Matterhorn Glacier Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Zermatt, Valais, Switzerland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 557 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Late October 2019. Trail is completely buried in snow.

Super nice walk. We took the cable car all the way to the top and went to the Glacier Palace before the walk.

Can't get a better view of Matterhorn than from this trail. However we were hiking in sneakers and I slipped off the rock and fell (my bad). If you are hiking down to Schwarzee, watch out for slippery and sharp rocks, the descend can be a bit dangerous without hiking boots.

Magic

Lucky to get moving clouds to see the peak in and out of the clouds. The trail is well marked, but I wouldn’t want to do it in the rain, and there are a few short steep spots as well as talus, so it could be extra slippery when wet. Took the cable car up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and then down to Trockner Steg to start. Lots of people on the trail but not overcrowded.

Really enjoyed this hike. We did it in the afternoon after doing the 5 lakes trail in the morning, but I think it would be even better as a morning hike, as the sun would be behind you, and lighting up the east face of the Matterhorn. The trail is easy to follow, and probably most people 7-70 could do this with little problem, as it is gently downhill for most of the trail.

What an amazing route! We took our 7 and 10 year old on this one. We took the gondola from Zermatt all the way to Matterhorn glacier paradise which is a must see, then went down to gandegg-hutte via the gondola and hiked from there to Schwarzsee. It is most definitely not a good idea to hike all the way back down unless your kids are extremely fit. On the last portion to the gondola at Schwarzsee there is some portions with light scree and I had to help my youngest down or she would have fell off the side or slide a bit. The views are amazing and I highly recommend!!!!

So vast and incredible. Loved it. Well marked.

If you want to get up close to the Matterhorn, this is a wonderful way to do it! Most of the trail was slow going for us, due to rock and scree, but the scenery is absolutely breathtaking!

Thu Mar 14 2019

Amazing trail

Thu Jan 10 2019

Great hike with my family right to the base of the Matterhorn, at 10,000’. Beautiful glacial lakes, streams, and surreal landscape with no vegetation. Fantastic view of the Alps and distant peaks. Trail well marked. We were lucky to have gorgeous weather and clear skies. Time permitting, I suggest you continue all the way down to Zmutt and then onto Zermatt. An 11 out of ten!