Oberhornsee Loop is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gimmelwald, Bern, Switzerland that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until August.

Point to Point

An absolutely amazing hike, up with the best I have ever completed. Ive been to Switzerland 5 times so I am fairly accustomed to the landscape, but this hike took my breath away yet again!

Countless waterfalls (50+), Oberhornsee lake, a herd of Ibex, snow storm’s and (distant) avalanches... what else could you want!!

We completed this hike twice, 4 days apart, due to the first hike being completed in clouds with close to 20-50m visibility in below freezing conditions, and knowing what switzerland is, I knew we were walking past some jaw-dropping views, plus the reason we did this hike was because I wanted to hike to the glacier/point where the Lauterbrunnen River starts, and having poor conditions meant we were unable to find the answer.

A few days later we had a sunny clear day and completed the hike again which showed us the beauty that was originally being hidden from us. We had no regrets about doing the same hike again as this time our eyes were glued to the scenery, and we even went for a swim (twice) at Oberhornsee and enjoyed the view for hours!

Hike 1 - Loop (20km & 1300m) : Stechelberg-Trachsellauenen-Obersteinberg-Oberhornsee-Schmadribachfall-Schmadrihütte-Stechelberg

Hike 2 - Return w/miniloop (24km & 1200m) : Gimmelwald-Obersteinberg-Oberhornsee-Schmadribachfall-Oberhorn-Obersteinberg-Gimmelwald

Difficulty : Hard, both are very steep at times, tough and gruelling but well worth the result and views at the end. Just prepare your knees for the way down :) I would recommend doing the Hike 1 hopefully on a clear sunny day so you can swim at Oberhornsee, but if its a cloudy day and its your only chance, still do it, you will not regret it!!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Absolutely stunning hiking trail! My partner and I did it twice while in Switzerland this past week. The first time it was really cloudy and misty the whole time and we could not see all the views in front of us, but when we got to the top it started to snow! It was magical! Since it was so cloudy we did it again on a clear day and it was well worth it! My new favourite hike in Switzerland!

Sunday, July 02, 2017