Learn more

The King’s Trail is a 65.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Abisko, Norrbotten, Sweden that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 65.4 mi Elevation gain 8,103 ft Route type Point to Point

Wildlife

Off trail

Description
Waypoints (0)

This route is a portion of the Kings Trail which runs for 270 miles between Abisko and Hemavan. The trail includes plank walkways covering swampy or rocky ground, but other sections further from the trailheads are eroded and rocky, increasing the difficulty of hiking some parts of the trail. The trail is separated in four portions--each representing approximately one week of hiking.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (18)
Photos (44)
Recordings (15)
Completed (36)
अरुण M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 09 2020
BackpackingIcyOff trailRockySnow
Travel&Tech Blackman Walking
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 24 2019
HikingGreat!

I have been lucky to have hiked lost of places in the world and after doing this with my wife, it is one of my top five. Great views and very nice huts. The people we met were also very nice. Frankly, I love chopping wood and getting water after a nice day of hiking. Both my wife and I are over 60 so not needing to carry a tent or heavy sleeping bags made the trip easy. I would not call this a hard walk but more of a enjoyable series of walks. If I were younger I would have done it without staying in huts now that I am older - hut-to-hut hiking is great.

Chloe Barbier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 13 2019
Hiking

It was an amazing 6-day-trek ! Landscapes are very beautiful and you can enjoy lots of wildlife such as reindeers, lots of birds and of course mosquitoes!! We slept in a tent and it was really convenient if you’re not scared or the weight to carry! Water from rivers and lake is drinkable. Hikes are not that difficult but can be quite long. Just to it!! It’s incredible!!

Manon Villalba
Hiking

Magnifique !! Tout est très bien indiqué. Nous l’avons effectué dans le sens Nikkaluokta- Abisko en 6 jours, en tente et en refuge une nuit. Attention, il peut faire froid la nuit.

Lizzy Bakker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 05 2019
Hiking

One of the best multi day hikes in my life. Especially after Singhi towards vakkatovare - most people go east to kebnekaise, making the first part quite busy and the second part wonderfully quiet.

Darren Daugherty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 22 2019
BackpackingBugsRocky

