Mount Kilimanjaro: Lemosho Traverse

Mount Kilimanjaro: Lemosho Traverse is a 65.7 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kibosho Magharibi, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 65.7 km Elevation Gain: 5,108 m Route Type: Point to Point

Some 70-80% of the 35,000 treks up Kilimanjaro make the summit, mostly those who take the longer, slower routes. This specific trek begins on the lower slopes in tropical rainforests, passes through moorlands and scrub to reach an arctic desert at the summit. Kilimanjaro is 99% hiking with the balance being scrambling up or down rock, so no special skills required. It is remarkable to realize how thin the layer of the atmosphere that supports life is. The mountain top that is clearly visible from the verdant farms and busy towns around its base does not support any life - nothing lives there, it is a landscape of rocks, sand and ice - but it is so close.

Hiked this trail with a fantastic REI tour. Fantastic team, near perfect conditions. We all made the summit by going pole pole (slowly) and enjoyed the journey so much. Rashid and his team are the best guides and support team. Barranco wall was fun. Summit night was very special.

This is a superior hiking trail. We did 7 days hiking and enjoyed the beautiful views, dynamic changes in geography zones and physical challenge. Needless to say the summit day was tough due to low oxygen, strong wind and coldness. But it was absolutely worth every effort to be finally standing on the top of Africa. The pain is temporary, the achievement is forever! However, you have to be watchful for the mountain sickness. It can be life threatening. It has nothing to do with individual’s fitness and toughness. Be mindful!

The Lemosho route. This is a wonderful hiking experience with some of the most breathtaking views i’ve ever seen. It was an eight day hike. This was an endeavor that requires both mental and physical stamina. It is not very technical mostly uphill hiking with minimal rock climbing. Trek through the various climate zones from rain forrest to alpine dessert. Best experience ever! Bring good hiking boots!

I completed this journey in early 2018. I have a video on YouTube that you can watch which should give you an idea of the journey. I do recommend this trail because of a higher success rate and easier climatization. https://youtu.be/u4Y-uqbC2dU

Challenging but very scenic trail with diverse segments including jungle and alpine desert zones. Summit day was by far the hardest, with over 4000 ft elevation gain in about 3 miles, starting at over 15,000 ft. Trail conditions range from deep gravel to rocky to muddy, most at relatively steep angles. Magnificent sunsets above the clouds!

Heading there from California tonight. Bringing micro spikes for summit night!

Life changing trip. I did this 8 day route in July 2019. It is completely doable if you train appropriately. Summit day is tough, but doable. Celebrated my 40th birthday on the mountain. If this old lady can do it...so can you!

One of the best experiences of my life! Lemosho was a perfect route-plenty of time to acclimate and also awesome to really get to enjoy the mountain and the different vegetation zones. Lots of monkeys, birds, wildflowers, and beautiful views. The Barranco Wall was great fun as well-a playground for grown ups. Highly recommend!

Trip of a lifetime. The Lemosho route was an excellent choice. A very scenic route that allowed for just enough time to acclimate.

We did this trail in August 2018 and it was amazing. Did the trek with Embark and the guides and team were incredible. The variety of terrain is awesome and the entire experience was life enhancing. Loved all 7 days of our adventure.

Did this route as the 8 day option. It was by far the hardest thing that I have ever done both physically and mentally. This was an amazing accomplishment and a trip of a lifetime. All six of our group summitted although that is very rare. If you are going to climb Kili train, train, and train some more!

This is the route we plan to take in August 2019 with the camps that we will use. I couldn't find a route with the precise route and camps we will use so I created my own.

Best hike I have ever done!

Did this hike in November, following the Lemosho trail over 7 days and it was amazing! The final night hike was cold, so I was glad our tour group reviewed equipment ahead of time to make sure we were set. I ended up taking Diamox for altitude sickness but my partner did not- we both lost our appetites around day 3, however. I had some wild headaches... but it was worth it!! Such a feeling of accomplishment at the summit, even though it’s really thanks to the amazing porters and support staff. Make sure to budget money for individual tips, maybe research ahead of time. We barely had enough in 3 currencies to tip everyone (rookie move). This hike is a geologist’s dream- we stopped often to look at the awesome mineralogy.

