for this trail. A GPS or compass would be helpful too. Make sure to bring a fully charged phone, plenty of water and snacks! I completed the trail, and overcame some fear in that jungle! It took about 4-5 hours to complete the hike through the jungle, up the mountain, and then descend down into the grassland area by the helipad. I am rating this 3 stars because it is not accurately portrayed on here and I want people to be aware that it is a difficult trail physically and mentally! It starts out easy but becomes very difficult and hard to navigate. It is not well traveled... I never saw another soul so be prepared to know you are completely alone out in this wilderness! It was an adventure of a lifetime, I am glad I did it but I don't think I will be setting off into the mountainous jungles anytime soon.

So, much of this trail doesn’t exist or is very difficult to find. I did this with my boyfriend this past May. We could have used a machete as MUCH of it was overgrown. The fork after the helipad doesn’t seem to exist, so ended up taking the longer trail down to the road and ordering a grab cab from the street. Saw a spider the size of a hand (walked through the riverbed to get around it, though learned later they are harmless). Waterfall and helipad are cool but this trail took us 4-5 hours simply because of how lost we would get and how much brush we had to climb through. Map is otherwise accurate up to the fork after the helipad. If you are the adventurous type and bring a machete, you’ll love this. Bring water and get ready to sweat and see some bugs.

Aug 2018. We were unsuccessful in going on this track. There is a sign at the beginning of the trail that indicates only authorised people should go on the track. Then when we asked the lady at the Golden Buddha about the track, she told us there was no track. We started up it to have a bit of a look then one of the children brushed up against a fuzzy caterpillar and amidst yells of pain, that was the end of the walk.

I did much longer, 10 km more. You can many paths . some of them disappear, so you need to use GPS constantly. make more interesting