Hohbalmen is a 20.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Zermatt, Valais, Switzerland that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 20.8 km Elevation Gain: 1,237 m Route Type: Loop

closed

David hit the nail on the head. It’s an incredible hike with beautiful sights in all directions. Didn’t get to see the Matterhorn because of the weather, but I can imagine it would be spectacular. That said, this trail is nowhere near hikeable yet. After 2 weeks spent hiking some gnarly Swiss trails, this was by far the toughest and I certainly had butterflies in my stomach for awhile. I wouldn’t hike this until at least late July and you should still come well equipped and start early on a good weather day.

closed

Beautiful trail, but absolutely not ready to be hiked yet. Waste deep snow and washed out trails. Patrick reviewed this trail 2 weeks ago stating it was one of the best ever, and I could agree with that, but we were probably one of the first on the trail this season and unless you’re confident and outfitted for probably 30% of the hike to be through snow, don’t do it. I would reassess conditions around end of July.

Absolutely amazing views. I happened to take this last minute on a recommendation. Turned out to be one of the best hikes I’ve ever taken in my entire life. Tons of elevation change, and great views of Matterhorn and the ranges on the Italian side. Waterfall and reservoir were huge bonuses

One of the greatest day hikes I have ever had the chance to complete in my life. Far less busy than the other side of the valley (due to the absence of gondolas), this hike will take you through a superb variety of landscapes and breathtaking views. My absolute favorite in Zermatt for serious hiking that does not require special mountaineering equipment and extensive preparation.