You could get to the summit faster but many who try have to turn back. Nice easy ascent and acclimatization on this route. Pretty exposed and weather is unpredictable. Awesome summit views to keep you going and some wonderful exciting rock scramble sections. Amazing to see waterfalls at altitude and move through so many ecosystems. Don’t rush this experience - up is optional down is mandatory.

I hiked this with a group of friends July 2018. one of the best hikes we have ever done! We went with a group called Peak Planet and it took us 9 days to do the hike. 7 of those days you are above 10,000 feet. However the decent is the hardest part of this hike because in one day you go down about 7,000 feet. tough on the knees. Listen to your guide about gear. Don't try and skimp on clothing because you will regret it. The one thing I wish I brought but didn't were crampons. They would have been helpful for the summit day. overall amazing hike. would do again!

Just succeed two days ago wonderful chalenge great team did lemosho route and wow when reaching the sommet at sunshine

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Amazing is the best word. Make sure to get a good guide company, I used Ultimate Kilimanjaro and they were great. The only thing you can’t control is the altitude sickness, if you get it then the only thing you can do is take the pills, so bring them along just in case. Enjoy your group that you are with as you will be spending every day with them walking and eating every meal together. 4 + years later we still get together for weddings and try to plan a new group adventure. Do it you will love it!

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Just came back after this amazing 8 day Lemosho Route. A beautiful route in the first days before meeting up with other routes. You will see monkeys on the first day. Some days are more difficult than others, but none compare to summit day. It was close to 7 hours in the dark and cold making a slow and steady assent to the peak. A great test of endurance I hope to never forget. Sunrise was breathtaking.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Hard, yes. I summited at age 65 after about 6 months semi-serious training with lots of cycling for my legs, stepper at the Y and three practice climbs up to Wheeler Peak in NM for altitude training (13,300). g Adventures was my climbing company and I couldn’t recommend them more. Samwell Danford was our leader. We had a group of 11 and all summited, although our 22 year-old from Switzerland was an hour behind us. Perfect blue sky day and temperature +2 C on top. The acclimatization days via Lemosho were instrumental in getting everyone up. I was the only one in our group to experience no altitude sickness save for two minor headaches treated with ibuprofen. All others had various combinations of blurred vision, vomiting, dizziness and abdominal cramps. I was the oldest in the group, so maybe I trained more to compensate. This was my first major hike to altitude. I’m planning Everest Base Camp in March 2019. Longer trek, but a little less altitude - not much, tho - and a lot more crowded. My advice: train, use good gear (try out those boots - I replaced mine as a result of my Wheeler experience) and choose a company with a good track record. You can do it on the cheap, but you’re worth the investment. Skip any company that says it has oxygen tanks. If you really need oxy, you’ve exceeded your limit and knew it. Descent is the only treatment for AMS. Oxygen is for Everest (and not EBC).

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Amazing, amazing, amazing!!! Did it in sept 2016. The hike is easy the difficult part is the altitude which makes you go super slow. Diamox help with the altitude, I was fine all the way to the top. Only one day we had to do some scrabbling in the Barranco wall and the day of the summit was brutal but so much worth it once you start seeing the sunrise and then reaching the top. Best experience ever!!!

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Amazing route!

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Was an extremely good climb and good weather to boot. It’s not all that physically exhausting however it can get extremely cold with winds on the final accent. Good clothes and gloves are a must. Doers do and triers try

Monday, February 19, 2018

Feb 2018 summit. Lemosho Route in 6 days, vs the recommended 7-8 days.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Spent Christmas 2017 on Kili with both college aged sons on 7 day Lemosho route. What a wonderful experience with beautiful landscapes and plant life. 5 days of moderate hiking 5-7 hours was engaging and great fun. Summit day was difficult and demanding for 7 hours to the summit and so rewarding up top with glaciers all around and views of the curvature of the earth. Then 8 hours down to 10,000 ft was just mind and body numbing. Wonderful people along the way and great food as well. Used Diamox and had no alt symptoms. Trip of a lifetime, great conversations without social media distractions! Highly recommend the journey!