DETAILS of our trek on the northern loop My sons (ages 22 and 19) and I hiked the trail July 2019. I am 51 years old. Day before the hike: Our airplane arrived in Kiruna at 11:00 am. We then took the bus to the central bus station, and walked to Stejk Street Food. We had the reindeer subs, which were wonderful. After eating, we went back to the bus station and got on the bus to Abisko (this bus is only available twice per day, so make sure that you know the schedule). We stayed at the Abisko Touristation, which is at the start of the Kungsleden. I highly recommend staying there. The cleanliness, accommodations, and convenience makes it the best place to stay before starting the trail. Day 1: We started from Abisko in the morning between 5:00 and 6:00 am, and we reached Abiskojaure around 10:30 am. The trail between Abisko and Abiskojaure (15 kilometers, 9.5 miles) is quite easy, so we felt very good. After a break, we decided to continue to Alesjaure (21 kilometers, 13 miles). We had done a lot of research, but we did not imagine the trail being covered with so many rocks. Our progress was slower because of the rocks and the times we had to remove our shoes to ford across shallow rivers. The first portion is easy, walking through birch-tree filled valleys. With various explorative detours, our distance on Day 1 was 40 kilometers, 25 miles). Day 2: We departed from Alesjaure near 7:30 am, and we witnessed one of our favorite portions of the trail from Alesjaure to Tjaktja (12 kilometers, 7.5 miles). We will never forget our mid-morning snack as we sat on boulders surrounded by mountains, valleys, rivers, etc. Beautiful! We had a late lunch at Tjakta, and then walked to Salka (12 kilometers, 7.5 miles). This part of the trail had the most rocks of any other portion. It was during this part of the trail that we often said, "How is this considered a trail?" But, like all the other parts of the trail, it was filled with breathtaking views. We actually hiked through snow for about 200 meters. Because of all the zig-zaging between rocks/boulders, my pedometer registered at 34 kilometers, 21 miles for the day. We pitched our tent next to a river and had a great night of sleep. Day 3: We departed from Salka early in the morning, arriving at Singi for a late lunch break (12 kilometers, 7.5 miles). The first part of that leg of the trail was easy and majestic. Then, rocks again :-). From Singi to Kebnakaise (14 kilometers, 9 miles) began with a lot of rocks and elevation. Then it involves a lot of up and down hills on the rock-covered trail. The end of that part of the trail includes a beautiful valley, more beautiful rapids, bridges, and trees (for the first time in days). Tenting is free near the Kebnakaise touristation, as long as you stay outside of the immediate location of the buildings. We found a beautiful campsite surounded by birch trees. Once again, due to all the zig-zagging through rocks and boulders, my pedometer registered more than the actual distance (36 kilometers, 22.5 miles). Day 4: After three grueling days, we were looking forward to our shortest walk. From Kebnekaise to Nikkaluokta is 19 kilometers, 12 miles, and it is a beautiful trek. We observed that a lot of people simply hike from Nikkaluokta to Kebnekaise and back. Because Kebnekaise has a restaurant and other accommodations, this seems like a nice shorter hike (or one can take the helicopter between them for a high price). The walk was scenic and easy. We were amused that the two ends of the Abisko-Nikkaluokta are the easiest parts of the trail, giving some hikers a false sense of what is to come :-). When we arrived in Nikkaluokta, crossing the finish line was a wonderful experience. We ate, rested, and waited about 4 hours for the next bus to Kiruna. Having cell phone coverage was nice, because I was able to reserve a room in a hotel in Kiruna. By the way, the Scandic is a great hotel in Kiruna, and it has a wonderful breakfast buffet. OTHER PRACTICAL DETAILS The mosquitoes are overwhelming, so bring a lot of repellent. We used deet wipes, which worked well, but we had to wipe a number of times each day. We even had to wipe on our shirts and hats, because the mosquitoes would bite through them. The worst portion of the trail for mosquitoes was between Abiskojaure and Alesjaure. The huts can be expensive if you have multiple hikers, but they seem to be a popular option for many people. The best equipment I had with me was trekking poles. Between all the rocks, thin boards, etc. it was a miracle that I didn't fall at all. I'm not sure if I'd recommend hiking the trail in 3.5 days, but it is an experience that my sons and I will cherish for the rest or our lives.

Matt Durham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 26 2019
Hiking

just a short bit in Abisko.

View Matt's Recording
Anthony Van den Wijngaert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 23 2019
BackpackingRocky

Definitely the most memorable trail I've ever hiked. I went in september 2017 with 3 friends. We had 2 tents and went from Abisko to Nikkaluokta. We were so lucky that we caught the magical northern lights not one, not two but three nights! I will never forget this. This is a must do if you're looking for an unforgettable adventure

Alberto Danieli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 26 2019

we start in Abisko, we trek for a week about 100 km. Very nice few people, you can sleep in the huts or camp. Rich of water.

Leon Pfeiffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 23 2018

The Kungsleden trail is the most beautiful and exciting hike I've ever done. The nature is very scandinavian and breathtaking. Wide horizons, turquoise lakes, a lot of reindeer, and cozy refuges with kind staff made this trip special. I did the part from Abisko to Nikkaluoakta in 2016. It was about 100km in 6 days. The weather was mild and beautiful. I recommend taking 7-8 days for relaxed hiking. Theres no need for heavy backpacks as food can be bought and prepared cheaply in the refuges, and water can be drunk from most lakes and streams.

Steve Hedstrom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 08 2018

I only did about ten miles. Very nice path. Many backpackers from all over Europe.

walter bulkens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 30 2018
HikingBridge outBugs

Hello. The kungsleden is a nice easy walk from Abisko to Hemavan. Most people walk only the first 100 km in the North. I have walked the trail from South to North in 17 days, including 1 rest day. About 450 kilometers, started on June 30, 2018. The great thing is the midnight sun, it is the end of June, 24 hour daylight. The route is well marked and there are many mountain huts so you can walk without a tent. I have slept most nights in my tent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktqMYKM5G8&t=175s

Matteo Bucci
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 15 2020
Angela x Christina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Nov 28 2019
View Angela's Recording
Yasoob Khalid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Oct 28 2019
View Yasoob's Recording
Rogerd Morales
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 06 2019
Kyösti Meriläinen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 10 2019
Jan Willem Vd Velde
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Apr 27 2017