Hardergrat: Interlaken to Brienzer Rothorn Station

Hardergrat: Interlaken to Brienzer Rothorn Station is a 23.3 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Interlaken, Bern, Switzerland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 23.3 km Elevation Gain: 2,419 m Route Type: Point to Point

The Hardergrat is one of the most famous day hikes in Switzerland. Even in a country of beautiful hikes, this one stands out as exceptionally stunning. Amazing views of the Jungfrau Region’s highest peaks; the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, Schreckhorn and Finsteraarhorn await. Most of this hike is on a steep, stark, grassy ridge, with significant drops on both sides. In some places the ground plummets 1500 meters alongside the trail. If you are scared of heights this may not be the trail for you. Do not attempt this hike when it has rained or is wet as a slippery trail like this is very dangerous. The route is not an official trail, but a path does stay on the ridge and you will find fixed cables at the more exposed sections. Use caution at all times and know your limits. Trekking poles are highly recommended. Get an early start when hiking this trail. The train down from Brienzer Rothorn can be slow going. Figure out what time the last train departs ahead of time as it is a long walk down otherwise.

The hike was demanding but so worth it. We didn't finish the whole trail as we were running out of time and water. Good fitness level required as there is up and down all the way. Be prepared to hike for 10 or more hours unless you are super fast

absolutely amazing hike. I went west to east from interlaken on Oct 1, hitting the trail at 330am and it took me 13 hours with stops. 4 Liters of water was about right for me. I had to ration some the last 2 hours but had a bit left over at the end. There were one or two parts where the exposure is a bit more severe as some of the other reviews indicated but I was relatively comfortable for 90% of this hike and going west to east built up my confidence in the terrain before hitting the exposed sections. I don't know how anybody could do this without trekking poles but I did run into such a person going the opposite direction.

The most AMAZING mountain what we ever done in 4 years living in Switzerland!!! Must do it absolutely!

Amazingly beautiful but really scary! We took the cog train up and did the hike as an out and back starting at the Rothorn Station. It was cloudy when we left the lake but we crossed through the clouds about 10 minutes from the station - unbelievable! We went out about 1.5 miles and turned back but I am pretty sure we got a taste of just about every challenge hiking can offer in that short time. If you are in the area this is a must do hike!

This hike was The scariest hike I’ve ever done. I am afraid of heights though, I’ve done angels landing, half dome, Grand Canyon, etc, they were hard but this one was not as hard, but more dangerous. There were many parts where if you misstepped, you can definitely die. A friendly stranger named Daniel escorted me down to a lower elevation, didn’t make it to the end :( I hope this review does not sway anyone from doing it, it was just hard for me because I’m afraid of heights.

This is a gorgeous ridge trail with some really exciting sections where you have to be quite careful. I did it after a day of rain so it was still quite muddy in parts but still manageable. I did it from Rothorn to Harder Kulm (21 km) and it took me around 8 hours with breaks. I think it's definitely an easier walk this way, although the descent at the end can get quite tiring for your knees. I had 3l of water but could've really used another one as it was sunny and warm. Some fun scrambles in sections of the hike but this is really not a hike for somebody afraid of heights.

An absolute must do for any seriously hiker staying in Interlaken. One of the most impressive ridges in the world

(Went in June 2018).:Probably one of the craziest, most gorgeous and hardest trail I've done in a one-day hike. As I was with someone less in shape than I was, we decided to do it the other way around (compared to everyone). We had a car in Interlaken and took a train to Brienz. There, you can take a slow, but stunning vapor train up to Brienz Rothorn. Its normally very expensive to go up, but from the beginning of June, the first of the morning is half price (in a first come-first serve basis). The hike to the restaurant on the Ridge was simply gorgeous, we just didn't know which way to look at! But, some part still had snow on, so we had to be extra careful about it. With a slow partner, it took us about 10h to reach the restaurant, and, contrarely to what has been mentioned earlier in another review, you can pay your way down from the restaurant, but cash only, and if there are some places left (we were lucky, we grabbed 2 of the last 3 places!) After that, enjoy a well deserved night of sleep :)

Did the whole Hardergrat trail today, starting in Interlaken and ending at Briemz Rothorn. I started at 5:15 am and made it to the station at 4:40pm. I definitely would have started earlier to make sure I made the last train down at 5:40 pm but I didn't have a headlamp, so I started right at sunrise. When I started I had 4.5 L of water on me, I drank one liter by time I got to Harder Klum and refilled it in the bathroom there, and had less than half a liter left when I finished the hike. I would recommend having at least 5 liters from the start. There were a few small snow patches near Augstmatthorn, but they were safely crossable. Closer to Brienz Rothorn on the north side of the ridge there are still 3 sections with a decent amount of snow. One of them is a very steep uphill section, I would highly recommend having an ice axe for this section. I was given a 2 ft long piece of rebar by someone hiking the other direction that I used as an ice axe/trekking pole, don't know if I would have made it without that. In a few weeks the snow will have melted completely and it will be much safer.

We did this trail in two sections , the first from Interlaken to Lombachalp taking the funicular from Interlaken to Harder Kulm Panorama Restaurant. From there the trail starts climbing through some forests,it takes a little patience but once you reach the open meadows and Suggiture comes in to view it becomes well worth it. The ridge trail between Suggiture and Augstmatthorn has is absolutely beautiful and makes you want to run. Just before reaching Augstmatthorn you pass the trail sign that will lead you to Lombach Alp They can arrange for a ride to Habkern where hourly buses go to Interlaken. To hike from Lombach Alp to Habkern would take about 1 hour 3.2 miles. through open fields. The second section we did from Brienzer Rothorn to Lombach Alp in spite of starting at the top it still gets about 3000ft. altitude gain. For this section it definitely needs to be dry as there are parts in the critical sections that become very slick when wet. This is the section with some spectacular Crest walks that require total concentration I usually never use hiking sticks, but here they can ad a sense of safely. What is amazing is that many of these Mountains look hard and intimidating at first but before you know it you’re on top.

We started from the top of the funicular so we skipped the first 2.5 miles ($16 one way) so it could cut off about 5 miles and 1500 feet of elevation. From the top of the funicular we hiked 2.3 miles (one way) to a cool lookout. Before that it was mostly a really nice walk through a wooded area with some steep drops but only a few semi clear spots to look out and no big vistas going only that far. After one big climb at the start it was just small ups and downs. We got rained out so the grassy ridgeline will have to wait until another time, not sure how much farther it was. One note: if you don't buy a round trip ticket on the funicular from the bottom, you're committed to walking down because they don't sell tickets at the top. We learned this the hard way in the rain.